Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

721 "too old" for new yellow card?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Presence

Presence

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:54 PM

I received the yellow card for my 721 receiver today. So I followed the instructions given: slapped it in, activated it with the automated system over the phone... and waited. The sheet said to give it 15 minutes for programming to return. I gave it 30. Still the error screen glared at me, with its "the smartcard is not authorized for use with this receiver." Joy.

So I call up Dish Network, and am given the usual tasks of removing and reinserting the smartcard, etc. Finally, I am given to a "higher level" rep (with amazing English-speaking ability. Not really.) who, after some checking on my error 020, tells me my 721 might be too old to be compatible with the new yellow card.

Say what?

Long story short: Dish is sending me a new 721 receiver, along with a box to return my old one. The rep assures me the new receiver is free, but I'll bet any money I'll be seeing a sizable charge on my account in the future even after they've received my old one.

Sounds suspicious to me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,220 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 15 April 2005 - 07:06 AM

What a great consumer-friendly solution! :)

I think I'll dial up Germany about my 1991 Chrysler 5th Avenue...

:rolleyes:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   Big Bob

Big Bob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:25 AM

I got my 721 about a month or so after they came out. No problem with new card. FWIW
Big Bob

#4 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:42 AM

I also have an "old" 721 and had no problem activating the new yellow card when it came several months ago.

It is possible that Presence's 721 had some other problem (corrupt TSOP?) and it wouldn't work with the new card. Another possibility is that the 721 did not have the correct software version to work with the new card but the CSR should have checked that.
Bill R

#5 OFFLINE   Presence

Presence

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 06:50 PM

The 721 has the latest software (L175? Can't remember), which we did check. It's just odd because when I put the yellow card into the receiver, eventually in the Info section of the menu for SmartCard ID it will say "NO SMARTCARD FOUND." Blue card works fine.

#6 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 10:22 PM

My 721 accepted the new yellow card without any problems whatsoever.

#7 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 08:42 AM

It's just odd because when I put the yellow card into the receiver, eventually in the Info section of the menu for SmartCard ID it will say "NO SMARTCARD FOUND." Blue card works fine.

That was an indication that the new card was bad. It was not an indication that THAT receiver would not work with a yellow card. I had a card go bad in one of my other receivers and I got the "no smartcard found" message. The CSR was smart enough to figure out that the card was bad and sent out a new one (not a new receiver which also would have fixed the problem).
Bill R

#8 OFFLINE   Presence

Presence

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:36 AM

Today I called up Dish because the programming on my old Blue card went out yesterday, leaving me with nothing on my 721.

Call 1: Account is brought up, Dish rep notes the problems I had last time. Rep decides I need to talk to "advanced tech support." As I'm being transferred, I am hung up on. Total time: 12 minutes.

Call 2: Account is brought up, Dish rep wants to know what the "advanced tech support" rep said to me five minutes ago (surprisingly, this rep I supposedly talked to is noted in my account notes). I told her I was hung up on during transfer. She puts me on hold to do some research. A few minutes later, she asks if I talked to the "smart card access team." I told her I have no idea, explained what happened the other night. She transfers me to the "smart card team." The team rep talks to me a bit, reads my account notes, and decides I need to talk to "advanced tech support." As I'm being transferred, I am hung up on. Total time: 27 minutes.

Call 3: I give my account number to the rep, and immediately ask to be transferred to "advanced tech support." I am not sure who I actually get but I doubt it was advanced tech support because the person puts me through the motions of hard resets WITH the yellow card (which of course does not help), then notes that FedEx has my receiver out for delivery today which seems to make her give up trying to help me with what I have. She tells me only the "smart card team" can reactivate my Blue card. (Note this took three calls to get this information.) She DOES (allegedly) give me a five-day credit on my programming for all this hassle. I call it good and decide to wait for my new receiver. Total time: 18 minutes.

FedEx just dropped off the new (oh wait, "remanufactured") receiver. Looking forward to whatever may come next...

#9 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:10 PM

Yes, but you got a remanufactured box with probably a "new" hard drive so the unit should last an extra year or two than your last one......

Actually, I'm assuming this...... Do they just wipe the drives on returned units and send them out again?
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:02 PM

Yes, but you got a remanufactured box with probably a "new" hard drive so the unit should last an extra year or two than your last one......

Actually, I'm assuming this...... Do they just wipe the drives on returned units and send them out again?

Sometimes they don't even wipe them. I've seen several posts where people have gotten refurb units of various models that have the previous owner's recordings still on them.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#11 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:41 PM

I doubt that all if any of the refurbs have new hard drives in them.

#12 OFFLINE   Allen Noland

Allen Noland

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:41 PM

Same thing happend to me. The "too old" thing was just a line though. I bought my 721 a year after they were released. They did send me a referb for $14.95 shipping. Figure it was ok since I didn't have any warranty or anything. Worst part was watching the 80 hours of programming I had on it. Only took me 2 weeks. Kind of sand really. Good side is my 942 should be here in a couple of days and my 721 will be empty and ready to sell.
Allen

#13 OFFLINE   Rustynuts

Rustynuts

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:08 PM

I just got a yellow card for my old Dishplayer, so I don't think the 721 is too old. Of course the cards promptly hosed my systems, which I'm trying to get back!

#14 OFFLINE   garypen

garypen

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:18 PM

Presence - If you don't wanna give up your old receiver (and why should you?), maybe they can send you a new yellow card, since that is most likely the problem. Or, maybe they can reassign the yellow card from the refurb to your old 721. It's worth asking.

Originally posted by WeeJavaDude
I have to agree with Gary.
Originally posted by Jacob S
I have to agree with Gary.
Originally posted by Randall DBS
Yep you know it. I have to agree with Gary.

spam firewall