Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

VOOM: You will not be billed beyond April 30th

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,213 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:42 PM

If you've had 'final' billing questions as I have, pressing the VOOM button now gets this announcement.

Important Message From VOOM

We regret to inform you that VOOM will be discontinuing
service on April 30, 2005. You will not be billed beyond
April 30th. We apologize for any inconvenience, and
thank you for being a loyal VOOM customer.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,213 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:58 PM

Now comes the email:

VOOM is Discontinuing Service

Dear NICK,

As we recently notified you on-screen and as you may have also read in the newspapers or on our website, the VOOM service is being terminated on April 30th. The notice period is designed to provide you an opportunity to transition to another television service provider. We are currently reviewing customer accounts in preparation for final statement delivery and service termination.

There is no action you need to take at this time, other than to contact a new service provider. We have valued our relationship, and thank you for being a loyal VOOM customer.

Sincerely,
VOOM Customer Service

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,213 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 04:02 PM

No word yet about disposition of the recever or the dish.

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:37 PM

In my email about my canceled service call, they said that someone would be in contact "soon" about returning my equipment. We'll see how that goes, actually.

They also said I wouldn't be billed passed the day that I called for service.

- John...

#5 OFFLINE   terfmop

terfmop

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:46 PM

If they decide to not come get the receivers I wonder if anyone wll be able to find a good use for them....other than a paperweight or doorstop

#6 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,213 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:42 AM

I'm sure someone will market an adapter kit consisting of an eyebolt, nut and washer.

http://images.google...30/30002100.gif

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#7 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:45 AM

That looks like the new Voom Boat Anchor Kit. Available from your local Voom distributor for only $9.95 plus a small shipping and handling fee. If you act immediately they will double your order at no additional cost to you. :D
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#8 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:01 AM

Heh. My VOOM dish apparently turned out of alignment yesterday -- I suddenly have a signal well below lock level. This is on a 5 week old install. Not very impressive... :(

- John...

#9 OFFLINE   Cpt Matt

Cpt Matt

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:41 AM

Ebay lists the recievers for $1, but you need to pay $25 for shipping. Aint it a great country.

Does any one know if the terrestrial reciever will work on its own? Without the Voom program guide of course. Built in scaler, HD and sd reception, digital audio, decent universal remote. Quite a bargin for $26.

#10 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:51 AM

Does any one know if the terrestrial reciever will work on its own? Without the Voom program guide of course. Built in scaler, HD and sd reception, digital audio, decent universal remote. Quite a bargin for $26.

This has come up before -- even asked specifically by me. I got completely different answers from different people. Some said it absolutely would not -- others said that it surely would.

So, I tried to do some quick testing myself. I removed the splitter box thing from the back and plugged the OTA antenna feed in by itself. I was still able to tune the OTA stuff without any trouble. However, that was WITH an activated card. I then pulled the card and could NOT get passed the "no card" screen no matter what I did.

So -- it appears that with an activated card, OTA works even without a VOOM feed. If the card was not there, it would not work. The big question is whether or not it would work with a deactivated card (i.e. if the card was there, but not valid/subscribed, would OTA still work?).

Another question is if, when VOOM dies, how long a card would remain valid (assuming they don't send a card deactivation signal to everyone). If it stays forever valid, then OTA should be fine, I think...

- John...

#11 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,213 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 01:10 PM

Just remove the VOOM dish feed on or before 4/30 - no signal, no deactivation. Period.

Am I missing something?

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#12 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 03:16 PM

Yes, you'd be missing the possibility that the cards go invalid after a certain amount of time without a signal. I believe that the new Nagra2 Dish cards do this.

That is what I meant by "if VOOM dies, how long a card would remain valid..." part. That even if it was out of the stream and therefore not deactivated, that the cards might not necessarily stay "activated" forever.

Note that I THINK they WILL -- so I'm not overly worried. But it is a possibility.

- John...

spam firewall