Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sunday & Monday Night Football Changes

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,911 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:01 PM

According to ABC News, ESPN will take over Monday Night Football from ABC in an eight year deal beginning in 2006.

No further details are available.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cclement

cclement

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:02 PM

35 years of ABC's MNF will come to an end, starting in 2006, MNF will be moved to ESPN and Sunday Night Football will be moved to NBC.

More can be read at espn.com
http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2040130

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,911 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:10 PM

From HoustonChronicle.com:

Monday Night Football moving to ESPN in 2006

Monday Night Football will move to ESPN from ABC beginning with the 2006 season for the blockbuster sum of $1.1 billion per year for eight years, and NBC will return to the NFL with a six-year deal to telecast Sunday night games for an estimated $600 million per year, industry sources said Monday.

FULL ARTICLE HERE
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#4 OFFLINE   homeskillet

homeskillet

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:02 PM

Notice in the article that the NFL might consider a Thursday/Saturday package that could air on THE NFL NETWORK..... DISH would really need to add that channel then.

Notice those comments come from the AP story posted on Yahoo News towards the bottom.

http://story.news.ya...fl_monday_night

The NFL is still considering an eight game late-season package of Thursday and Saturday night games on cable and satellite. Tagliabue has said the NFL's own new network could show some or all of those games.

#5 OFFLINE   News Junky

News Junky

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:59 PM

What is America coming to?

#6 OFFLINE   dcdivenut

dcdivenut

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:06 PM

Same thing it has been for a while...

Money talks....

The fact is that ABC had been losing money on MNF for years. ESPN is making money hand over fist and since they get subscriber fees they can afford it vs. ABC. NBC also gets Sunday night and they get flexible scheduling so they don;t get dog games at the end of the season. THat should be interesting to see how hat works out.

But in the end, the NFL gets what it wants which is more money, and continues its move to direct as much of its prgramming as possible to the NFL Network which may start carrying Thursday night games.

#7 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:59 PM

Yep. ABC couldn't afford to keep taking the losses. ESPN will raise their rates (and therefore our satellite bills) as soon as they can. Networks really are at a disadvantage since they don't have the subscriber fees to fall back on. I was perfectly happy with MNF on ABC, but ESPN negotiated the deal and the consumers are the ones who foot the bill, even though we didn't ask for ESPN to pay a billion dollars for the rights.

#8 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:10 PM

Any idea if this means the games will (eventually?) be broadcast in WS on ESPN-HD, sans the gray ESPN bars? :shrug:
Laverne

#9 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 04:47 AM

Both the ESPN MNF, and the NBC SNF will be in HD. ESPN will also run MNF on its Spanish channel.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:15 AM

The thing that is most puzzling to me is... Disney owns both ABC and ESPN... so from that standpoint, does it really matter whether ESPN or ABC "wins" the bidding? It still comes from Disney money anyway...

Last I had heard, ESPN still pulls in less viewers than ABC on average... so it seems to me that Disney as the parent company would want to show the program on the station that gets the most viewers. As it stands now, ABC will have to come up with a couple of hours of prime time programming to air on Mondays now that it didn't have to air before... and presumably the football audience will follow the games to ESPN... so one could argue that moving Monday night games to ESPN could end up costing ABC money if they can't make money on whatever they air in its place!

On a related note... I assume that the MNF crew will stay with the move to ESPN, meaning that the ESPN crew that used to do the Sunday night games will be out of work unless NBC picks up some of them?

#11 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:53 AM

ABC was already losing money by airing MNF so I'd guess that the accountants were happy to see it go regardless of what they get to replace it. ESPN has the benefit of charging more for their network, meaning they can pay the NFL more for the rights. The NFL gets their money, ESPN gets a high-profile game, and the customers pay the bill.

#12 OFFLINE   dishking

dishking

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:57 AM

First..I don't know what the post about HD means, since both MNF and ESPN NFL games on Sunday have been in HD for a while.

Second, remember ESPN and ABC Sports are in the same Disney family. If ESPN can make MNF more profitable due to the subscriber base, and ABC manages to program Monday nights successfully for the non-sports fans, then this is a win-win for the company. This seems like a huge change historically, but for Disney, it's just an accounting switch.

#13 OFFLINE   lifterguy

lifterguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:59 AM

The ESPN deal for Monday night football really highlights the need for new regulations forcing multi-channel providers like Disney to "unbundle" their channels and allow cable and satellite distributors to make their own decisions about how they want to package and sell channels. ABC was losing money on the Monday games, and ESPN will be paying even more for the package. But analysts say the reason ESPN can afford to do that is because it get income from both advertising and cable & satellite TV subscribers. Unfortunately ESPN has also become the most expensive channel in the typical satellite/cable package, and almost every subscriber pays for it because Disney refuses to allow it to be moved out of basic packages of channels. Disney enforces this rule with threats of pulling this or other popular channels from any distributor that dares to defy them. Public anger at rising cable and satellite bills should be directed at content providers like Disney (which owns ESPN and ABC) who bid up the price for programming, while expecting all subscribers (not just those who watch ESPN) to foot the bill.

#14 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:10 AM

First..I don't know what the post about HD means, since both MNF and ESPN NFL games on Sunday have been in HD for a while....

Not all of us have had ESPN "for a while". ;) And our local ABC will not go HD until forced to (as well as CBS and FOX) so I have trained myself not to notice the "in HD where available" notes at the bottom. I, for one, will be very excited to watch MNF in WS. :grin:

(Someone ought to combine the two threads...)
Laverne

#15 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:02 PM

So, should I assume another rate increase will come from soon from DTV to pay for ESPN's ever escalating revenue demands from sattelite and cable providers?

#16 OFFLINE   ayalbaram

ayalbaram

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:23 PM

Does this mean ESPN will get the superbowl on cable???

#17 OFFLINE   james2006

james2006

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:53 PM

ESPN will not get the superbowl...NBC will have one SB in the next 6 years (according to the current deal)

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:26 AM

Second, remember ESPN and ABC Sports are in the same Disney family. If ESPN can make MNF more profitable due to the subscriber base, and ABC manages to program Monday nights successfully for the non-sports fans, then this is a win-win for the company. This seems like a huge change historically, but for Disney, it's just an accounting switch.

That's the part that confuses me the most... Since either way (ABC or ESPN) Disney is paying for it... I don't see why it matters where they air the MNF... the same company pays for it, so I would think they would want to air it where they have the biggest audience, so they can in turn charge the most for commercials.

Since whatever ESPN usually aired on Monday nights against ABC would lose to MNF... all I see is the reverse of this with ESPN now getting the viewers, but potentially less than on ABC since not everyone has cable/satellite... and then whatever ABC airs is likely to fail.

Think about it... ABC can't really make a mega-advertising venture into Monday night against its sister ESPN MNF... Disney isn't that inept, yet...

The move itself doesn't bother me because I have ESPN of course... but I feel for those who don't... I just can't make sense of the business side of things to see where Disney gains... Bottom line, they lose Sunday night games... paying more for Monday night which they already were losing money on... and are showing the games on the less-viewed ESPN channel... seems like a good way to lose more money to me!

#19 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:33 PM

NONE of the networks can make money from their NFL deals. All do it to draw attention to the network's other programming.

The difference between ESPN and ABC is that ABC has ONE revenue source. Ad sales. ESPN has two. Ads sales and your monthly DBS fees.

ESPN thus can pay more than ABC can for the same programming.

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:15 AM

NONE of the networks can make money from their NFL deals. All do it to draw attention to the network's other programming.

The difference between ESPN and ABC is that ABC has ONE revenue source. Ad sales. ESPN has two. Ads sales and your monthly DBS fees.

ESPN thus can pay more than ABC can for the same programming.

To be technically accurate... Both ESPN and ABC have one source of revenue... Disney!

Agreed, however, that most networks aren't raking it in... and use the NFL games to advertise their other programming... which makes the move to ESPN more confusing. If you already have ESPN in order to watch the game, then you know what's on... and are paying for it whether you watch or not... If you don't have ESPN, then you won't see the game or the promos... Whereas ABC has more potential to be watched, and to be "flipped by" from a casual viewer who has nothing but a TV and rabbit-ears.

It's one thing when ESPN had games in addition to ABC... but when it is instead of.. and now ABC has to go spend money to create a couple of new prime-time TV hours to air on Monday and compete with themselves for viewers... just doesn't make any business sense to me.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...