Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Legacy wing dish, really long coax

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rabiddbstalk

rabiddbstalk

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:46 PM

The dish 500 is a long run, the wing dish for th 148 is even longer yet. It uses an SW21 switch and 500 twin and a legacy dual on the 2nd dish. By the time the voltage gets to the legacy dual it's only 14.2 on an even transponder so I can only get odd transponders on the 148. I only need transponder 14 for locals. Is there a way to force it to even only?

I have any number of dishpro and dishpro plus equipment to install it with also. Is there a way to power up the DPP twin so the legacy receiver can use it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:10 PM

Can you run RG11 instead of RG6? That would help cut down on the voltage loss.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:52 PM

Is there any way you can install an SW64 nearer to the main dish? If you can get 24volts at the dish coming from the SW64's power inseter the SW64 can provide power to the LNBs and that should make it work fine. Otherwise, you could try to find a DBS style LNB that isn't voltage switched, but I don't know of any.

As for powering the DP+Twin, if you have a DP Power inserter that comes with the DP+44, check the output voltage at the D500 without the DP+44 and see if it has dropped to about 21volts. If it has, that may do it. I've never seen this don, but it may work. However, you may not be able to use that port.(should tho since DP uses a non voltage switching). Only other thing I can think of beside's Mark's suggestion for the RG11. Anyway, if you burn out the DP+Twin, you're out $32.50.

Or, you could try the DP+44 at the dish since it has power insertion. It should work as well, but more expensive. Remember, DP is limited to 200Ft runs of SOLID COPPER RG6. However, that works from the DP+44 switch so long as it gets enough power from the power inserter, you migh get away with 300-350ft.

Good luck!
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

#4 OFFLINE   rabiddbstalk

rabiddbstalk

Cool Member/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 11:12 AM

IOtherwise, you could try to find a DBS style LNB that isn't voltage switched, but I don't know of any.

That's an interesting idea. Didn't primestar use those? Any lnb that had to use two outputs - one for odd and one for even would work.

What I did to solve the problem was to use a dishpro adapter, DP twin, DP dual, and a DP21 switch.

I thought about how the DPP twin worked and it has to have a 19volt source to power the DP dual on the second dish (such as another DP receiver or power supply). I could run a second line out to the 500 dish just for power but that would involve actual work :D

This is the first time I've run into cable length issue. I've never hit the limits of Dishpro. I can tell you it's a lot more than 200 feet.

#5 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 01:55 PM

That's an interesting idea. Didn't primestar use those? Any lnb that had to use two outputs - one for odd and one for even would work.

Sorry, they were FSS (V/H polarization), not DSS (circular polarization). It DOES work for 105 or 121, though.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#6 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:04 PM

Like Simon pointed out, P* LNBS won't due DBS...However, I have forced a legacy LNB to lock at 18 volts just by using a power inserter like the SW44 uses and any 16-20volt power supply. Don't ask why.............. DBS was created with circular polariztion to make installation easier. FSS sats need to have the LNBs skewed, which is another reason I think that the SD's suck. You can't skew the FSS LNB without screwing up the 110/119. I've been known to install an SD(which is rare) and hook it to the existing D500. Now that we have the DP+ Twins, I plan on doing that if needed as well when it comes to the Dual Tuner boxes. I'll save the DP34s for other installs.
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...