Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI connection from Cable box?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:29 PM

I was at a friend's house last weekend and he had his brand new Samsung DLP HDTV and audio system set up. He has Cox "digital" cable. But when I saw him adjust something I saw he was watching cable on "Component 1". I asked him why they hadn't hooked up the connection from the box to his TV via the HDMI ports, which both the box and his TV had. He didn't know why. Later he said that the installers were telling him that most people liked the componant connection better because the cable delivers analog from the street. Isn't it digital cable. They claim it is, but then why would he want componant connections instead of the highest possible quality of the HDMI connection? Can anyone give a reason for this, or was the installer just trying to avoid having to run additional cables etc...?
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:15 AM

I can think of several reasons the cable installer used component connections

1. Your friend's a/v receiver switches component, not HDMI
2. Let the TV's superior circuitry convert the all-analog (?) signal.
3. Some installer(s) aren't comfortable with new stuff they don't understand.

If his cable subscription is all analog, why does he need a cable converter box in the first place. I think it's more likely he has digital -- how else would he get HD channels for his new sammy DLP?

If the source is digital and the set is digital, it's best to use the HDMI connection.

-------------------

Nice avatar -- did you take the pic?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:18 AM

More than likely, it is a case of ignorance. The first cable installer that installed my box, just looked at my projector and seemed dumbfounded. The only cable he had with him was a component cable. I had a DVI on hand and hooked it up myself and he seemed to scratch his head and go "oh that's what that port is...."
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

#4 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 03:02 PM

That is my thinking. I think also he has PIP of course which he can't use if he only has one video input. I think what Cox does is send analog to the house, has an exterior box that "converts" it to digital to send it inside the house to a digital HD receiver, which then decodes it, but then if it is now digital why wouldn't you want to send that digital signal over the HDMI line? Doesn't make sense. Cox probably doesn't have enough customers who even know what they are talking about for them to even care. I am sure they just went componant from the receiver to the TV and ran the cable box and DVD player and VHS player into the receiver, figuring the people won't know one way or the other and this would be easier and cheaper.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#5 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 03:03 PM

Oh and yep, the Avitar is one of my pictures from my website www.view2az.com

#6 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 16 April 2005 - 08:50 PM

Great site, beautiful pics. Good work! :)

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...