Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Voom is dead on April 30th?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:26 AM

Cablevision to discontinue satellite-TV venture

Company plans to shut down Voom April 30The Associated Press

Updated: 8:16 a.m. ET April 8, 2005NEW YORK - Cablevision Systems Corp. on Friday said it has decided to proceed with the planned shutdown of its money-losing Voom satellite television service.

In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Cablevision said it will close its Rainbow DBS unit, which operates Voom. The satellite TV service will no longer be available to customers as of April 30.

More

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:31 AM

Yep, I should have ordered it a month ago to get an off air antenna installed. :(
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#3 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,271 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:47 AM

I will miss it very much.

The Equator channel fed my soul. :(

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   Hoxxx

Hoxxx

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:54 AM

It would be nice to see E* pick up the Voom originals and offer them as a add on. I wont mind that my local guide data is missing on the 921 as much if I was to spend more time watching HD.

#5 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:58 AM

Rumor is that one reason that Cablevison is teaming up with TW Cable to buy Adelphia is to provide a possible outlet for the HD channels that Rainbow developed for Voom. This purchase could allow those channels to continue as other outlets (other cable companies and satellite companies) for them are developed.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#6 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:11 AM

Yep, I should have ordered it a month ago to get an off air antenna installed. :(

Been there -- did that. :D

- John...

#7 OFFLINE   WJMorales

WJMorales

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:36 AM

I agree. I think Voom 21 should be an option for Dish & DirecTV customers. Lots of us have spent some serious change on HDTV sets. We want more HD!!!!!

#8 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:47 AM

BREAKING NEWS: Cablevision Confirms VOOM Shut Down

#9 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,271 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:49 AM

Richard, you can buy an OTA antenna almost anywhere. But once VOOM is gone, it is likely gone forever, and you will never know what you have missed.

Perhaps that's just as well. You won't have to suffer the pain of impending loss I am feeling right now. :shrug:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#10 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:02 AM

Indeed -- I've enjoyed my two months of VOOM -- although part of that is because I'm getting the VaVaVoom package for free for two months. The HD movies are great -- but I couldn't justify that package all the time price-wise (especially along with my Dish bill). With the standard package, there is some nice HD, but not enough to keep me going forever. What I really want is the networks in HD. Just depressing that there still isn't a good way for me to do that. Once my amplifier arrives, I'm hoping to at least get ABC in HD -- gotta watch my Lost in HD! But, I won't need VOOM for that, of course.

In any case, looks like I'll end up paying for about two months worth -- so around $110-$120. Not bad for two months of VaVaVoom plus a free install of an 8-bay and amplifier (coming next week). So, although I'm sad for people that have had VOOM a long time and such -- it really worked out exactly as planned for myself...

- John...

#11 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:11 AM

The voom web site is down:

http://www.voom.com

Attached Thumbnails

• voomisdead.JPG

#12 OFFLINE   David_Levin

David_Levin

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:19 AM

Wonder if you'll be able to keep the boxes as ATSC tuners?
Bye Bye 921
Now playing with 2x 622s.

#13 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:35 AM

Wow -- they must have JUST changed it -- because I was using it just before I posted that one at 9:02am EST.

I hope they still process my amplifier work order... :)

- John...

#14 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,271 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:37 AM

The vultures are circling, waiting, eagerly waiting to pick the bones...

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#15 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:39 AM

Doh! Just READ it again and see that it says that they aren't going to process any work orders! Grrr...

- John...

#16 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:45 AM

The VoOm shutdown is inevitable, just a matter of time. I would say that the sooner the shutdown the better for CableVision as it is only costing them money to operate. Our future HD providers will be Dish Network, DirecTv or cable. Seeing how VoOm failed so quickly will probably make some companies think twice about starting their own satellite service unless they have a different approach (cheaper prices most likely).

#17 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,271 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:09 AM

The VoOm shutdown is inevitable, just a matter of time. I would say that the sooner the shutdown the better for CableVision as it is only costing them money to operate. Our future HD providers will be Dish Network, DirecTv or cable. Seeing how VoOm failed so quickly will probably make some companies think twice about starting their own satellite service unless they have a different approach (cheaper prices most likely).

Jacob, I agree with your assertions, except where you said "VoOm failed". VOOM didn't fail, the HDTV viewers of America failed. They failed to recognize the heights to which HDTV can aspire; they failed to support a truly superior HD product; they failed to seize the opportunity to improve their lives with quality HD television, but worst of all, they failed to vote for the future of better HD programming.

Most of all, because the preponderance of HD television viewers failed to support the birth and infancy of a great new day in television, this once golden opportunity will not come our way again for a long, long time. They have killed the goose that laid the golden egg of quality HD programming.

As Mickey Newberry once wrote and sang, long, long ago, "The future is not what is used to be..."

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#18 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:17 AM

The fact is that I never even considered ordering Voom, regardless of its HD glory because I can't get a LOS to the 61.5 satellite.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#19 OFFLINE   David_Levin

David_Levin

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:57 AM

Jacob, I agree with your assertions, except where you said "VoOm failed". VOOM didn't fail, the HDTV viewers of America failed. They failed to recognize the heights to which HDTV can aspire; they failed to support a truly superior HD product; they failed to seize the opportunity to improve their lives with quality HD television, but worst of all, they failed to vote for the future of better HD programming.

That really doesn't make any sense. If you have a product to sell, you do what's necessary to get it out there. Most of what you said could be reflected back to Voom as a failure to educate the consumer as to the existance of the superior product.

Personally:
I'd never have switched without a PVR.

I'm a movie fan. HDNet, ShowtimeHD, & HBOHD (as well as DVDs), keeps me plenty busy. I assume that eventually E* will pick up Starz (or I'll switch to cable). Perhaps, if they had a good PVR, I'd take a serious look at the Voom exclusives.
Bye Bye 921
Now playing with 2x 622s.

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,582 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:43 PM

Most of all, because the preponderance of HD television viewers failed to support the birth and infancy of a great new day in television, this once golden opportunity will not come our way again for a long, long time. They have killed the goose that laid the golden egg of quality HD programming.

A lot of people are complaining about the 5 channel HD pack that Dish & DirecTV have for about $10 a month... so it isn't too surprising to me that people didn't line up to jump on the 30 channels for $50 a month bandwagon!

Simply put, there wasn't enough bang for the buck on Voom especially when you consider that most folks would need Voom + Dish/DirecTv/Cable to supplement the other channels they wanted.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...