Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

VOOM's current HDTV giveaway...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 05:48 PM

I just remembered that VOOM is in the middle of an HDTV giveaway promotion where they are giving out 5 HDTVs (plus a year of service) valued at over $4,000 each. My reading of the official legal rules indicates that they need to draw for at least one of these -- and possibly all five of these -- even though they are closing down. Since they aren't going bankrupt, it seems that they should have to do so.

Just curious if anyone else here has been installed the entry app (and kept it running on your machine -- as required by the rules)?

Any thoughts on this? I'm tempted to push the issue a bit with them since I really didn't want to leave their update/monitoring service running all the time on my machine (I'm not normally one to do that) and only did so because of the contest.

- John...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 09:08 PM

5 HDTVs (plus a year of service) valued at over $4,000 each.

Wow... The HDTV and a year of service is worth way over $4,000 considering that they will now have to continue renting satellite time and uplinking their service to provide the prize to these lucky five people. :lol: Imagine that. I wouldn't want to pay the taxes on the value of that prize. :( After all, you DO have to pay the tax on such prizes. :lol:
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#3 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 09:32 PM

Yes, but they reserve the right to substitute or pay cash value if the prize becomes "unavailable." I'm sure they meant the TV when they added the clause -- but looks like it may help them with the programming instead! heh.

- John...

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,249 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:30 PM

If you win, they will send you VSH video tapes of the programs, but, similar (not simular) to NetFlix, you have to plan your VOOM viewing in advance. :whatdidid

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:34 PM

:lol:

Maybe I should just send them a "hey -- about this contest you've got going on -- how about I magically win one of the TVs and I don't raise a stink about you not awarding all five of them before closing yours doors" email. ;)

- John...

#6 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,249 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:43 PM

Go for it, John & good luck getting EMR out of a turnip! :D

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#7 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:54 AM

Just as an update, I got an email from VOOM stating that they were going to draw for the one HDTV on May 15th and award that one from all the currently entries. So, at least they gave it some thought and took some action on it. Impressive, actually -- I figured that they'd just forget about it.

- John...

#8 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:50 PM

Just as an update, I got an email from VOOM stating that they were going to draw for the one HDTV on May 15th and award that one from all the currently entries. So, at least they gave it some thought and took some action on it. Impressive, actually -- I figured that they'd just forget about it.

- John...

Theres probably a bunch of lawyers hoping they'd just forget about it too! :icon_lol:

spam firewall