Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ultimate insult to the 921

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sundance

Sundance

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 12:48 PM

This has got to be the ultimate insult to what a POS the 921 is. I just did a search on EBay and there is not one 921 for sale. It appears there is no market for this crap at any price.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:14 PM

Or perhaps nobody wants to sell theirs.......
I'm back! Needed more than 1 HD feed.

#3 OFFLINE   Sundance

Sundance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:21 PM

I'm sure there are people that don't want to, but I would be willing to bet there are many 921 owners that wouldn't part with their's in a sec. if they could get a decent buck for it.

#4 OFFLINE   jgra

jgra

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:23 PM

I will be getting rid of my 921 by giving it to Comcast for some service credits they have this dish buy back offer and they will give me the highest rate plan for $40 cheaper. 921 is a crap anyone that believe's otherwise are brainwashed.

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 03:01 PM

Why'd you post this in the 942 forum? Moving, and you're lucky I didn't delete it outright.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#6 OFFLINE   kspeters

kspeters

Mentor/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 03:13 PM

I don't know how you searched but there are plenty of 921s for sale,,,,including mine. I have not experienced all the problems many have had here, I just wanted NBR recoding.

#7 OFFLINE   Sundance

Sundance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 04:22 PM

Don't know either, I searched two or three way, seemed a little strange to me when I did it that there were 0 results.

Also, wrong place or not I have to agree with jgra, it's a POS and every one that purchased one has been lied to and stolen from by Dish.

#8 OFFLINE   Bob Haller

Bob Haller

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:58 PM

currently which is worse the now buggy 721 or the always buggy 921?

#9 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 06:13 PM

1. My 721 is working great and has been for a long time now.

2. People that make judgments based on their search not working on EBay -- and then continuing that same judgment even after they are shown that they were wrong about said search -- are quite humorous to me. heh.

- John...

#10 OFFLINE   jgra

jgra

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 06:37 PM

1. My 721 is working great and has been for a long time now.

2. People that make judgments based on their search not working on EBay -- and then continuing that same judgment even after they are shown that they were wrong about said search -- are quite humorous to me. heh.

- John...

What are you talking about?

#11 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 06:41 PM

What are you talking about?

Try reading the thread. I'm talking about the fact that this entire thread was based on him not finding any 921s on EBay -- even though there has been plenty of them on there for a long time now -- and still are.

In other words, he either searched incorrectly -- or EBay was malfunctioning. In either case, he based it on that, someone then informed him that he was incorrect about the search, and he changed his reasoning so that he could still have the same negative judgment even without his original point. I think that is funny when people do that instead of just going "oh, oops!"

People rarely admit when they were incorrect. No biggie.

- John...

#12 OFFLINE   Sundance

Sundance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:19 PM

In either case, he based it on that, someone then informed him that he was incorrect about the search, and he changed his reasoning so that he could still have the same negative judgment even without his original point.
- John...

Nothing was based on the search. I own a 921, it's a POS, that has nothing to do with my faulty search. It turns out I must have done something wrong cause there are many there but the bottom line is I did not change my mind or what ever you are trying to say because my search turned out to be wrong. :nono:

One does not need to make up reasons the 921 is garbage, all they need to do is use it very much or have owned a DVR/PVR Mfg. by someone else that actually does what it is advertised to do.

#13 OFFLINE   Sundance

Sundance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:25 PM

jgoggan, your 921 works great, you must have the only one ever made that does cause there are a few hundred if not a few thousand posts here that say the 921 doesn't work right. If you have had no problems or bugs with yours you should head for Reno or Vegas.

#14 OFFLINE   jgra

jgra

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:35 PM

I agree the 921 is hunk of junk. For heaven sakes a year or so ago this POS was worth $1000 (actually is not the appropriate word, because it was definitely not worth it). Anyway now it costs over $600 and it still to high of a price. Certain people say they think certain people are humurous after they get new information and they still stick to their original judgement. Well I don't like people that have not tried other thinks before they pass a judgement. For example some people need to try other services which I have and I can say honestly that the 921 is POS. I am going to Comcast and dont have to buy anything. If Charlie in the next chat says that he will start giving away 942 or 921 I would not go back. Good Luck

#15 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:35 PM

Also, wrong place or not I have to agree with jgra, it's a POS and every one that purchased one has been lied to and stolen from by Dish.

Sounds like you need to get with bushcasa over in the generall forum. He seems ready to sue E* over the 921. As for saying that that "everyone that purchased one has been lied to and stolen from by Dish", I would say that there are a good size number of people who would not agree with you, so be careful making a blanket statement such as this. If it's such a POS, then get rid of it and find something that works. There are a lot of HD TV owners that whine that there isn't nearly enough HD for their TV, but those 90-95% of us subs with good old SD sets are just peachy with what we are watching.
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

#16 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:42 PM

Larry: With all due respect, I HAVE been lied to by the tunaboy several times over the 921. Firewire, HD nets, NBR, and Dish Home immediately come to mind. :mad:
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#17 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 11:03 PM

Boy there are a number of threads discussing this same topic just in various forms. My guess is this one just used EBay as an excuse to rant about what a POS it is. I have a 921, and personally I do feel that Dish should do the right thing and swap the current 921 users that are having issues with a 942. For me the 921 has been fragile and I don't have the confidence I had with my 510 and 721 at correctly recording a program. As to it being a POS, I personally would not place it into that catagory, but it also has still to reach a level of stability that is expected by the average consumer.

As to the blanket statements, well just do a search and you will find some happy people, some people on the fence, and some people ready to jump. So making statements that everyone feels the 921 is a POS is just not correct. A search on here will prove to anyone wanting to make that assertion that it is just noe correct.

As to being lied to, I think the biggest promise broken on the 921 was firewire and this happend before I purchased mine. As to NBR, well I don't think that was never really promised for the 921, you do however have valid points Simon.

I see this same thread about once every couple of weeks. I hope that Dish does the right thing in this case and right what I would consider a wrong. Then again Dish my wait to MPEG4 and do it then. Sadly they will lose some customers for sure if they wait, but in the scope of things we are very small percentage of the Dish customer base. Question is, How much does Dish value word of mouth opinions?
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#18 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 01:27 AM

Then again Dish may wait to MPEG4 and do it then.

And in fact, that's the smart thing to do, and what I'm waiting for. If tunaboy shafts me on that, I'm gone to D* (no other option), and will also take as many of his customers as I can. Considering my position, that could be hundreds. :mad:

#19 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 05:07 AM

The firewire problem has more to do with the DMCA and the lawyers than actually using the thing. Since I don't have a 921, I can't say whether it not it can actually be activated by messing with the system. However, since it is Linux based, I would be willing to bet there is a way to make it work. And, it's like the internet access that the 721 was supposed to have. Advertised, but never implemented. As for dish home, whop-te-do. Most subs never use that worthless peice of crap. I like the 721s weather feature, when it actually works(which depends on the s/w updates). Much faster and nicer than the other one. HD Networks are irrelevant to the issue of the 921 being a POS, and NBR may end up on it eventually. With 3 different code bases, it's no wonder the 522/942 so far are the only ones with it since there are the new standard.
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

#20 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 09:05 AM

Boy there are a number of threads discussing this same topic just in various forms. My guess is this one just used EBay as an excuse to rant about what a POS it is. I have a 921, and personally I do feel that Dish should do the right thing and swap the current 921 users that are having issues with a 942. For me the 921 has been fragile and I don't have the confidence I had with my 510 and 721 at correctly recording a program. As to it being a POS, I personally would not place it into that catagory, but it also has still to reach a level of stability that is expected by the average consumer.

As to the blanket statements, well just doing a search and would find some happy people, some people on the fence, and some people ready to jump. So making statements that everyone feels the 921 is a POS is just not correct. I search will prove it to anyone wanting to make that assertion.

As to being lied to, I think the biggest promise broken on the 921 was firewire and this happend before I purchased mine. As to NBR, well I don't think that was ever really promised for the 921, you do however have valid points Simon.

I see this same thread about once every couple of weeks. I hope that Dish does the right thing in this case and right what I would consider a wrong. Then again Dish my wait to MPEG4 and do it then. Sadly they will lose some customers for sure if they wait, but in the scope of things we are very small percentage of the Dish customer base. Question is, How much does Dish value word of mouth opinions?

Ron, your statement and the fact that your a moderator, all I can say is WOW!

John

Protected By... spam firewall...And...