Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Projector Questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Frobbo

Frobbo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:20 AM

I am considering buying a front projector. I have a couple of questions for people who know more than me. My gear is in the front of my room (near a RPTV), how would I run the video signal to the back (appox 19 feet)? If I used a component cable would I get any signal loss? Where does one get such a long cable? I would like to switch everything through my AV receiver, what about composite and s-vid sources? Would I need a scaler or something like it to convert them to component so I could send that signal through a single component cable from the receiver to the projector or would I have to run all three kinds of cables back to the projector? Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SJ HART

SJ HART

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:48 AM

You may want to check out AVS FORUM. They have dedicated areas to discuss front projectors. You need to run cables between your equipment and your projector. If you are willing to spend additional $$$s, you can get a SIM2 300E Link which requires you to only run a single cable (which is very small). I personally have a scaler (iSCAN HD) which I run everything into and then run a single DVI cable (long) from my equipment to my projector (which is an Optoma H79). Another alternative is to move your equipment to the back of your room. SJ

#3 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:05 PM

Can one do this wirelessly?

#4 OFFLINE   SJ HART

SJ HART

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:59 PM

No. I have never heard of this.... SJ

#5 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:21 AM

Can one do this wirelessly?

I currently have a setup with a dvi, component, and a/v cables running 20 feet to my projector mounted in the center of the ceiling in a 26 foot room. I have noticed no loss whatsoever in runs of that size. As for where to get cables, check Froogle or if you are fairly tech savvy, use your own RG6 quad shield terminted with F-connectors and then use RCA adapters. They make great affordable component cables. As for a 20 foot dvi cable, don't pay over 50 bucks. I am work right now, but I will get the name of the supplier I worked through and post it here for you if you'd like.
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

#6 OFFLINE   Frobbo

Frobbo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:37 PM

Yes, I would be interested in where you got the cable, thanks

#7 OFFLINE   dfergie

dfergie

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:15 PM

An Excellent starter is the X1 if you are not concerned with true Hd... and they do a pretty good job with downrezzing Hd also...

#8 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:22 AM

Sorry I forget to check the site about the cable, but I would recommend the Sany PLV-Z2 or PLV-Z3. This is BY FAR the best front projector for the money. It has minimal screen door effect and will only run you between 1500 and 1700 with shipping. Sometimes, you can ever get a retailer to throw in a low end screen with it.

#9 OFFLINE   Larry Caldwell

Larry Caldwell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:50 AM

I am considering buying a front projector. I have a couple of questions for people who know more than me. My gear is in the front of my room (near a RPTV), how would I run the video signal to the back (appox 19 feet)? If I used a component cable would I get any signal loss? Where does one get such a long cable? I would like to switch everything through my AV receiver, what about composite and s-vid sources? Would I need a scaler or something like it to convert them to component so I could send that signal through a single component cable from the receiver to the projector or would I have to run all three kinds of cables back to the projector? Thanks

1. Component video will run that distance with no problem. You would be pushing it to run DVI that far. Whoever sells you the projector should have long cables for sale. Everyone who buys a projector needs them.

2. There are a few receivers on the market that up-convert composite and S-video to component. I picked the Onkyo 702, which is a 7.1 THX amp with lots of features for only $799 list. I found it on the net for $599 and free shipping.

3. You didn't ask about screens, but I found a cheap electric screen at Tiger Direct. I had to send the first one back because it had been trashed, but they replaced it with a good one. It's not the most elegant thing in the world, but it has IR remote to the controller and I hid the case above the ceiling. I can't remember the exact cost, but it was in the $600 range, far cheaper than any other electric screen I found.

#10 OFFLINE   RLMesq

RLMesq

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:49 PM

2. There are a few receivers on the market that up-convert composite and S-video to component. I picked the Onkyo 702, which is a 7.1 THX amp with lots of features for only $799 list. I found it on the net for $599 and free shipping.

3. You didn't ask about screens, but I found a cheap electric screen at Tiger Direct. I had to send the first one back because it had been trashed, but they replaced it with a good one. It's not the most elegant thing in the world, but it has IR remote to the controller and I hid the case above the ceiling. I can't remember the exact cost, but it was in the $600 range, far cheaper than any other electric screen I found.

I just bought a Denon AVR-1705 from ecost for $199, factory refurbished. It has three component inputs and upconverts composite and s-vide.

It's 6.1 and only 75 watts per channel, but I didn't want to shell out a whole lot for a new receiver because JVC is coming out with affordable receivers with HDMI upconversion later this year and I'm sure others will follow suit. If it does the job for a year I'll be very happy.

projectionwholesale.com has electric screens down to $345 for a 45 x 80. I can't vouch for the quality of the screens or company, though.

#11 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:25 PM

Not sure how this one got brought back up again... but... speaking on the quality of JVC products... their televisions are top notch... their receivers well, I would bundle them in with the low end Pioneer, Kenwood, etc., lines. They are ok, but you are paying for what you get. At high volumes, there is usually notable hiss in these receivers and the definition of the audio is never really all that great because of the cheap components they use. I would recommend, spending a little more money for something better or stick with component cables, no loss on quality, and just use a high end receiver that is maybe behind a model year or so.

#12 OFFLINE   RLMesq

RLMesq

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:26 PM

I would recommend, spending a little more money for something better or stick with component cables, no loss on quality, and just use a high end receiver that is maybe behind a model year or so.

I'm not particularly fond of JVC receivers, either, but I think their addition of HDMI upconversion will spark other companies to include it in affordable receivers. That's why I chose to bridge the gap with a refurbished Denon.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...