Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ultimate insult to the 921

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:11 PM

And in fact, that's the smart thing to do, and what I'm waiting for. If tunaboy shafts me on that, I'm gone to D* (no other option), and will also take as many of his customers as I can. Considering my position, that could be hundreds. :mad:

From a business point of view that is the smart thing to do. However, depending on the timing of the transition a double swap might also make sense as a win/win. It all depends on the MPEG-4 timeline and when Dish thinks they will really roll out MPEG-4.

Boyle: I don't think I said anything that deserved a WOW. Maybe it was mis-interperted. I just said everyone does not think the 921 is a POS, but I personal feel they should swap them out. On the record to be clear, I dont thing the 921 is a POS, but its reliability is not at what I consider an acceptable level for my use case. For others it can range depending on their use cases.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:50 PM

Boyle: I don't think I said anything that deserved a WOW. Maybe it was mis-interperted. I just said everyone does not think the 921 is a POS, but I personal feel they should swap them out. On the record to be clear, I dont thing the 921 is a POS, but its reliability is not at what I consider an acceptable level for my use case. For others it can range depending on their use cases.

I didn't mean to mislead, but your statement was pretty honest and straight forward. It was worth a WOW! I would like to see exactly what you said:

I do feel that Dish should do the right thing and swap the current 921 users that are having issues with a 942.

I see this same thread about once every couple of weeks. I hope that Dish does the right thing in this case and right what I would consider a wrong.

#23 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:57 PM

Nothing was based on the search.

Apparently, this THREAD was. :rolleyes:

I own a 921, it's a POS, that has nothing to do with my faulty search. It turns out I must have done something wrong cause there are many there but the bottom line is I did not change my mind or what ever you are trying to say because my search turned out to be wrong. :nono:

I didn't say you changed your mind. I said that I think it is funny when people start a whole thread -- that turns into a big discussion -- when the reason for the thread was completely incorrect. You seemed to have started this thread just to point out that the 921 must be worthless because they aren't even on EBay. Everything grew from that point -- and that point was completely incorrect.

I didn't say you changed your mind about anything really -- I just said that I think it is humorous when something like that happens (huge discussions based off of originally faulty information). Happens all the time, unfortunately.

- John...

#24 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:58 PM

jgoggan, your 921 works great, you must have the only one ever made that does cause there are a few hundred if not a few thousand posts here that say the 921 doesn't work right. If you have had no problems or bugs with yours you should head for Reno or Vegas.

Um, again, please read what I said. I said that my 721 works great. It was in reply to the post above it implying that everyone with a 721 is having problems since a recent update. Not everyone is.

I don't have a 921. I almost bought one, but financial matters changed.

- John...

#25 OFFLINE   jgra

jgra

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 02:30 PM

Actually in my area the dish buy back offer is incredible I will get $40 credit for 12 months. Which will make my monthly service at $69.99 a month for 12 months for way more good channels then dish and directv combined including more hd channels as well as local hd channels included for free. As I mentioned in other posts comcast has a unique set top box which includes the following: dvr, receiver, hd, ota all in one. The service includes all of the popular on demand channels starz, hbo, cinemax, tmc, showtime which each have tons of movies, series, specials etc.... and comcast offers it's own on demand channels which include tons of free content and pay per view including hd ppv on demand. (But I guess all of this depends on the area) I paid about $5-600 for my 921 after the 12 months I will be paying 9.95 for dvr, (which by the way is similar to tivo software, which has many options like season pass etc similar to nbr as well) which if I take the $600 and divide by 9.95 a month will give me 60 years thats 60 years of dvr service which includes all upgrades, updates etc. (But again I guess this all depends in the area you live in). Last time I checked I will have over 40 premium movie channels in my area, compared to dish's 28 or so premium movie channels. The downside as I said before might be the dvr disk capacity but with all the on demand channels I can now use all my hd space for ota local, hd movie and special recordings. Also with on demand starz has announced new technology that will bring better service to on demand customers which include (now here this): movie will premiere on the on demand service at least 2 weeks in advance of premiering on the regular (traditional) starz channel and (now here this) technology that when turned on will include personal movie selections. So versus dish I end up spending after the first 12 months a little over $13 more per month but look at everything else I will be getting. The dvr is a dual tuner and has a swap option which is similar to tivo which allows you to pause on one channel hit the swap button and watch another channel pause, reweind etc and flip between each channel. With the dish buy back offer (depending on the area you live) you can give them whatever receiver you have I don't know what proof other than the receiver you will need but maybe a copy of your satellite bill. The downside in my area is I cannot get upn9hd or wb11hd through comcast cable box. Check out this website for on demand and hdtv info: http://comcast.m0.ne...m/mic/index.asp

There is also a way better chance that wwe 24/7 will be coming to cable first.

Some people might make the argument well the on demand selection are not determined by the individual so thats why a person needs a high capacity dvr, the only way you will find out if the on demand selections does not have what you want or whether the dvr memory is not enough is to try. For me is great due to the fact I do not have to record that many programs for kids now so that will save me space because comcast have many family/kids on demand movies, cartoons etc... I had cablevision, direct, dishnetwork, comcast and I believe overall the best was directv (but I do not have comcast installed yet, so I think this will change and I believe the overall best will be comcast). Directv when i had it with tivo was great channel selection was alright but the service was great, changed channels online with no fees (dish network charges for downgrades directv does not). Wish me luck comcast will be coming over in two days. I dont know whether I should give them my 921 or give them another receiver and sell my 921 over ebay any advice is anyone going through what I am going through? Thanks in advance

#26 OFFLINE   Sundance

Sundance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:19 PM

jgra,

You might want to check this out:

http://multichannel....s&referral=SUPP

I agree that is one amazing deal but if it means they control in any way what I see on MY TV I personnel would not do it for any price or no matter how great the deal is. I don't know when or if they will roll this out everywhere but I sure don't like the sound of it.

#27 OFFLINE   Pils

Pils

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:45 PM

I would sell the 921 on ebay and buy a cheap box at a garage sale for like 10-20 bucks to trade in. It doesn't matter what box you trade in, does it? As long as its a E* box? You can still get some decent money for that 921 even though it is unreliable.

#28 OFFLINE   tm22721

tm22721

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:40 AM

Personally I won't buy any more E* receivers after the 921, until they offer a PC based tuner card by multiple manufacturs.

Dish proprietary electronics are not worth the hassle, buggy, quickly obsoleted features, missing features.

Wtih today's fierce comptetition, why would anybody give an electronics supplier like this a second/thrd/fourth chance ?

#29 OFFLINE   jgra

jgra

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:30 PM

link deleted

#30 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:43 PM

jgra - the link to your 921 auction is inappropriate in the Dish forums and against our Terms of Use. You've got is posted in the B,S,T forum, so I'm deleting it from here.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#31 OFFLINE   cyphire

cyphire

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:20 PM

Replace a 921 with a 942??? Are you mad????

The 942 is a WAY bigger POS than the 921.

It's slicker, but the software is far more buggy and poorly designed. I will take my buggy 921 with it's pathetic software any day over my horrible 942 which, based on previous experience, will never get better due to it's horrific programming interface.

Face it, the 942 is for people who want picture quality, aren't worried about hiccupping sound, and don't have any favorite shows they want to record!!!

Perhaps Dish should make a deal where they go to a quality software development firm to rewrite the system, using the same hardware we have all purchased, at huge expense, only to find out that it's worse than a 921!!!

#32 OFFLINE   Sundance

Sundance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:48 PM

I have a POS 921 as well and decided not to go to the 942 as I didn't see many if any advantages and several reason not to. (for me no way to send down converted HD to a CD or other device, wish they would get off their butt's and fix the luminous problem with the down converted out put) Wish someone would start a class action. It is criminal that they are allowed to put products out like this and promote them with the miss-leading information they use to sell them.

#33 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:30 AM

I have a POS 921 as well and decided not to go to the 942 as I didn't see many if any advantages and several reason not to. (for me no way to send down converted HD to a CD or other device, wish they would get off their butt's and fix the luminous problem with the down converted out put) Wish someone would start a class action. It is criminal that they are allowed to put products out like this and promote them with the miss-leading information they use to sell them.

What are you talking about??? The 942 outputs downconverted HD just fine.

#34 OFFLINE   moooog

moooog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:51 AM

I have two 921's, and found them to initially be very buggy, but have been having zero problems with them over the past few weeks. The fixed aspect ratio was the main problem I was having, but lately even that seems to be o.k., and I haven't had to do a reboot for weeks. Is anyone here having similar good fortune, or am I just lucky?

#35 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 03:17 PM

Is anyone here having similar good fortune, or am I just lucky?

You're just lucky. You on L272 yet? For me it took THREE power-cord reboots just to get the 921 running again, then a couple of remote off/on cycles to get it to show video. POS. :mad:
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#36 OFFLINE   Sundance

Sundance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:35 PM

What are you talking about??? The 942 outputs downconverted HD just fine.

I posted here (or maybe another forum) and asked that question, does the 942 output down-converted HD and was informed it does not. I do not own one so I don't know first hand. The impression I got from the answers was the only output the 942 has is the output's for the 2nd TV and they are only SD and not HD. I also asked if the 942 out put HD down-converted to the 2nd TV and was told it did not.

I stand corrected and maybe I need to change my ideas on upgrading to a 942, but I don't think I will, sounds like I'll be trading one poorly designed, poorly implemented DVR for the same thing in a different package.

#37 OFFLINE   Sundance

Sundance

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:39 PM

I might be content with the few minor bugs the 921 has if they were not being such A H about not providing the program guide for 921 users and if they would fix the luminous problem for the down converted output of HD. I would REALLY like to see show based recording also.

#38 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:15 PM

At this point we pray for the dream scenario...

Tivo wins the patent infringement court case. Massive judgement imminent. E* panics and buys Tivo outright (or cuts a deal insuring that Tivo branded software gets added to E* receivers).

Hey, it could happen.... that obnoxious TV Guide logo on the program guide is due to them being forced to make nice nice with Gemstar (who owns TV Guide) over the patents they sued E* to enforce.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#39 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:17 PM

I might be content with the few minor bugs the 921 has if they were not being such A H about not providing the program guide for 921 users and if they would fix the luminous problem for the down converted output of HD. I would REALLY like to see show based recording also.

YES! When they replaced my 921 after a hard drive failure, the replacement one makes every SD recording look like the sunny planet that washed out all the color in the Pitch Black movie.

Is this a hardware issue or a software one? I've given up archiving shows to DVD as they are unwatchable.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#40 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:22 PM

.... that obnoxious TV Guide logo on the program guide is due to them being forced to make nice nice with Gemstar (who owns TV Guide) over the patents they sued E* to enforce.

It is a dam eye sore!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...