Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

To VOOM - Eulogy et Vita

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,431 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:15 PM

Because I live alone, I am master of my domain (so to speak) and have almost no problems switching between five sources. If I had to explain it to others, it might get complexicated. ;)

~ 13 Years on DBSTalk ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Cpt Matt

Cpt Matt

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 02:51 PM

I can be highly ridiculous if I want, :D but you miss the point entirely. It isn't VOOM I'm eulogizing, it's the loss of THE FUTURE OF UNIQUE AND QUALITY HD that I mourn.

You must be blind if you can't see the implications for the future of HD! All those HDTVs out there and nothing to watch except the three R's of low-class tv - Rassling, Racing and Raunchy Jerry Springer! :shrug: :rolleyes: Without the support of the intelligent and the concerned, even HDTV will be reduced to the lowest common denominator.

Now, I must go and watch The Masters, Day 2, on Universal High Definition, which is to found only on VOOM! There is no more beautiful sight than (not then) Augusta National in April in awesome HD.

I agree with nick eulogizing the concept of V* HD. I was a very early adopter of Voom and have been quite happy with them. Essentially Voom pioneered true HD programming: taking full advantage of the platform of a true digital signal to allow many smaller groups to enjoy niche programming. Rave, Monsters, and MOOV were among my favorites.
Mr. Chuck Dolan took a radical step and launched an advanced concept in hopes that the general public would adopt it. So far it's not going so well, 14.9 m in total revenue. However, it appears he is still fighting, exhibiting a true pioneer spirit that I thought had dissapeared years ago. Hughes built the spruce Goose, Tucker built the torpedo and they are both remembered as, albeit eccentric, passionate pioneers. Perhaps one day everyone else will recognize this event as a loss of a vision.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...