Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How fast is your Internet Connection?

• Please log in to reply
402 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

From what you've said, with other people in your area having the same problem, I'd say it's an overload situation - too many subscribers on the same node. I'm not familiar with the terminology used here, but what's needed is additional equipment on Cablevision's lines in your area to distribute the load.

My opinion of Cablevision has changed drastically in the last year. One problem after another, one story after another. An absolute lack of communication between departments. I'm not sure what they need, but baffling me with BS is getting old. I do agree that they need to upgrade their equipment, but if you could see how they operate, you wouldn't see them doing that in the near future. You can only put so many patches in any system, sooner or later the balloon will just burst.

Yesterday, another tech was here with one of their new meters and he saw no errors. As soon as he left, I lost the Net and had to do a complete reboot. Then, an hour or so later, I'm watching a streaming NetFlix show and it rebuffers. Normally, this never happens with my BD players. I looked at the cable modem and all the lights were out. As I sat there and watched, they all came back on and the NetFlix show came back on. Sense my frustration?

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:49 AM

Mine is only rated at 3Mbs due to the rural location and distance from the CO and DSLAM. I get that speed on most tests and am able to watch TV on-line with no buffering of stuttering. That could be due to the low population and demand. I think I remember the tech saying there were only a dozen or so subscribers on this node. I don't know what will happen in the future as more people come on, but he did say they are still upgrading the system. Hopefully in the next two years or so, I'll have fiber to within about two miles.

One thing I don't understand is why the signal flakes during storms. Maybe a bad cable splice somewhere. Maybe no power backup on the DSLAM which I would find hard to believe.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#103 OFFLINE   kiknwing

kiknwing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:13 AM

use qwest.speedtest.net instead, and manually pick a server.

My Mom's house. 20/896 I will post from home later, I halso have 12/896
Posted Image

If you let it pick a server, it will pick the best local server
Posted Image

My area is over subscribed, talked to a tech a month ago and he said that they needed to install another dslam. It won't be installed until march but it will be a vdsl2 dslam, I'll wait this out because I live about 400ft from where they have placed the other dslams so I should be able to get close to 40/20 when it finally arrives. But for now I can't complain because they are only charging me $10/month.

#104 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

Well, that didn't work. Verizon only has 3 down in my area. I guess I'll have to deal with CV....:nono2:

Rich

That's what I would have guessed. Chances of finding 7-15 Verizon DSL in these parts is slim since NJ is a FIOS state and they don't want to compete with themselves + distance from CO plays a MAJOR part in speeds you will get.

#105 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

distance from CO plays a MAJOR part in speeds you will get.

The tech that did this install was surprised at the signal strength he got this far away from the DSLAM (somewhere around 17-18,000 cable feet). He figured it was due to the older, heavier gauge trunk cable which is 20 or 22 AWG instead of the 24-26 AWG they use today.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#106 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:11 AM

That's what I would have guessed. Chances of finding 7-15 Verizon DSL in these parts is slim since NJ is a FIOS state and they don't want to compete with themselves + distance from CO plays a MAJOR part in speeds you will get.

If it's a "FIOS" state, why can't I get it? ARRGH!

And from talking to the people at Verizon, we'll never get it where I live. ARRGH, again!

Rich

#107 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:55 AM

If it's a "FIOS" state, why can't I get it? ARRGH!

And from talking to the people at Verizon, we'll never get it where I live. ARRGH, again!

Rich

LOL ... so true. My sister has the same problem down near Toms River. They told her it was because all her developments lines are underground and it's just too much work both physical and political. Here where I am we have so many lines on the poles they wired the whole area in about 30 minutes. Well, maybe 45.

Gotta say though it's a great service. When you pay for 20, you get 20 none of the "up to" or "boost" crap like cable and DSL and it's solid as a rock.

#108 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:28 AM

LOL ... so true. My sister has the same problem down near Toms River. They told her it was because all her developments lines are underground and it's just too much work both physical and political. Here where I am we have so many lines on the poles they wired the whole area in about 30 minutes. Well, maybe 45.

Gotta say though it's a great service. When you pay for 20, you get 20 none of the "up to" or "boost" crap like cable and DSL and it's solid as a rock.

ARGHH!!!

Rich

#109 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

Insist they replace your modem with a DOCSIS 3 modem.... it'll make things MUCH more stable (it uses 4 downstream channels as opposed to jamming everyone in the neighborhood on one channel.)

That's been the remedy for just about everyone I know with Chronic Optimum Syndrome. :)

Just mention DOCSIS 3 and they should do it for you.

Just talked to the tech and he will install that modem. Thanx again.

Don't think it's gonna completely solve my problems tho. Dare I hope?

Rich

#110 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

Just talked to the tech and he will install that modem. Thanx again.

Don't think it's gonna completely solve my problems tho. Dare I hope?

Rich

Let us know how it goes! The DOCSIS 3 modem tends to help since the modem listens on different channels... my suspicion is that your channel (609mhz - Optimum Online BOOST) is overloaded.

How much are you paying for Optimum Online service? If it's what I think it is ($64.95/mo - the unbundled price), you're entitled to upgrade to "BOOST Plus" for free. That's 50mbps instead of 30mbps downstream.

#111 OFFLINE   bikenski

bikenski

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:05 PM

My area is over subscribed, talked to a tech a month ago and he said that they needed to install another dslam. It won't be installed until march but it will be a vdsl2 dslam, I'll wait this out because I live about 400ft from where they have placed the other dslams so I should be able to get close to 40/20 when it finally arrives. But for now I can't complain because they are only charging me $10/month.

It's worth the wait if you're close enough to the node to qualify. Qwest/CenturyLink just upgraded my DSLAM from ADSL2+ to VDSL2, and I signed up for the 40/20 service a few weeks ago. Speed tests are running at 37.5 down / 17.8 up.

#112 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

Let us know how it goes! The DOCSIS 3 modem tends to help since the modem listens on different channels... my suspicion is that your channel (609mhz - Optimum Online BOOST) is overloaded.

How much are you paying for Optimum Online service? If it's what I think it is ($64.95/mo - the unbundled price), you're entitled to upgrade to "BOOST Plus" for free. That's 50mbps instead of 30mbps downstream.

Yup, the tech mentioned that to me and he thought it might be the boost that was causing the problem. I'll call them tomorrow and see what I can do about that. He did say that new subs got the "Boost +" instead of the older boost because they are phasing out the older version.

I'll post about what happens tomorrow. My Net connection just dropped out twice while I was writing this post.

Rich

#113 OFFLINE   fwlogue

fwlogue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

Cox Cable 30 down/5 up slow tonight compared to normal

Posted Image
Fred

AU9 > WB68 and SWM5 > 3 - HR20-700, 2 - R15, 1 - H20-600

#114 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

Yup, the tech mentioned that to me and he thought it might be the boost that was causing the problem. I'll call them tomorrow and see what I can do about that. He did say that new subs got the "Boost +" instead of the older boost because they are phasing out the older version.

I'll post about what happens tomorrow. My Net connection just dropped out twice while I was writing this post.

Rich

That is absolutely, completely, 100% unacceptable.

Please check your private messages here.... I have a way to get some attention at Cablevision.

#115 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,670 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

What is the norm for "acceptable range" of advertised speed? 85%?

#116 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

That is absolutely, completely, 100% unacceptable.

Please check your private messages here.... I have a way to get some attention at Cablevision.

Your PM was much appreciated. I seem to have the problem resolved. I now have the proper modem and the Boost Plus and the Net is working properly. Thanx again, for your help.

Rich

#117 OFFLINE   fmcomputer

fmcomputer

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationYpungstown. Ohio

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:02 PM

Anyone have any experience with XRoads load balancing system. I have a client that has 4 DSL Modems with AT&T that we are trying to interface.

#118 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

Posted Image

#119 OFFLINE   cajunrc

cajunrc

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:21 AM

LUS Fiber, Lafayette, LA

Download 46.9Mbps
Upload 47.2Mbps

#120 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:41 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

windstream 12Mb package (highest available in my town).

varies between 9Mb and 14Mb.

Edited by brant, 27 August 2011 - 10:48 PM.

#121 OFFLINE   vipersl

vipersl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:00 PM

Posted Image
HR44-700
HR20-700
Samsung PN59D8000
Samsung UN40FH6030
Onkyo TXNR818

#122 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,199 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:39 PM

Roadrunner Wideband at full speed. Not bad!

Posted Image

#123 OFFLINE   Chrismon1001

Chrismon1001

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Chrismon1001, 01 September 2011 - 06:19 PM.

FR - Mitsubishi 75" Den - Mitsubishi 65" BR 1 - Mitsubishi 55" BR 2 - Mitsubishi 46"
4 x HR24 - CINEMA Connection Kit – NFL Remote - Protection Plan
Premier Package - HD Extra Pack - Fox Soccer Plus - GSN Game Lounge
Blizzcon - NFL Sunday Ticket - NFL Sunday Ticket To-Go - MLS Direct Kick
1/2 Seasons: MLB Extra Innings - NBA League Pass
ESPN: GamePlan, FullCourt Via ESPN3 - Windstream: Basic Cable - 24 Mbps DSL - Phone
Netflix - Hulu Plus - Crunchyroll - Amazon Prime - NHL GameCenter Live
Music Unlimited/Spotify - Pandora One - SiriusXM Online

#124 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:13 PM

I've always been happy with my download speed, I just wish upload was faster.
Posted Image

Edited by Indiana627, 04 September 2011 - 01:32 PM.

Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#125 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:58 PM

Can someone explain this ping to me!?!?

I saw it on DSLReports.com in the comments on http://www.dslreport...Rankings-115983
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...