Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ultimate insult to the 921

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Sundance

Sundance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:19 PM

jgra,

You might want to check this out:

http://multichannel....s&referral=SUPP

I agree that is one amazing deal but if it means they control in any way what I see on MY TV I personnel would not do it for any price or no matter how great the deal is. I don't know when or if they will roll this out everywhere but I sure don't like the sound of it.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Pils

Pils

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:45 PM

I would sell the 921 on ebay and buy a cheap box at a garage sale for like 10-20 bucks to trade in. It doesn't matter what box you trade in, does it? As long as its a E* box? You can still get some decent money for that 921 even though it is unreliable.

#28 OFFLINE   tm22721

tm22721

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:40 AM

Personally I won't buy any more E* receivers after the 921, until they offer a PC based tuner card by multiple manufacturs.

Dish proprietary electronics are not worth the hassle, buggy, quickly obsoleted features, missing features.

Wtih today's fierce comptetition, why would anybody give an electronics supplier like this a second/thrd/fourth chance ?

#29 OFFLINE   jgra

jgra

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:30 PM

link deleted

#30 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:43 PM

jgra - the link to your 921 auction is inappropriate in the Dish forums and against our Terms of Use. You've got is posted in the B,S,T forum, so I'm deleting it from here.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#31 OFFLINE   cyphire

cyphire

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:20 PM

Replace a 921 with a 942??? Are you mad????

The 942 is a WAY bigger POS than the 921.

It's slicker, but the software is far more buggy and poorly designed. I will take my buggy 921 with it's pathetic software any day over my horrible 942 which, based on previous experience, will never get better due to it's horrific programming interface.

Face it, the 942 is for people who want picture quality, aren't worried about hiccupping sound, and don't have any favorite shows they want to record!!!

Perhaps Dish should make a deal where they go to a quality software development firm to rewrite the system, using the same hardware we have all purchased, at huge expense, only to find out that it's worse than a 921!!!

#32 OFFLINE   Sundance

Sundance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:48 PM

I have a POS 921 as well and decided not to go to the 942 as I didn't see many if any advantages and several reason not to. (for me no way to send down converted HD to a CD or other device, wish they would get off their butt's and fix the luminous problem with the down converted out put) Wish someone would start a class action. It is criminal that they are allowed to put products out like this and promote them with the miss-leading information they use to sell them.

#33 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:30 AM

I have a POS 921 as well and decided not to go to the 942 as I didn't see many if any advantages and several reason not to. (for me no way to send down converted HD to a CD or other device, wish they would get off their butt's and fix the luminous problem with the down converted out put) Wish someone would start a class action. It is criminal that they are allowed to put products out like this and promote them with the miss-leading information they use to sell them.

What are you talking about??? The 942 outputs downconverted HD just fine.

#34 OFFLINE   moooog

moooog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:51 AM

I have two 921's, and found them to initially be very buggy, but have been having zero problems with them over the past few weeks. The fixed aspect ratio was the main problem I was having, but lately even that seems to be o.k., and I haven't had to do a reboot for weeks. Is anyone here having similar good fortune, or am I just lucky?

#35 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 03:17 PM

Is anyone here having similar good fortune, or am I just lucky?

You're just lucky. You on L272 yet? For me it took THREE power-cord reboots just to get the 921 running again, then a couple of remote off/on cycles to get it to show video. POS. :mad:
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#36 OFFLINE   Sundance

Sundance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:35 PM

What are you talking about??? The 942 outputs downconverted HD just fine.

I posted here (or maybe another forum) and asked that question, does the 942 output down-converted HD and was informed it does not. I do not own one so I don't know first hand. The impression I got from the answers was the only output the 942 has is the output's for the 2nd TV and they are only SD and not HD. I also asked if the 942 out put HD down-converted to the 2nd TV and was told it did not.

I stand corrected and maybe I need to change my ideas on upgrading to a 942, but I don't think I will, sounds like I'll be trading one poorly designed, poorly implemented DVR for the same thing in a different package.

#37 OFFLINE   Sundance

Sundance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:39 PM

I might be content with the few minor bugs the 921 has if they were not being such A H about not providing the program guide for 921 users and if they would fix the luminous problem for the down converted output of HD. I would REALLY like to see show based recording also.

#38 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:15 PM

At this point we pray for the dream scenario...

Tivo wins the patent infringement court case. Massive judgement imminent. E* panics and buys Tivo outright (or cuts a deal insuring that Tivo branded software gets added to E* receivers).

Hey, it could happen.... that obnoxious TV Guide logo on the program guide is due to them being forced to make nice nice with Gemstar (who owns TV Guide) over the patents they sued E* to enforce.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#39 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:17 PM

I might be content with the few minor bugs the 921 has if they were not being such A H about not providing the program guide for 921 users and if they would fix the luminous problem for the down converted output of HD. I would REALLY like to see show based recording also.

YES! When they replaced my 921 after a hard drive failure, the replacement one makes every SD recording look like the sunny planet that washed out all the color in the Pitch Black movie.

Is this a hardware issue or a software one? I've given up archiving shows to DVD as they are unwatchable.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#40 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:22 PM

.... that obnoxious TV Guide logo on the program guide is due to them being forced to make nice nice with Gemstar (who owns TV Guide) over the patents they sued E* to enforce.

It is a dam eye sore!

#41 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:35 AM

Speaking of the TV Guide logo and such... So, does Gemstar provide the show descriptions? Or who does that? I've noticed that, over the past year, the descriptions have gotten less and less accurate. Recent descriptions for current network shows have been significantly wrong on several occasions -- including shows such as Law & Order, According to Jim, ER, and others. I'm really getting tired of it...

- John...

#42 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:12 PM

Well... I'm on my 5th :eek2: 921. The only time the 921 was stable for me was when I had guide data for the OTA's during 2.15 (and the temporary "free" LIL's during 2.16). Without complete guide data the timers are more likely to screw up.

E* continues to shoot themselves in the foot with the 921. I believe it is possible for this big silver box to work as advertized, however due to business decisions the "dream fix" software is being prevented from deployment.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#43 OFFLINE   stonecold

stonecold

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 583 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 06:56 PM

When the 921 users put up with 6 plus years of bugs and **** then they can complain.

The last 7200 Survivor.

#44 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,265 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:39 AM

Jawa78 - you're not the last...

There is.. Another..

(That would be me) :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...