Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

When are HDTVs going down in price?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   News Junky

News Junky

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 12:12 PM

I really want a wedescreen HDTV but I don't want to pay an arm. Historically new high tech stuff such as pdas, carculators and cumputers start out costing a mint but in time prices go down and quility even goes up. I'm holding out on purpose. Anybody have an ideam when widescreen HDTVs will be a little more affordable?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:15 PM

The price will go down 30 days after I buy one. Right after the price guarantee gives out, the price will drop like a ROCK! :)

Seriously, the price of these items has been steadily dropping. I've seen several good widescreen HDTV sets loaded with features reach 2.5 kilobucks. The same sets were at 5 or 6 kilobucks only a year or two ago.

My personal limit is 1 kilobuck. Anything above that, it ain't happening.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#3 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:54 PM

Take a look at the cost of good video projection units. They have been dropping like a rock as quality has been going through the roof. I have a projector mounted to my ceiling that cost me well under $1k that blows away the over $3k one I had many years ago. This one weighs in at about 6 pounds, the other was near 100 pounds. This one is near HD quality (well, sort of at 800x600), the other was standard NTSC and no where near the picture quality. This one has a scan converter built in which boosts an incoming signal to it's native frequency. Even SD satellite looks great because of this. This one is brighter and can be used in a non darkened room.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#4 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:03 PM

I really want a wedescreen HDTV but I don't want to pay an arm. Historically new high tech stuff such as pdas, carculators and cumputers start out costing a mint but in time prices go down and quility even goes up. I'm holding out on purpose. Anybody have an ideam when widescreen HDTVs will be a little more affordable?

where's the smiley face? :D 5 years ago a 640X480, 600 ansi lumen projector from Sony was $4 K. Today a full high definition, 1200 ansi lumen 6000:1 contrast is 3200. 1998 the first flat screen tv sold in this country, The 36" Sony Wega non HD was 2499.99. Today an HD version is about 1500. You can buy 27" HDs for around 450 now. :D

#5 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:27 PM

Prices have already dropped big time and will drop some more but there is a low point for everything before you will see more in the way of improvement in the product instead of lowering of the prices. I do not expect the prices to drop much less if any less than what the SD televisions were the same size and until the SD television that same size is phased out and only HD available.

#6 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:30 PM

I think you can play the "wait until the price drops/performance improves/features increase" game until hell freezes over. If you're in an area where you can get good OTA reception, buy what you can make work given your finances and enjoy!!

We invested a lot of money in a good home theater system and rarely go out to movies any more. Our family spends a lot of time in the family room and the friends of our two teenage daughters do the same. And we couldn't be happier.
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#7 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:04 AM

Its cheaper to stay at home than pay for gasoline and car expenses.

I agree, one can wait forever for prices to drop and you will always see something new come out that you will want to wait for the price to drop on it and its a never ending cycle.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:10 AM

There's a couple of schools of thought that I apply to technology like this when I shop...

School A: Buy the top of the line, assuming I can afford it, and be very happy with it... and DO NOT shop further. Don't look at advertisements or browse in stores... because within 60 days, there will be something better and/or cheaper at the same store you bought from.. and there's no sense feeling bad/guilty about something that made you happy the day you bought it. Let it ride, enjoy it, and when the time comes to replace it many years down the road enjoy again!

School B: Realizing advancements will happen... buy something middle-of-the-road that has good, but not best, features... typically the most useful features for "right now"... and pay a middle-ground price. Know you don't have top of the line, but saved a lot of money... then keep your eyes open... within a year or so, the top of the line will be the middle-ground... and can probably be had for about what you paid for the middle-ground earlier... if you play your cards right you can get an upgrade and have a second TV for a total cost of what the top-of-line model would have cost you when you went shopping the first time.

Ultimate rule though... don't second-guess yourself a month after the purchase. Study, shop around, and when you do buy... use the heck out of it to make sure you're happy and it does what it claims to do... then sit back and enjoy without continuing to worry if you made the right choice or not.

#9 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:37 PM

. . . School A: Buy the top of the line, assuming I can afford it, and be very happy with it... and DO NOT shop further. Don't look at advertisements or browse in stores... because within 60 days, there will be something better and/or cheaper at the same store you bought from.. and there's no sense feeling bad/guilty about something that made you happy the day you bought it. Let it ride, enjoy it, and when the time comes to replace it many years down the road enjoy again!

School A is for real men. Forget about other schools. They are for wimps and whiners. For all of my adult life, I've bought the best I could afford, kept it as long as I could, and took good care of it. Didn't make any difference if it was cars, A/V equipment, or clothes. When I net everything out, I figure I'm ahead of the game (my time and enjoyment are worth something to me).

I still have a Mc amplifier I purchased in 1970 and will pass it along to one of my daughters when she sets up her own home.

Carpe diem.
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#10 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:39 PM

I look at quality, price, and functionality. I look to see what features I like and what features is lacking for the price that I am paying and if I think that feature will be available in the future.

#11 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:27 AM

To answer the original question, HD TV prices have been dropping since their introduction.

I tracked a particular 53" panny HD RPTV model in retail stores for about 18 months. My original price point was $1500-$1600. As time went by, I saw the price drop from $2500 to $1400. I finally bought in August 2003 for under $1200 ($1169). The delivery guy bought my 5 yr old 31" panny for $200, bringing my net cost down to under $1000.

The newer panny model that replaced mine had DVI, 10 additional audio watts, and two more built-in speakers. For all the hullaballoo about DVI, my component connections produce an amazingly clear, sharp HD image, particularly on Discovery HD and on the VOOM HD channels. I had Gregg Loewen do a major tweak which was well worth the cost in maxing out PQ as well as prolonging the life of the set.

Personally speaking, the move from 31" SD to 53" HD was a quantum leap in home theater TV enjoyment for me. The addition of HD, despite the dearth of channels/programming, has been the culmination of a life-long '"love affair" with the tube and its sundry manifestations. I recently bought my first flat-panel TV, a bedroom set that replaced a 17 year-old sammy 25" set and cart (and a 9" bathroom TV), freeing up much needed additional space in my 12' x 15' "master" :D bedroom. The new display is a 17" TV/Monitor combo I picked up for less than $300. I sold the 17 year-old 25-incher TV for $150 to offset my cost, so I now have my first LCD panel (other than the five laptops I have owned over the years). I don't think I will ever buy another "box" type TV. ln the coming months and years, I have several TV sets to replace with flat-panels. :grin:

...and just think of the electricity I'll be saving! :D

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#12 OFFLINE   mkpolley

mkpolley

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 02:58 PM

if you are looking to save money,buy a rear projection hd set,look good,but very heavy.
most are under $1500 now.

#13 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,449 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:42 AM

I live in a relatively small market area, so buying choices are limited to Circuit City, Sears, a furniture/appliance store or two, Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. Generally, you can find 50 inch RP HD ready sets (need a set top box) for under $1000. 32 inch CRT HDTV's with integrated tuners are under $650 at Sam's and Wal-Mart. And this week, I found an RCA 50 inch DLP RP set for under $2K and a Panasonic 50 inch RP LCD (both with integrated ATSC tuners) for under $2500 at Wal-Mart, and a 50 inch Sony RP LCD at Sam's for $2200.
Yes, these prices are higher than conventional TV's, but I ran across an old undatedflyer from a now defunct TV/electronics store advertising a 27 inch Sony stereo TV on sale for $749 and a Panasonic 13 inch TV for $269! This flyer was probably 20 years old.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#14 OFFLINE   satellite_king2002

satellite_king2002

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:46 AM

I would assume that the prices will go down once there is a competitive package being offer by the other "higher priced" competitors :lol:

#15 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:23 AM

Also, many places make HD even more affordable by offering 0%. Tweeter/Mitsubishi gave me 2 years.
"But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to."
Peter Green - Fleetwood Mac

#16 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:28 PM

My personal limit is 1 kilobuck. Anything above that, it ain't happening.

Likewise...maybe a little more, up to a kilobuck and a half. I like to get the biggest bang for my buck, but with limited finances, I probably won't be buying this years model. I've thought about projectors, but with a large sliding door almost beside the viewing surface, I'd be afraid that the colors would get washed out.

#17 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:47 PM

I read in a thread on one of these forums where some new technology was coming out to allow higher resolution at even cheaper prices and more improvements. They will be able to manufacture one for a bit less than they can now.

#18 OFFLINE   Tom_P

Tom_P

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:44 AM

Wel I started 2 years ago with a 30" Widescreen Samsung. I got lucky because that unit was was supossed to be defective, the screen turned kind of pinky. I took the cahnce because I was price watching the tv and I read somewhere on the web that the problem was just that the color temp was too hot. I got it for $500 at Sears, wait for it to turn pink, change the temp and had never happened again. I just can tell you that the tv experience change a dramatically when I bought a Dish-6000 and the Hd cables for my Xbox.

Right know I'm price watching a Samsumg 4663W(46") DLP rear Projector. Where I live the sale price of that item was 2.5 kilobucks, just went to Sears last Sunday and the new sale price is $1899 plus one year no interest. The 53" model is at $2.5K and the 62" at $3K. So as stated on another post the prices are going down a lot, as technology goes cheaper. It is a matter do you want it or not, and what's your budget.

#19 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:56 PM

I seen a 65" Mitsubishi rear projection television for $1,999 now. It was $2,299 so thats a $300 price drop. Maybe it has went down even more since then.

#20 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:33 PM

Looks like you need to invest in a good dictionary first. Wedescreen? Carculators? Cumputers? Geez. :nono:
Chad

"The problem with the gene pool is that there aren't enough lifeguards." - Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Protected By... spam firewall...And...