Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is 942 the same as 921 but better ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dreamer

dreamer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:50 PM

I was one of the original 921 owners and experienced the blue line problem. I sent my 921 back and got a refund. I have been waiting patiently since then (while reading all of the 921 bug threads) hoping DN would come out with a 921 replacement.

Is the 942 that unit ? I know it has 2 tuners and can be used for 2 seperate TV's, but can't it also be used as a dual tuner for just 1 TV on the TV1 setting of outputs ?

Mark and expertise on this unit from you would be especially appreciated.

The main functions I am looking for out of a multi-tuner DVR is:
1. Stability
2. Ability to record 2 shows at 1 time.
3. HD programming
4. SD/HD functionality
5. STABILITY !

Thanks for any help !

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:54 PM

Dreamer - go read my review in the 942 support forum. It answers all of your questions, and about 100 more that you'll come up with along the way.

In short:

Yes, single user mode makes it a dual tuner box for 1 tv.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   cclement

cclement

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:10 PM

Hey Mark, comparing the two. On the 921, the max I can extend a recording is 29 minutes. What's the max padding on the 942? This is helpful for the shows after the games that can start and end up to an hour later than planned.

#4 OFFLINE   dreamer

dreamer

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:50 PM

Mark,

Thanks for that reveiw ! I read the whole thing but I do have a question regarding image sizing from the 942 on a 16x9 Sony Wega 610 LCD HDTV. After reading some of the replies to your review I saw a number of people already complaining about the screen size modes of the 942.

Can you break down how the 942 handles SD content as well as HD content in layman's terms for me. My current 510 DVR's do a fine job at screen sizing on my 60" LCD and 42" plasma.

Thanks !

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:10 PM

cclement - 30 minutes for a normal event, 60 minutes for a sports event.

dreamer, OK, lets try this:

SD content, the 942 can upconvert it to 1080i, 720p or 480p. The screen formats are Stretch (linear stretching the 4x3 window to fill the 16x9 screen), Partial Zoom (linear stretching the 4x3 image to fill the 16x9 screen, and then vertically stretching the image about 15%), Zoom (linear stretching the 4x3 image to fill the 16x9 screen, vertically stretching the image about 30%), Gray Bars (superimposing gray side bars over the black side bars on the sides of the 4x3 image). All of the format modes are functional with SD content.

That's not the case with HD content, though. When watching HD programming, the format fuctions are not available due to a bug in the video driver. Meaning, you can't stretch an station upconverted 4x3 image. There are ways around all of it, though, depending on what input resolutions your display devices can stretch. In my opinion, the lack of stretch functions for the HD channels isn't enough of a reason to stay away from the 942.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#6 OFFLINE   dreamer

dreamer

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:57 PM

Ok I understand that.

In your opinion how do the various stretch modes actually look on a 16x9 widescrren TV ?

Have you heard any chatter that the HD stretch modes will be available in the future ?

#7 OFFLINE   kspeters

kspeters

Mentor/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:53 AM

[quote name='Mark Lamutt']cclement - 30 minutes for a normal event, 60 minutes for a sports event.

QUOTE]

I don't know why they don't let that be user defined b/c on my replay DVR I can pad what ever I want to. For example one time i knew the guide data was wrong and a show was going ot be on for two hours. I just seklected the first show in the time slot and padded the recording 1 1/2 hours. Works fine. With all these little glitches they encounter why don't they just license replay or tivo technology? Is it because Charly thinks he can build a better mouse trap? With all that being said I am expecting to get a 942 early next week. :hurah:

#8 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:16 AM

kspeters - that's a can of worms that I have no intention of opening.

dreamer - I have both TV1 and the composite outputs of TV2 connected to my HDTV. About half the time I use partial zoom when watching 4x3 content on my HDTV, and the other half the time I change to the TV2 outputs and let my HDTV do the non-linear stretch. Just depends on what I'm watching.

HD stretch modes will be available - just waiting on a broadcom driver update for them.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

Protected By... spam firewall...And...