Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Essentials for a New Member

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thesaint

thesaint

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 01:13 PM

My install is on Sat. and I have a couple concerns:

1) Is this the best package availible: I got the Top 180 for 3 months free, $49.00 free installation credit and the DVR-522, free equipment.

2) Should I get the insurance?

3) What should do before install?

4) Is there I should ask the installer before or after he/she is done?

5) Do you tip installers?

6) Is the DVR-522 a good unit? Should I upgrade? Can I upgrade after instalition?

7) Can you pay a year in advance? Do you recieve a discount if you do? Would you recommend it?

8) What is CLUBDISH and how does it work?

9)I live in an apartment is ther anthing special I need to do ?

10) How is there customer service and repairs?

Thank you everyone for any advice or suggesions you could provide!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JonBlack

JonBlack

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:36 PM

1) Yes, it's a good package.

2) Opinions vary but most say you use it once and it pays for itself.

3) Nothing really.

4) Just make sure they setup everything and that it is working properly.

5) I think it varies on your happiness.

6) Pretty good but it has some issues for some users. Upgrade to what exactly, HD, HD-DVR? Yes, but it will cost you more than getting whatever you are looking at now.

7) Yes. I believe it usually works out to paying 10 months worth of programming but getting 12 months in return. If you are going to stay with E* awhile, then why not. If you are just testing the waters you might as well hold out like me :D

8) It's where you refer friends to sign up with E*, in return you get a discount.

9) Line of site and non-common area to setup the dish. Have an idea on how the wiring is going to get into the apt. without tearing anything up. Also, it helps if your landlord is cool with everything first. Even though you are within your rights to have 1 meter or less dish in a dedicated area, it is always helpful to have the landlord on your side.

10) It's OK. Everytime I call I'm on hold usually at least 20 minutes. That's not great IMHO.

#3 OFFLINE   thesaint

thesaint

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:54 PM

1) Yes, it's a good package.

2) Opinions vary but most say you use it once and it pays for itself.

3) Nothing really.

4) Just make sure they setup everything and that it is working properly.

5) I think it varies on your happiness.

6) Pretty good but it has some issues for some users. Upgrade to what exactly, HD, HD-DVR? Yes, but it will cost you more than getting whatever you are looking at now.

7) Yes. I believe it usually works out to paying 10 months worth of programming but getting 12 months in return. If you are going to stay with E* awhile, then why not. If you are just testing the waters you might as well hold out like me :D

8) It's where you refer friends to sign up with E*, in return you get a discount.

9) Line of site and non-common area to setup the dish. Have an idea on how the wiring is going to get into the apt. without tearing anything up. Also, it helps if your landlord is cool with everything first. Even though you are within your rights to have 1 meter or less dish in a dedicated area, it is always helpful to have the landlord on your side.

10) It's OK. Everytime I call I'm on hold usually at least 20 minutes. That's not great IMHO.

I appreciate all the advice...will DO!

Couple of more questions....

I don't have HD compatible TV so thats not an option but IS there a better set up then the DVR-522? I got the one reciever for two TVs (bedroom/living room)

And I am going to call them about the year in advance...since I have to have a year comittment anyway...the full year pre-pay dosen't sound so bad?
Do you know how thw prepay works specifically cause I can't find it on their site!

Thanks again

#4 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:16 PM

Just tell them you want the prepay one year in advance. If I were you, I'd try the service for a month or two. Assuming you're satisfied and want to keep your package, call them up and say you want to go to annual billing and they'll set you up on prepaying. It's very easy. I suggest the delay since you're new to the service. I've had it since 1999 and am very happy, but others are not happy, so you might want to try it out for a couple months incase you decide to go to D* or cable instead.

FYI - Clubdish benefits the referrer $5 per month for 1 year off their bill. It typically has no effect on you.

#5 OFFLINE   JonBlack

JonBlack

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:15 PM

I'm pretty new to E* myself. So I know where you are coming from.

For your situation I think the 522 is perfect. You'll probably love it. I really like mine.

I agree with finniganps. I still stand behind waiting a month or so and then get on the annual plan. Unless, you've had E* before and love the AT180 package. Also, you might end up wanting the AT120 or AEP instead.

Here's an example of the AT180 annual pricing. I was wrong! You get 12 months of programming for the price of 11 months.

http://www.dishnetwo...=10045&sortby=1

#6 OFFLINE   jaschier

jaschier

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:46 PM

if you're getting the 522, more than likely its a leased rec. dha accts don't allow annual pricing. meaning if you want to pay for 1 year, you can do that, but you don't get any discount. the acct is still a monthly acct, you'd just have the credit balance on the acct. no discount w/ dha.
DISH since 7/04

XM since 3/05

#7 OFFLINE   thesaint

thesaint

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:20 PM

I'll call them tomorrow about the annual fee, since I'm already signed to a one year contract (was that a mistake?)...

I thought they wouldn't have and problem giving me the annual fee with discount since I'm already locked in....

don't think I'm going back to cable I can get the exact same package from Dish Network for half the price but I do miss my yankees....but I'm saving up for a house so I had to suffer (thats what bars and beer is for)....

But one more BIG question and a couple of small ones...

1) If I am unhappy with the service after a month or two CAN I CANCEL?

2) Is there anything I should look out for on my first billing statement?

3) Why don't they have better sport packages?

4) Should I be concerned about rain and pigeons with my dish

5) What is this stuff about Voom and Viacom about having problems with Dish Network?

6) What are the advantages/disaddvantages between buying , leasing and getting the $5.99 insurance and do you need insurance with leasing?
Thanks again...

#8 OFFLINE   Bahnzo

Bahnzo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:55 PM

OK, just my opinions....

The contract is a mistake, did you go thru a retailer or sign up on the web or something? If so I would cancel that and sign up with dish directly.

Why?

The only good thing about the contract is the warranty for free. However, you can add this warranty at any time, even after the problem occurs, and cancel it at any time without a fee. So really there is no purpose in that.

1) answer is no. If you sign a contract for one year, well, then you can't cancel after a couple months.

2) First bill will be for two months of service.

#9 OFFLINE   thesaint

thesaint

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:33 AM

OK, just my opinions....

The contract is a mistake, did you go thru a retailer or sign up on the web or something? If so I would cancel that and sign up with dish directly.

Why?

The only good thing about the contract is the warranty for free. However, you can add this warranty at any time, even after the problem occurs, and cancel it at any time without a fee. So really there is no purpose in that.

1) answer is no. If you sign a contract for one year, well, then you can't cancel after a couple months.

2) First bill will be for two months of service.

I'm happy you responded...

Because I live in an apartment I was told the super cannot autherize my install (Dish Network WILL NOT install without a signed letter from the landlord and they ALSO told me I needed a one year agreement although my credit is excellent) ...

and I'm having problems finding the landlord (although they are always availible to cash my rent check)

So I had to go to a retailer who didn't need a letter of authorization and was reputable. Almost a third of the resident in the building have either Dish or Direct, not including those lucky enough to have acccess to the roof, so I had no choice.

I have a question

1) If I charge everything , can't I use my credit card company to fight it, if I do encounter problems?

2) What exactly does the warranty cover....

#10 OFFLINE   jaschier

jaschier

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:49 AM

even if you're locked into a one year agreement (dha comes with either no commit, or 1or 2 year commitment option). the annual programming package can't be billed to a digital home advantage (leasing) account at all, even if you've signed a 1year agrement. the only way to get it billed as 1year and get the discount is if you had signed up for a promotion where you own the equipment.
DISH since 7/04

XM since 3/05

#11 OFFLINE   thesaint

thesaint

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 12:31 PM

even if you're locked into a one year agreement (dha comes with either no commit, or 1or 2 year commitment option). the annual programming package can't be billed to a digital home advantage (leasing) account at all, even if you've signed a 1year agrement. the only way to get it billed as 1year and get the discount is if you had signed up for a promotion where you own the equipment.

OK so I can;t get the annual pre-pay with discount....

I'll still call and see if I can negotiate...

1) Is better to own or lease your equipment?

2) How do you get the package deal I received without the 1 year commitment?

3) And how binding is the 1 yr agrerement?

#12 OFFLINE   JonBlack

JonBlack

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 01:56 PM

OK so I can;t get the annual pre-pay with discount....

I'll still call and see if I can negotiate...

1) Is better to own or lease your equipment?

2) How do you get the package deal I received without the 1 year commitment?

3) And how binding is the 1 yr agrerement?

1) I think the DHA lease in an ok idea. Alot of people bash it and have problems with it. DHA is not bad though you get the equipment you want, they install it and get you going. If you buy your own equipment you have to take care of everything unless you want to pay an installer, since they don't seem to have FFA (Free For All) anymore.

If you bought a 522 the retail is something like $350 but I've seen it for around $330 without going the ebay route. Plus, getting the 522 by itself you still have to pay the DVR fee leased or owned. This isn't factoring in the cost of the dish, switch etc. just one receiver.

One downside is that if you cancel E* they will want you to ship the 522 (plus the LNB's and switch I think) back to them because they own the equipment. I don't think they take the dish back though, since it isn't cost effective for them.

If the equipment breaks they will replace it. If I'm not mistaken, the first 90 days is at no cost to you. After that there is a cost of something around $20 unless you have the warranty as discussed above or need a technician to do it for you.

2) Call E* and talk to them they might work with you. The only exception would be if you purchased it through a retailer. You *might* have to cancel everything and then order it again. That's the worst case scenario. You need to do this before it is installed and activated. Once that occurs all bets are off.

3) I think if you break the contract you send the equipment back and they charge you a fee.

#13 OFFLINE   JonBlack

JonBlack

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 02:07 PM

3) Why don't they have better sport packages?

4) Should I be concerned about rain and pigeons with my dish

5) What is this stuff about Voom and Viacom about having problems with Dish Network?

3) Charlie is cheap and sports are pricey. Kinda like oil and water.

4) Probably not. For me the rain only will knock out the locals on the 105. The national feeds stay on through some heavy rains though. So if you need a Superdish your locals might be suspect at times. If you only need Dish500 then you are set.

5) Look at the recent Charlie Chat thread, there's some info there.

#14 OFFLINE   thesaint

thesaint

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 02:55 PM

1) I think the DHA lease in an ok idea. Alot of people bash it and have problems with it. DHA is not bad though you get the equipment you want, they install it and get you going. If you buy your own equipment you have to take care of everything unless you want to pay an installer, since they don't seem to have FFA (Free For All) anymore.

If you bought a 522 the retail is something like $350 but I've seen it for around $330 without going the ebay route. Plus, getting the 522 by itself you still have to pay the DVR fee leased or owned. This isn't factoring in the cost of the dish, switch etc. just one receiver.

One downside is that if you cancel E* they will want you to ship the 522 (plus the LNB's and switch I think) back to them because they own the equipment. I don't think they take the dish back though, since it isn't cost effective for them.

If the equipment breaks they will replace it. If I'm not mistaken, the first 90 days is at no cost to you. After that there is a cost of something around $20 unless you have the warranty as discussed above or need a technician to do it for you.

2) Call E* and talk to them they might work with you. The only exception would be if you purchased it through a retailer. You *might* have to cancel everything and then order it again. That's the worst case scenario. You need to do this before it is installed and activated. Once that occurs all bets are off.

3) I think if you break the contract you send the equipment back and they charge you a fee.

Can I take this moment to say this is the best board I have ever been on...you guys have provided more information in a day then repeated phone calls to both DIsh and Direct combined...

thank you for all the warranty info - incredibly helpful!

Seems like I got the best deal availible and I can't risk calling about the pre-pay and having Dish come out because then I will need my landlord's signature (which I don't have!)

So I will have to wait during/after install to try to bargain with them...

They did tell me that they only need the receiver and if I move to just leave the dish behind...

also is it ever a good idea to have the installers check out the equipment or should you only stick with Dish customer service?

spam firewall