Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Voom is dead on April 30th?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:21 PM

With differences in encoding and compression, etc. etc. etc. Neither of the other DBS providers would be able to support the hardware in the Voom boxes anyways. Those were built by Motorola specifically for the Voom system and its software. Your best bet is to eat the loss and sign up for one of the good promo's that either DBS company has going right now or look into what your local cable company has to offer. Being a switcher, the cable company will more than likely make you a great deal on credits etc, if you offer up your equipment and/or dish.
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Art7220

Art7220

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:42 PM

Motorola also builds boxes for the Star Choice system. I think the firmware can be modified for it. SC should be able to buy these up.

-A-

#43 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,468 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:30 PM

Wonderful!
Why isn't someone buying their customer base I wonder?
Then at least they might support the existing equipment?

The high cost of keeping all of the upload equipment, Satellite transmitter space and all of the other associated cost, would have to be continued by the company buying the customer base or else the equipment would be useless. Voom equipment is set up to receive the signals transmitted from the VOOM head end equipment being sent up to the satellite. That is a cost that we know is a loosing investment.

I know when I switched from C-Band satellite, to my pizza pan system, I looked at all of the different systems and felt that VOOM was better for the high definition programing but their sports was really lacking and that their basic programing didn't off any where as much programing as DirecTv or Dish did. Plus no NFL package on Dish made up my mind in a hurry, to go with DirecTv. I am sure a lot of others felt the same way when looking at the original VOOM package, that was offered over a year ago. Yes, it did improve a little as time went on, but I think their big mistake was puting it on the market originally with to little programing.

I hope when DirecTV launches their new satellite with 1500 HD channels, some will be new HD programing and not just locals in HD, that you can already get OTA. :confused:

#44 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:15 PM

That's 4 satellites for up to 1500 Locals channels and a possible 150 NationalHD channels. No word yet on whether they even have any national HDs ready to go.
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

#45 OFFLINE   BasicBlak

BasicBlak

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:08 AM

Duh! Spend $3k on an HDTV to only watch analog cable and SD on sat? :nono2:

Too cheap or too broke to get HD programming? Don't spend your money on an HDTV! Go buy groceries instead, and get a lottery ticket while you're at it.:rolleyes:

Stupid is as stupid does. I have no sympathy. :shrug:

Ouch! A little harsh, don't you think? :lol: But I totally agree with you. Personally, I factored in all monthly satellite costs (including the E* HD Pak) prior to making the initial HDTV investment. After all, HDTVs are hardly the only consumer product out there that requires additional capital outlay on a regular basis (try buying car, for instance, and never gassing it up, let alone getting it tuned regularly, and see how far you get).

Granted, due to the dearth of any real HD programming out there even from the networks, the vast majority of HDTV owners buy their sets to enjoy anamorphic DVDs displayed at 480p, a definite and distinct improvement over letterboxed DVDs played back on SD sets, to be sure. However, I made it a point to hold off on buying my set until I was certain I could confortably afford the additional cost of my provider's HD package, skimpy and miniscule as it is. Why? Because it would simply kill me to know that I was not getting the most that my set had to offer, whether I paid $3000 for it or merely $300! Sure, the fact that we even have to pay ANYTHING more for satellite HD absolutely SUCKS! But it is what it is, and it's presently out of our control if we want to get the most out of our hobby--and our investment.

Of course, we could simply choose not to pay up--as many have opted to do--but what would be the fun in that? This is leisure time activity--we aren't really doing anything constructive like trying to cure cancer. If folks want to play, then they've got to pay. Otherwise, why bother? So, to those who have SD receivers on HD sets, do yourself a favor and upgrade as soon as you feasibly can. Take it from me, you'll find yourselves smiling a lot more. :D
BasicBlak
E* since 5/04 - 211 via HDMI; 522 (dual mode) via S-Video
Sony BRAVIA KDS-60A3000 60" SXRD HDTV (1080p native, 24Hz-compatible)
Winegard Platinum HD8200P UHF antenna
Toshiba HD-A35 1080/24p HD DVD player (v4.0) via HDMI
Sony PS3 40GB Gaming/Blu-ray Disc system (v2.53) via HDMI
Onkyo TX-SR805 THX Ultra2 7.1 receiver (v1.08 w/DSP update)
Carver Cinema "7.1" speaker system
Boston 595x subwoofers

#46 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:49 AM

Ouch! A little harsh, don't you think? :lol: But I totally agree with you... :D

Well, we don't do PC down here. Except for the politicians, we pretty much tell it like it is.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#47 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:14 AM

The Newsday article which talked about the bogus consumer group Charles Dolan created to try and sway the FCC to stop the Rainbow 1 sale mentioned an interesting stat......

E* takes 10 DAYS to generate 40,000 new subscribers. V* took 18 months to get to that point.

They don't NEED to do anything to get those subscribers. (I'm guessing half of them already subscribe to either D* or E* already in addition to V*)
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#48 OFFLINE   BasicBlak

BasicBlak

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 01:38 PM

Well, we don't do PC down here. Except for the politicians, we pretty much tell it like it is.

Well, I love it, Nick! :hurah: :lol: :D
BasicBlak
E* since 5/04 - 211 via HDMI; 522 (dual mode) via S-Video
Sony BRAVIA KDS-60A3000 60" SXRD HDTV (1080p native, 24Hz-compatible)
Winegard Platinum HD8200P UHF antenna
Toshiba HD-A35 1080/24p HD DVD player (v4.0) via HDMI
Sony PS3 40GB Gaming/Blu-ray Disc system (v2.53) via HDMI
Onkyo TX-SR805 THX Ultra2 7.1 receiver (v1.08 w/DSP update)
Carver Cinema "7.1" speaker system
Boston 595x subwoofers

#49 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:19 PM

The Newsday article which talked about the bogus consumer group Charles Dolan created to try and sway the FCC to stop the Rainbow 1 sale mentioned an interesting stat......

E* takes 10 DAYS to generate 40,000 new subscribers. V* took 18 months to get to that point.

They don't NEED to do anything to get those subscribers. (I'm guessing half of them already subscribe to either D* or E* already in addition to V*)

I'd bet a southern-fried Twinkie you are spot on, Bob. I never looked at VOOM as a SA service and I never watched their SD channels. For me, it was all about the unique HD programming.

I already have two dishes looking at 61.5 so I'm ready for the conversion! :grin:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#50 OFFLINE   ypsiguy

ypsiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:35 PM

Hopefully, E* will add Cinemax, TMC, and Starz HD. I would also like to see Universal HD.

For existing E* subs, they are offering a $50 one time payment and $5 a month lease on the 811. I took the deal cuz I do not want a useless box after the MPEG-4 switchover.

It is too bad on VOOM, I hate to see the loss of competition, but they were really out on a limb with the shareholders over the losses being incurred. :(

#51 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:41 PM

Hopefully, E* will add Cinemax, TMC, Encore and Starz HD. I would also like to see Universal and Bravo HD.

Encore HD is no longer broadcast. Universal HD and Bravo HD are the same channel.
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

Protected By... spam firewall...And...