Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help.. Lose some distants

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zmark

zmark

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:47 PM

I'm subscribed to LA and NY distants, but today I just lost CBS and ABC. :mad:

This doesn't make any sense because if I'm disqualified, I should have lost all of them (at least according to the addressbroker on dishnetwork.com). But I still have NBC and FOX. I'm been a subscriber since 1997 so I should be grandfathered in to receive all of them. I've made no recent changed to my subscription.

If I've lost them for good, can anyone recommend a zipcode in the central timezone I can "move" to.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 576 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:06 PM

If you were granted waivers before the SHVIA law was passed in 1999, you will lose distants if your zip code is eligible for locals.

It is possible that the local CBS and ABC stations in your market demanded all customers in their DMA have distants shutoff. You will probably lose NBC and FOX sometime soon if there are affiliates in your Nielsen market.

As to areas to move to in the Central Time Zone, I don't know of any given how the new SHVERA law is written. I will have to leave that to others who live in the Central zone.

#3 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:00 PM

If you were granted waivers before the SHVIA law was passed in 1999, you will lose distants if your zip code is eligible for locals.

That's only part of the story.

Anyway, welcome aboard, zmark!

You need to call E* (yeah, I know) and maybe play CSR roulette until you find out the correct story, and/or get them back.

Please let us know what happens!
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#4 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:17 PM

Better get used to it. Distants are going to be turned off soon if you have them and have not replied back. I have Distants and decided to just lose them because I need my Locals a hell of alot more than I do Distants. I live about 70 miles from my nearest Local. But those Locals Cover my local area for weather. N.Y. and L.A. Distants don't.

#5 OFFLINE   Bahnzo

Bahnzo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:46 PM

Today was the day the distant network election went into effect. Basically, if you live in a market where locals are available, dish sent you a letter stating you needed to make a descision to either keep distants and not your locals, or locals and not distants. If you didn't make this descision, then you automatically lost distants.

Losing just those two may have to do with you didn't have waivers for them, while you did for the others.

#6 OFFLINE   zmark

zmark

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:13 AM

Crap. That's what the CSR said. Of course I never received any letter. They said to call the executive office tomorrow. Is the executive office generally sympathetic to problems are am I going to get the runaround?

If I always had distants and never had locals, why did I have to reply to anything? Isn't it obvious that I wanted the distants.

#7 OFFLINE   Redrhino

Redrhino

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 02:55 PM

Today was the day the distant network election went into effect. Basically, if you live in a market where locals are available, dish sent you a letter stating you needed to make a descision to either keep distants and not your locals, or locals and not distants. If you didn't make this descision, then you automatically lost distants.

Losing just those two may have to do with you didn't have waivers for them, while you did for the others.

I am not 100% sure that anyone really understands who was forced to choose and who was not.

I moved last Fall (2004, well after the time to grandfather distants) and signed up for both locals and distants then. I was not sent a letter forcing me to choose one or the other. I also have not lost my distants.

This might be because Dish, for my new address, submitted waiver requests for me without me formally asking them to do so and the waivers were all approved, again without my knowledge, but I doubt it.

What I think is that for what were formally known as "white areas", where no antenna signal is possible ... and everyone agrees this is the case, no new LIL and DNS is going to be allowed. I suspect that for those with DNS where the DNS predated LIL for the DMA, they were asked to choose.

Again, I am not sure ... but I currently have both LIL and DNS.

Curiously,

Redrhino
All the best ...

Redrhino

#8 OFFLINE   zmark

zmark

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:40 PM

Well, I got through to the executive office today. They basically said to **** off; we fulfilled our obligations to notify you, whether you got the letter or not means nothing. Oh, they're going to apply for waivers for, but we all know that's a pointless exercise. What possible reason would a station have for granting a waiver? I think they just offered that option to get me off the phone.

I should have known better than to expect anything else from Echostar. **** you Charlie.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...