Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

To VOOM - Eulogy et Vita

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:40 AM

To VOOM - A Eulogy in Life

I'm writing this with one eye, and watching the Equator HD channel right now with the other. The beauty of Japan's Shirakami Mountains and the white beech tree forest. The incredible, complex minutiae of nature, all in stunningly beautiful HD. It's an experience every fan of quality TV should see at least once before VOOM leaves us, perhaps forever. For those who don't have VOOM, the Equator channel is like Discovery HD, only better. Much better than any HD nature programming on E* or D*, or on cable.

The loss of VOOM is the technological equivalent of the extinction of a unique species in nature. A loss barely noticable perhaps by most, but a loss nonetheless profound in the long view. VOOM set a standard of unique HD programming so high, I'm afraid it will never be matched. Certainly not by any existing commercial programming providers.

I will probably never visit the Shirakami Mountains of Japan, but I feel like I've already been there, thanks to the advent of high definition television, and to VOOM. There is so much of this fascinating world we will never experience in person. With the passing of VOOM's unique, quality programming, we likely will never again have the chance to see the world through the lens of the HD camera.

The inevitable loss of VOOM isn't a reflection of the technology, or the programming, or even the timing of the service. The failure of VOOM is a sad testament to the low standards and shallow viewing habits of a preponderance of American television viewers.

The truth is, in a society that serves up junk food, junk products and junk television, VOOM was too good. Sadly, former FCC Commissioner Newton Minow's graphic 1961 "vast wasteland" characterization of the state of commercial television still prevails in the 21st century.

Farewell to VOOM, and to all those who earnestly tried to bring us better television, and yes, even a higher standard. Your efforts have not gone unnoticed, nor have they been unappreciated. Thanks for a job well done. You were the best and you will be sorely missed.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:50 AM

...There is so much of this fascinating world we will never experience in person. With the passing of VOOM's unique, quality programming, we likely will never again have the chance to see the world through the lens of the HD camera....

Just wondering, but have you ever watched PBS-HD? Discovery-HD? HD-NET?

VOOM is/was nice, but HD TV didn't crawl into a cave and die. Maybe we'll all benefit by CVC marketing their exclusives to the other providers, sort of like HD-NET, but maybe on an a-la carte basis.

#3 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:30 AM

Just wondering, but have you ever watched PBS-HD? Discovery-HD? HD-NET?

VOOM is/was nice, but HD TV didn't crawl into a cave and die. Maybe we'll all benefit by CVC marketing their exclusives to the other providers, sort of like HD-NET, but maybe on an a-la carte basis.

Discover HD is good, no doubt, but when "The Secrets of Ancient China" is immediately followed by "A Makeover Story", I doubt the Discovery Channel's commitment to quality HD programming. Regarding HDNet, if I ever come face-to-face with Roy Firestone again, I'm calling the police. Disc-HD and HDNet HD programmers are trying to be all things to all people and the result is a hodge-podge of programming that defies description. :confused:

"When you try to please everyone, you wind up pleasing no one."

Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for Disc-HD and HDNet. If they have to insert some junk programming to be commercially viable, so be it, but if I see one more "chopper" or one more "bride" being assembled in stunning HD, I'm switching back to the Dish HD demo channel. :D

In a way, VOOM's quality HD programming is like the advent of a saviour. Two thousand years later and most people still don't accept it, and I'm afraid the second coming won't be any better. :shrug:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:43 AM

...In a way, VOOM's quality HD programming is like the advent of a saviour. Two thousand years later and most people still don't accept it, and I'm afraid the second coming won't be any better. :shrug:

Jeez Nick. I sympathize, but don't compare V* to Jesus Christ

#5 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:46 AM

Read again. I said nothing about Jesus Christ. :shrug:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,254 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:34 AM

VOOM's quality HD programming is like the advent of a saviour
JC is the most common saviour.

BTW: I accept your eulogy as written. I'm not one who would stand up at a funeral and say "that's nice what you said about Bob, but you are wrong on these three points and are totally off base on a fourth". Funerals are a time to nod and smile - not fight. The fighting comes when the will is read. :)

The History of Voom
Posted Image
Oct 2003-April 30, 2005

JL

#7 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:13 AM

VOOM's quality HD programming is like the advent of a saviour
JC is the most common saviour.

Au contraire, Jesus, the Nazarene, was a most uncommon Saviour, but you, too, assumed a meaning I did not intend.

BTW: I accept your eulogy as written. I'm not one who would stand up at a funeral and say "that's nice what you said about Bob, but you are wrong on these three points and are totally off base on a fourth". Funerals are a time to nod and smile - not fight. The fighting comes when the will is read. :)

Thank you. Unfortunately, your simile falls short, as there is no will to be read, and little inheritance to be seized upon by the heirs. The dogs of media will fight over scraps.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,254 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:01 PM

Thank you. Unfortunately, your simile falls short, as there is no will to be read, and little inheritance to be seized upon by the heirs. The dogs of media will fight over scraps.

Media as in those providing content to the public or media as those writing about stuff?

The Voom21 channels are something to fight over - whether they will be resold as is and at what price vs some repackaging needed to please E* or D*.

JL

#9 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:06 PM

Sorry Nick. I was only aware of the ONE savior from 2000 years ago.

#10 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:10 PM

The 21 unique VOOM HD channels will be hidden behind a door that E* is technically unable to open.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#11 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:46 PM

I think it is highly ridiculous that you are eulogizing a satellite service... I mean really now... You might be a little overly addicted to your television if you eulogize your satellite provider when they go under. I agree it is too bad that Voom didn't survive. I really wanted to see them survive and put out their dvr because that would have meant an instant switch to Voom for me. Having a depressive episode over your DBS provider though... thats just rather sad in itself.
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

#12 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:05 PM

....It's an experience every fan of quality TV should see at least once before VOOM leaves us............

READ: Party at Nicks' house sometime before April 30th!

:icon_bb: :icon_hroc :backtotop

Sorry! Those are the only nodding, smiling Smilies we got!

I know Voom has been very special to your life, Nick, and I'm very sorry for your (our) loss. :crying_sa
Laverne

#13 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:40 PM

A VOOM farewell party! Of course! Why didn't I think of that??? :joy:

:icon_band :balloons: :hb: :smaileinh :blowout: !Devil_lol :icon_peac

We did it for "M*A*S*H" , we did if for "Cheers", and we did it for "Frazier!" :icon_da:

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to say goodbye to an entire network/provider.

Any VOOM volunteers? If not, I'll squeeze all 47,000 of you dedicated, diehard VOOMERS into my 2br apartment for the best party of the 21st century!

BYOB :D

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#14 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:50 PM

Darn! :rolleyes: I was gonna catch you where you left the "D" off of "dedicated"! ;)

Love the new user title and avatar! :lol:
Laverne

#15 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 02:03 PM

I think it is highly ridiculous that you are eulogizing a satellite service... I mean really now... You might be a little overly addicted to your television if you eulogize your satellite provider when they go under. I agree it is too bad that Voom didn't survive. I really wanted to see them survive and put out their dvr because that would have meant an instant switch to Voom for me. Having a depressive episode over your DBS provider though... thats just rather sad in itself.

I can be highly ridiculous if I want, :D but you miss the point entirely. It isn't VOOM I'm eulogizing, it's the loss of THE FUTURE OF UNIQUE AND QUALITY HD that I mourn.

You must be blind if you can't see the implications for the future of HD! All those HDTVs out there and nothing to watch except the three R's of low-class tv - Rassling, Racing and Raunchy Jerry Springer! :shrug: :rolleyes: Without the support of the intelligent and the concerned, even HDTV will be reduced to the lowest common denominator.

Now, I must go and watch The Masters, Day 2, on Universal High Definition, which is to found only on VOOM! There is no more beautiful sight than (not then) Augusta National in April in awesome HD.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#16 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 02:26 PM

...You must be blind if you can't see the implications for the future of HD! All those HDTVs out there and nothing to watch except the three R's of low-class tv - Rassling, Racing and Raunchy Jerry Springer! :shrug: :rolleyes: Without the support of the intelligent and the concerned, even HDTV will be reduced to the lowest common denominator.

Now, I must go and watch The Masters, Day 2, on Universal High Definition, which is to found only on VOOM! There is no more beautiful sight than (not then) Augusta National in April in awesome HD.

OK, this is why VOOM didn't survive. It's because they programmed for some self-proclaimed ELITE class of television viewer that would rather watch daisies grow on the Matterhorn in hi def, than watch college football in SD on their local RSN. Where do you think the numbers are? It's not like VOOM couldn't have offered both, but they chose not to.

If you want to survive in a high dollar business, you need to offer something that appeals to massive numbers of consumers. VOOM may have learned that lesson in the last 2 months. Waaaay too late. Somebody should have analyzed their marketing plan 2 years ago and slapped them upside the head.

#17 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:43 PM

...ELITE class of television viewer that would rather watch daisies grow on the Matterhorn in hi def, than watch college football in SD on their local RSN...

YES! YES! They get me. Somebody out there really, really :cheers2: :jumpingja :joy: gets me! :D

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#18 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:48 PM

I can be highly ridiculous if I want, :D but you miss the point entirely. It isn't VOOM I'm eulogizing, it's the loss of THE FUTURE OF UNIQUE AND QUALITY HD that I mourn.

Did you miss the part where Cablevision said that the 21 exclusives would most likely be marketed as part of the Rainbow programming???

You must be blind if you can't see the implications for the future of HD! All those HDTVs out there and nothing to watch except the three R's of low-class tv - Rassling, Racing and Raunchy Jerry Springer! :shrug: :rolleyes: Without the support of the intelligent and the concerned, even HDTV will be reduced to the lowest common denominator.

Actually I have INHD 1 and INHD 2, NBC HD, CBS HD, PBS HD, and Discovery HD, as well as four movie channels of HD currently and there is plenty of quality programs. INHD often shows great IMAX reruns and educationals programs as well as concerts and arts entertainment.

Actually Universal HD is on many cable systems and on D*.

FYI: I AM blind.
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

#19 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for the update.

...FYI: I AM blind.