Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Voom is dead on April 30th?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:49 PM

I think it should be a happy day... yes Voom is going under but the Rainbow-21 suite will be an exciting add-on to current services. I would have to say that whoever gets the channels first would get my vote for my provider for the next couple years. I have been hungering for many of the Voom channels for a while but with my busy schedule I MUST have a dvr. With the add-on it will be a great addition to Cablevision's portfolio, as well as a chance for HD to grow considerably in the masses.
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:50 PM

Been there -- did that.

Rub it in. :lol:
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#23 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 02:13 PM

I just saw a Voom contractor in the neighborhood today. Are they going around picking up leased receivers already?
Mike Richardson

#24 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,354 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:59 PM

I just saw a Voom contractor in the neighborhood today. Are they going around picking up leased receivers already?

Maybe he's an installer that hasn't received the news yet. :shrug:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#25 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:14 PM

Rumor is that one reason that Cablevison is teaming up with TW Cable to buy Adelphia is to provide a possible outlet for the HD channels that Rainbow developed for Voom. This purchase could allow those channels to continue as other outlets (other cable companies and satellite companies) for them are developed.

You mean Comcast.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#26 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:54 PM

Oops, you are correct. Cablevision tried, but lost. Comcast and TW teamed together and won. So much for the theory I stated above.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#27 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:02 PM

Correct. Comcast and TimeWarner Cable have been working on a agreement to get Adelphia's assests. The will give Comcast about 5 million subs instead of getting cash from TW that is owed them, and thus allowing the avoidance of a lot of taxes. Cablevision came in at the last minute, but they were pretty much ignored. It's kinda funny considering that they've been loosing money on Voom, but can afford to bid for another cable company.

As for the price, this is the reality of the US consumer. He'll pay $3000 for an HD TV, but will balk at paying $30/month to actually enjoy it.
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

#28 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:49 PM

the HDTV viewers of America failed. They failed to recognize the heights to which HDTV can aspire; they failed to support a truly superior HD product; they failed to seize the opportunity to improve their lives with quality HD television, but worst of all, they failed to vote for the future of better HD programming.

Blah, blah, blah. Sorry, but the "viewers of America" want their Primetime shows in HD. Period. They want the networks in HD. Heck, _I_ want the networks in HD.

The problem with VOOM -- and any satellite-based HD at the current time, in my opinion -- is the lack of network channels in HD due to regulations that feel illogical and outdated.

The "viewers of america" are unlikely to subscribe to HD services that can't give them their primary primetime shows in HD. They watch them in SD now -- see the "Available in HD!" logos -- and they WANT THAT. They aren't watching some old Godzilla flick in SD and going "I wish I could subscribe to a channel where all of these old Monster movies were shown in HD."

That's VOOM, unfortunately.

So, what "failed" is the government. They are pushing regulations to move to digital TV and encouraging HD in the future -- but they aren't allowing us to watch the most popular stuff now, so it isn't going over well (on satellite, at least).

I see that as the "failure" -- THAT is the problem -- not Voom and not "the views of america." Voom couldn't offer what they viewers of america want -- because of legal reasons. That doomed it, in my opinion.

- John...

#29 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:54 PM

Just wanted to document my most recent VOOM email. I called earlier today and scheduled and install for an amplifier (they originally brought the Sensar and it picked up one OTA channel -- but only at night. During the day, it would fluctuate constantly from 80 to 20 and never lock -- so they upgraded me to an 8-bay, but wanted to try it without the amplifier first -- same thing (or even worse) as the Sensar -- so we just scheduled the amplifier addition). About an hour (or less) after I scheduled it, VOOM changed their main page to announce that they were not taking new customers and not doing any new installs or other such scheduled things -- and added that those already scheduled would get an email soon.

Well, I got that email, and thought that I'd share it here for those interested:

"We're sorry to inform you that VOOM will discontinue providing service as of April 30, 2005. As a result, we have cancelled your scheduled service visit. You will not be billed for service beyond the date we received your service request. If you have any questions you may call 1-800-GET-VOOM. Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

Thank you,
VOOM"

From that, I'm guessing that they will not charge me for service starting today -- which is fairly interesting. I assume that for everyone else, they are charging through the 30th.

Just wanted to pass it along.

- John...

#30 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:12 PM

The problem with the Digital Locals(not HD - no such thing) is that the National Association of Broadcasters(the NAB) are more interested in protecting their fiefdom's ability to generate revenue through commercials than they are in helping to get the digital channels to people so they can watch it in "HD where available". When you go back to the "In Stereo where available", it was a good many years before a majority of TVs were stereo, and I'll bet that most 20" and smaller sets are still mono. And that was 20 some years ago. While the transition to the Digital Locals will be a nice change for many people, many people won't even be able to get the digital channels with their current equipment and will be unwilling to pay $50-100 for an ATSC tuner to plug into their $89 Wally world TV. If the FCC and the NAB was serious about the ATSC conversion, all TVs manufactered over the past few years would have the ATSC tuner, regardless of what size. It it has been implemented years ago, it would be more widespread now. Even now, when you buy an HD TV, it may not have the ATSC tuner in it.

Further, with the Digital Locals on Sat, the HD programs require much more bandwidth than the digital programs, and there is only so much space available on the sats. E* has a very profitable item in their International channels, and it's probably more profitable than their HD Pack. People just aren't will to pay the extra $10 a month to use their TV as it was meant to be used. At least once a week I install an SD receiver on a HD TV because the sub is too cheap to pay the extra $$. It's the Wal-Mart mentality.
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

#31 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:26 AM

As for the price, this is the reality of the US consumer. He'll pay $3000 for an HD TV, but will balk at paying $30/month to actually enjoy it.

I don't actually see what's wrong with that line of thinking... If you pay $3000 for something, then someone tells you that you can't really use it unless you pay another $30+ a month for the rest of your life... well, the argument could be "Hey, I paid $3000, it better do something besides sit there!"

$3000 is a lot of money out of pocket... some folks pay it off over the course of 1-2 years too...

From my perspective, I'm paying $80 roughly now on Satellite... if I had to pay another $30 for HD... that would be pushing my limits financially. The way Voom was right now, I'd have had to pay $50 a month and if I kept my Dish for everything else, I'd still be paying another $70 to them if I dropped the Dish HD pack... that's a lot of monthly moolah.

#32 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,354 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:46 AM

Duh! Spend $3k on an HDTV to only watch analog cable and SD on sat? :nono2:

Too cheap or too broke to get HD programming? Don't spend your money on an HDTV! Go buy groceries instead, and get a lottery ticket while you're at it.:rolleyes:

Stupid is as stupid does. I have no sympathy. :shrug:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#33 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:19 AM

People are also mis-informed by the sales people, some of whom are completely clueless as to what they are selling. People think that with an HD TV, ALL their programming will automatically be in HD. It's just like the misconception that ATSC is HD locals, when in fact it is digital/multicast, and in HD when and where available. HD is more expensive than SD, all the way around. I have customers who have gone to great lengths to try to not pay for the HD programming. It's definately idiotic in my opinion as well.

#34 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:17 AM

Too cheap or too broke to get HD programming? Don't spend your money on an HDTV! Go buy groceries instead, and get a lottery ticket while you're at it.:rolleyes:

Although, that still ignores my point about availability. I'd pay significant amounts of cash to get the networks in HD. It just isn't available.

It isn't that I'm not willing to pay $30/month for HD. It is that I'm not willing to pay $30/month for HD that doesn't include the channels that I primarily watch: the networks in primetime.

It doesn't mean I'm stupid nor cheap. It just means that I'm not going to pay for HD that doesn't interest me much.

- John...

#35 OFFLINE   HD921

HD921

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:29 AM

I think it should be a happy day... yes Voom is going under but the Rainbow-21 suite will be an exciting add-on to current services. I would have to say that whoever gets the channels first would get my vote for my provider for the next couple years. I have been hungering for many of the Voom channels for a while but with my busy schedule I MUST have a dvr. With the add-on it will be a great addition to Cablevision's portfolio, as well as a chance for HD to grow considerably in the masses.

Man I bet your system rocks :icon_bb: :icon_bb:

#36 OFFLINE   costanza

costanza

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:13 PM

Duh! Spend $3k on an HDTV to only watch analog cable and SD on sat? :nono2:

I spent $3K on an HDTV and I don't receive HD!
I bought my Sony KP-53HS10 (Sony's first non-XBR bigscreen HDTV) when it first came out about 6 years ago. Since then I have had a couple of HD receivers, but I only kept them for a very short period because of lack of programming. What I mean is that my locals only went HD about a year ago or so ago. And out of everything they broadcast all day long the only thing you're gonna see in HD is only SOME of the primetime stuff! Sure, most of the sports are HD, but I only like football. And lots of the HD they show doesn't look that great. I was watching a golf tournament ONLY because I wanted to show off the HD picture to a friend and golf was the ONLY thing being broadcast in HD at that particular time (no big surpise there!). Only some of the angles looked like good HD. Others looked like crap. I then did some research and read where only half of the cameras CBS was using were HD capable! What a hack job! Also the ABC affiliate here has a bad audio lag problem on their HD feed that isn't there on the analog feed. I guess they figure you can either have a decent analog picture w/ sound in sync, or a pretty HD picture w/ screwed up sound!!! On top of that, the HD picture from my local Fox channel is MUCH brighter than the analog version and the other HD channels! I don't subscribe to the HD pack through my satelite provider because $10 is too much for the crap those 4 or 5 channels show over and over and over and..., well you get the idea.
BUT, you see, I didn't buy my HD-ready bigscreen TV six years ago just for some future HD broadcasts! I bought it because it's picture, when displaying 480p video from DVD and line-doubled 480i video from my OTA antenna and my satellite receiver, simply KILLED the picture from a non-HD ready bigsreen TV! If my TV died today, I feel like I got my $3K worth out of it for the years of vastly improved 480i & 480p images it gave me over a non-HD ready bigscreen!

#37 OFFLINE   kingcoin

kingcoin

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 02:39 PM

When Voom first began I bought 3 of their receivers. Can these be used or modified to be used on Dish or Direct TV?

#38 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 02:40 PM

No, sorry.

- John...

#39 OFFLINE   kingcoin

kingcoin

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 02:57 PM

No, sorry.

- John...

Wonderful!
Why isn't someone buying their customer base I wonder?
Then at least they might support the existing equipment?

#40 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:08 PM

Probably because exactly that -- it isn't worth buying the customer base for the limited number of people that VOOM has if you have to support them at all.

I could see MAYBE someone buying it (D* or E*) to try to make VOOM people an offer to go to their services -- but neither really offers enough HD to even compare.

- John...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...