Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

When am I a "new customer" again

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ~frank

~frank

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:27 PM

I had to leave Dish a while back because they were going to take months to get me HDTV. Unfortunately, I went with Voom - great service, but now a dead company. I figured since Dish just bought their satellite, they may have decent HDTV programming soon. When I had left Dish, I was told I had to be gone at least 6 months before I would qualify for any of the "new customer" promos. I figured since the Voom commitment was 6 months, this would work out well. So now that Voom is dead, I called Dish...

I was told that since I had been a Dish customer before, I was not elegible for the "new customer" promos - all they would do is waive the re-installation fee for the equipment I still had (and I had bought - nothing free). I asked about the 6 month period and was told that was incorrect. I asked how long I had to be gone before being considered a new customer again, and I was told that would never happen. Of course, this was because my information was still in "the system" (which is in violation of their own privacy policy and Section 338(i) of the Communications Act of 1934, but we won't get into that here...)

Anyway, does anyone know if there is a period of time after which I can become a new customer again, or is Dish basically saying "get lost"?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:41 PM

to become a new customer agian you have to put the service in another persons name like your spouses name/etc
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#3 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:50 PM

to become a new customer agian you have to put the service in another persons name like your spouses name/etc

And the same with D*. Just out of curiosity, won't their system flag if the address is the same and the last name is the same as the original account owner?
I'm back! Needed more than 1 HD feed.

#4 OFFLINE   terfmop

terfmop

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:59 PM

I had Dish back in '00 until '01; at the time, I had a 1 year agreement. After my contract expired, I had a receiver problem (stopped working). My option at that time according to Dish, was to buy a new receiver. I never paid for it in the first place, so I didn't want to buy a new receiver. I cancelled my Dish account.

This past year (fall of '04) I bought a new TV and wanted to start up service again. The promotion at the time (forget the name of it) allowed me to get 4 rooms installed plus an HD receiver and no contract. The first dealer I went to told me that since I had been a customer, that I wasn't eligible. However, when I called Dish, they said the promotion was good for returning customers as well since I had been gone for 6 months. They came and installed the SuperDish, my 811, and 301. No problems, no contract.

#5 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 05:42 PM

Anyway, does anyone know if there is a period of time after which I can become a new customer again ... ?

Do you believe in reincarnation? :)
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:14 PM

Official DISH policy is you can never be a new customer again. DISH dealers are not allowed to bring you back except at full retail prices. DISH themselves can do whatever they want, the last post I saw from one of their CSRs said with a 2 year contract seeing you had left once. 800-333-3474 and get their answer.

#7 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:21 PM

:welcome_s Frank!

(Please excuse their lack of manners, they're really nice helpful folks. :))
Laverne

#8 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:51 PM

...(Please excuse their lack of manners, they're really nice helpful folks. :))

Are you really sure about that?! :D

#9 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 09:34 PM

Are you really sure about that?! :D

OK, well, MOST of them CAN be helpful, and SOME of them CAN be nice! :P ;) ;)
Laverne

#10 OFFLINE   new04quest

new04quest

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:02 AM

I cancelled my account with Dish before I sold my previous home. I got back with Dish after I moved into my new house a year later. I got in as a new customer again. I got all the benefit as a new customer (free installation for 4 rooms and the package come with the two 322's/Dish Pro 500 system). They never ask me if I am a former Dish customer. I end up replaced the 322 with the 811 and installed a new DPP-44 a week later.

#11 OFFLINE   RobbinMerritt

RobbinMerritt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:45 AM

A friend of mine was able to sign up again as a new customer by going through SBC and their partnership with Dish. I didn't get the impression that this was a mistake on SBC's part -- I think anyone could do this. Of course this only works if SBC is the phone company where you live.
Robbin
HR21-700
Formerly 622,942, 921, 721, Dishplayer, 4000

#12 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:06 AM

A friend of mine was able to sign up again as a new customer by going through SBC and their partnership with Dish. I didn't get the impression that this was a mistake on SBC's part -- I think anyone could do this. Of course this only works if SBC is the phone company where you live.

And you haven't been a DISH customer in the previous 6 months. Because SBC made an investment in DISH Network you are not really going back to DISH Network. You are a SBC customer receiving DISH Network programming if SBC decides to provide programming from another source they can do that.

#13 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:57 AM

Seems to me that after say two years, or some other amount of time, that you should be considered a "new" customer. I understand they don't want people to game the system and get benefits that are intended for "new" customers, but to not let people join as new because they were a previous customer seems silly. If they're worried about people who keep quitting and starting, then just extend the time beofre they're considered "new" each time...say 1st is 2 years, then 4, then 6 etc. So if someone quit twice they couldn't get the "new" customer promos for 4 years...I think that would solve the problem if there really is one. Otherwise, people will just go to cable or D* instead of back to Dish.

#14 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:13 AM

DISH has always had this arcane policy. DirecTV is always more likely to waive the requirement, but in genera, DISH is very strict upon the "new customer" stipulation.
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

#15 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:21 AM

That is interesting. I called up SBC about this and they said "Sorry" because I was an active sub already with E*. SBC said I had to be gone 6 months before they could sign me back up. Once they are pitching that new 2Wire box, I might have to get my wife to sign up with SBC/Dish.

#16 OFFLINE   RobbinMerritt

RobbinMerritt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:31 AM

Boba is correct. My friend had been off dish for a year or so. He had been tempted back by TWC for a while. Still 6 months is better than no option at all!
Robbin
HR21-700
Formerly 622,942, 921, 721, Dishplayer, 4000

#17 Guest_EchoDish_*

Guest_EchoDish_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:52 AM

Deleted Message

#18 OFFLINE   23collector

23collector

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:27 AM

I had to cancell my Dish service from 1999 until 2003 because I moved into a condo complex that didn't allow satellite dishes.

When I moved into my current house, I called to activate new equipment and they still had me on record as being a customer with "suspended service".

Once you're in... you're in... you can never leave da family!

#19 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:22 AM

ask to sign up under the Previous Customer DHA, will save you (and the retailer) a lot of headache!

#20 OFFLINE   garypen

garypen

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:09 AM

Or, if you are in an area served by SBC, you only need to be deactivated from Dish for 6 months to sign up with SBC Dish as a new customer. But, I don't belive SBC offers theh 942 or 625 models. They are said to be releasing their own receiver which combines an HD DVR with a home media center and DSL modem/router later this year, though.

Originally posted by WeeJavaDude
I have to agree with Gary.
Originally posted by Jacob S
I have to agree with Gary.
Originally posted by Randall DBS
Yep you know it. I have to agree with Gary.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...