Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How fast is your Internet Connection?

• Please log in to reply
357 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

Fios Home 20/5 NJ

Posted Image

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 813 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:55 PM

FIOS 35/35

Posted Image

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/150

#83 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:41 AM

I pay Comcast for 20/3:

Posted Image

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#84 OFFLINE   kiknwing

kiknwing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 493 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:06 AM

Centurylink 12mbps/892kbps
Posted Image
:nono2:

#85 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:08 AM

I pay Comcast for 20/3:

Posted Image

That's definitely Burst Mode.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#86 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,610 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:25 AM

I have Cablevision and my speeds are (or should be, if they would stay constant) 30 down and 5 up. But I'm at the end of my patience with CV's Internet service. The speed fluctuates between 15 and 30 down and I see no pattern to it at all. I have had packet loss problems for at least two years, on and off. It's a good day for me if I can connect to the Net at all. I just had one of their contractors out Thursday and he tracked the problem to the box on the pole. Now I've got a guy coming to my home tomorrow and another guy coming out to resolve the problems on the pole. This goes on about every two months.

So, I'm gonna give Verizon High Speed Internet a shot. The speeds they list on their website are 7.1-15 down. No commitment. I'll give that a try for a month and if it works, I'll dump CV. Naturally Trailblazer gets FIOS and I can't, even tho we just live a few miles from each other.

Anybody have Verizon High Speed Internet? I'd be very interested to hear any pros or cons about it.

Rich

#87 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:09 PM

I want this at home
Posted Image

#88 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

I have Cablevision and my speeds are (or should be, if they would stay constant) 30 down and 5 up. But I'm at the end of my patience with CV's Internet service. The speed fluctuates between 15 and 30 down and I see no pattern to it at all. I have had packet loss problems for at least two years, on and off. It's a good day for me if I can connect to the Net at all. I just had one of their contractors out Thursday and he tracked the problem to the box on the pole. Now I've got a guy coming to my home tomorrow and another guy coming out to resolve the problems on the pole. This goes on about every two months.

So, I'm gonna give Verizon High Speed Internet a shot. The speeds they list on their website are 7.1-15 down. No commitment. I'll give that a try for a month and if it works, I'll dump CV. Naturally Trailblazer gets FIOS and I can't, even tho we just live a few miles from each other.

Anybody have Verizon High Speed Internet? I'd be very interested to hear any pros or cons about it.

Rich

Have you tried going here http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all ?

There are two Optonline forums, one is direct and one is users helping. They seem to be able to get things resolved.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#89 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:12 AM

So, I'm gonna give Verizon High Speed Internet a shot. The speeds they list on their website are 7.1-15 down. No commitment.

Seriously? 7.1-15 down? Are you sure it's not .71 to 1.5? :eek2: Their "HSI" is DSL isn't it (for which you need a PSTN line)? Never seen "home" DSL at those speeds unless maybe if you are 100 feet from the CO. I had their HSI for a while (it was ~3 years ago so I guess it may have changed) and was paying for "up to" 3megs, never got more that 1 because I am at just about 15,000 feet from CO.

Edit: Just checked their website and yep, I see that tier listed. Still sounds fishy unless you are right on top of the CO.

#90 OFFLINE   CHEDDA

CHEDDA

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:50 AM

comcast 50dn 10up from home
Posted Image

#91 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,919 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:20 AM

Seriously? 7.1-15 down? Are you sure it's not .71 to 1.5? :eek2: Their "HSI" is DSL isn't it (for which you need a PSTN line)? Never seen "home" DSL at those speeds unless maybe if you are 100 feet from the CO. I had their HSI for a while (it was ~3 years ago so I guess it may have changed) and was paying for "up to" 3megs, never got more that 1 because I am at just about 15,000 feet from CO.

Edit: Just checked their website and yep, I see that tier listed. Still sounds fishy unless you are right on top of the CO.

When I had Zoomtown Turbo, I got 8-10 down, it was ADSL2. Distance certainly is an issue, but you don't have to be quite that close, though I am fairly close to mine.

#92 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,610 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:44 AM

Have you tried going here http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all ?

There are two Optonline forums, one is direct and one is users helping. They seem to be able to get things resolved.

Don't know if I can face another forum, but I'll try. Didn't even know that one existed. Thanx for the link. I think I'll try Verizon for a month and see how that works out. A tech came out this morning, but it was raining pretty hard and he didn't get much done. He did tell me that I'm not the only one in this area that has problems. And they all sound like my problems. Perhaps it's time for a change. I think that the Verizon DSL only costs about $45 with no commitment and I think 15 down will suffice. By the time a month passes, perhaps CV can fix my problem and then I can decide which one to keep.

Rich

#93 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,610 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:53 AM

It's worth a try, I've had my Net drop out twice in the last five minutes. I've been living with this CV crap for years and I'm sick of it. 7-15 down should work, shouldn't it? I'm gonna order it today. I'm thoroughly sick of Cablevision. Everybody they send out has a different opinion and nothing helps.

Sounds fishy? Wouldn't surprise me one bit. But I gotta try something. I can't keep this up. Anyone got any ideas? Any better suggestions? I'm open to anything at this point.

Rich

#94 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,610 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

Well, that didn't work. Verizon only has 3 down in my area. I guess I'll have to deal with CV....:nono2:

Rich

#95 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

Centurylink 12mbps/892kbps
Posted Image
:nono2:

use qwest.speedtest.net instead, and manually pick a server.

My Mom's house. 20/896 I will post from home later, I halso have 12/896
Posted Image

If you let it pick a server, it will pick the best local server
Posted Image

#96 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

Home Centurylink 12M/896K
auto selected
Posted Image

Manual select
Posted Image

#97 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:05 PM

Posted Image

JACK,

#98 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:02 PM

Don't know if I can face another forum, but I'll try. Didn't even know that one existed. Thanx for the link. I think I'll try Verizon for a month and see how that works out. A tech came out this morning, but it was raining pretty hard and he didn't get much done. He did tell me that I'm not the only one in this area that has problems. And they all sound like my problems. Perhaps it's time for a change. I think that the Verizon DSL only costs about $45 with no commitment and I think 15 down will suffice. By the time a month passes, perhaps CV can fix my problem and then I can decide which one to keep.

Rich

Insist they replace your modem with a DOCSIS 3 modem.... it'll make things MUCH more stable (it uses 4 downstream channels as opposed to jamming everyone in the neighborhood on one channel.)

That's been the remedy for just about everyone I know with Chronic Optimum Syndrome. :)

Just mention DOCSIS 3 and they should do it for you.

#99 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,610 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:25 AM

Insist they replace your modem with a DOCSIS 3 modem.... it'll make things MUCH more stable (it uses 4 downstream channels as opposed to jamming everyone in the neighborhood on one channel.)

That's been the remedy for just about everyone I know with Chronic Optimum Syndrome. :)

Just mention DOCSIS 3 and they should do it for you.

I will do that tomorrow when the tech is due to arrive, thanx. I've also got a problem that doesn't seem to concern the modem. I have errors on the pole that must be coming downstream on a feeder from somewhere. They don't seem to be able to correct that. Since I have no other options at the moment, unless someone can suggest something, I'll have to be more persistent.

Rich

#100 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,449 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:09 AM

I will do that tomorrow when the tech is due to arrive, thanx. I've also got a problem that doesn't seem to concern the modem. I have errors on the pole that must be coming downstream on a feeder from somewhere. They don't seem to be able to correct that. Since I have no other options at the moment, unless someone can suggest something, I'll have to be more persistent.

Rich

From what you've said, with other people in your area having the same problem, I'd say it's an overload situation - too many subscribers on the same node. I'm not familiar with the terminology used here, but what's needed is additional equipment on Cablevision's lines in your area to distribute the load.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

Protected By... spam firewall...And...