Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sunday & Monday Night Football Changes

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jrb531

jrb531

Icon

• Registered
  • 916 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 01:45 PM

The ESPN deal for Monday night football really highlights the need for new regulations forcing multi-channel providers like Disney to "unbundle" their channels and allow cable and satellite distributors to make their own decisions about how they want to package and sell channels. ABC was losing money on the Monday games, and ESPN will be paying even more for the package. But analysts say the reason ESPN can afford to do that is because it get income from both advertising and cable & satellite TV subscribers. Unfortunately ESPN has also become the most expensive channel in the typical satellite/cable package, and almost every subscriber pays for it because Disney refuses to allow it to be moved out of basic packages of channels. Disney enforces this rule with threats of pulling this or other popular channels from any distributor that dares to defy them. Public anger at rising cable and satellite bills should be directed at content providers like Disney (which owns ESPN and ABC) who bid up the price for programming, while expecting all subscribers (not just those who watch ESPN) to foot the bill.

If this allows us the choice of dropping ESPN then I'm all for it!

I wonder how much ESPN really costs us and how much the non-sports fans bills would go down if we were able to drop ESPN.

-JB

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:35 PM

I don't like the idea of the NFL having games on NBC and ABC on Sunday nights. NFL football is supposed to be primarily played on Sunday Afternoons. It is a time when most families are together for Sunday Dinner or whatever and usually families are together all day during the afternoons on Sundays. If you start having 2 games competing against one another for Sunday Night games. Fans may not get to see there game if they are driving home from grandma's house after Sunday Dinner. I am not in favor of this New NFL Deal At All. Keep NFL games on Sunday Afternoons and keep things like they are :nono2:

#23 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:10 AM

Umm, ESPN has had Sunday night NFL games for almost 20 years.

#24 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:26 AM

What I don't understand is why MNF would move to cable only. I know that most football fans probably have ESPN, so it's somewhat a non-issue, but still. MNF IS football, I would think you would want to broadest audience possible. I guess we'll see how things work out this fall with ratings.

#25 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,863 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:06 PM

For the confused folks...

Today: Monday Night football on ABC, Sunday night football on ESPN

In 2006: Monday Night football on ESPN, Sunday night football on NBC

The only thing that has changed is the networks carrying the programs... still one game on each night.

I haven't entirely understood the decision myself... It was one thing when ESPN and ABC were separate entities... but now being owned by the same parent corporation, it seems like Disney would want to air the game on the channel (ABC or ESPN) where it can get the most viewers... and since there are lots of OTA-only people, it seems like ABC is a more logical choice.

The ONLY thing I could see swaying their choice is IF they think they have a blockbuster ABC show they could put on Monday nights... but then they would be competing against ESPN (essentially fighting themselves for ratings)... so I don't get what is driving their decision.

#26 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 05:18 AM

Once again, the NFL is NOT about viewers. Everybody in America could watch and the broadcasters still would lose money. Each pays the NFL FAR FAR FAR more than it can ever hope to recoup from ad revenues.

ESPN will lose less money because you and I pay for ESPN, and do not really pay for ABC in the same manner.

#27 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,863 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 May 2005 - 05:51 AM

Once again, the NFL is NOT about viewers. Everybody in America could watch and the broadcasters still would lose money. Each pays the NFL FAR FAR FAR more than it can ever hope to recoup from ad revenues.

ESPN will lose less money because you and I pay for ESPN, and do not really pay for ABC in the same manner.

But Disney owns both ABC and ESPN... so at the end of the day one channel's profits can make up for the other one's losses... so again, it makes sense to put the games on the channel which potentially has the most viewers, because the more viewers watch MNF the more they can charge for the advertisements.

It simply doesn't make sense for Disney to put the game on a channel with lower viewership. You can't ignore the fact that the same company owns both ESPN and ABC for these scenarios.

#28 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:24 AM

One, I very much doubt that there is anybody that is the least bit interested in sports who does not have cable/DBS. While ESPN has a slightly lower potential audience than ABC, the "extra" viewers are basicly irrelevant, because they wouldn't watch the NFL anyway.

Two, you are quite correct that both networks' profits go into the same pot. That is why it makes sense to have all of the compelling content on ESPN, which people pay for. The more good programs on ESPN, the more you and I pay for it. The more good programs on ABC, the more good programs on ABC.

#29 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:44 AM

One, I very much doubt that there is anybody that is the least bit interested in sports who does not have cable/DBS. While ESPN has a slightly lower potential audience than ABC, the "extra" viewers are basicly irrelevant, because they wouldn't watch the NFL anyway....

Boy, are you way off. There are plenty of people whose only joy in sports-watching life is getting to watch MNF. I know; I used to be one of those people. It's called "poor", "low-income", "strapped", "hard-up". I'm sure ALL those "extra" viewers would very much resent you calling them "irrelevent". Whether you believe it or not, cable/DBS is a luxury.
Laverne

#30 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,863 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:17 PM

One, I very much doubt that there is anybody that is the least bit interested in sports who does not have cable/DBS. While ESPN has a slightly lower potential audience than ABC, the "extra" viewers are basicly irrelevant, because they wouldn't watch the NFL anyway.

There are lots of folks who can't get cable even if they want to... and some folks who still have difficulty getting a good satellite signal... then, as another person just mentioned, lots of folks for whom cable/satellite is simply a luxury they can't afford so they watch the free OTA channels only.

Intentionally cutting off access for a large potential audience never makes much sense to me, but I know businesses do it all the time.

Two, you are quite correct that both networks' profits go into the same pot. That is why it makes sense to have all of the compelling content on ESPN, which people pay for. The more good programs on ESPN, the more you and I pay for it. The more good programs on ABC, the more good programs on ABC.

You'd think, though, IF Disney was thinking as you suggest here... that they would have bid to keep the Sunday night broadcasts too... and had both Sunday & Monday night games on ESPN, instead of letting NBC have the Sunday night games.

I find it ironic, in this discussion... how big the drive from satellite is to have all the local markets covered, and how many people post in these forums saying that having local channels on satellite is a BIG factor in determining their choice of provider, and similarly people are watching both Dish & DirectTv to see how HD locals get carried and many people threaten to jump ship to the first company who puts their locals on satellite in HD.

BUT, if that were true... and since the satellite and cable companies do have to pay networks/local channels rebroadcast rights... then ABC, for instance, would need a more attractive lineup to keep their retransmission prices high too.

IF it were all about the money they can charge to the satellite/cable carrier... having MNF makes ABC a more attractive network to have doesn't it? Now what would be the compelling must-have TV that ABC would use to get its next price increase?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...