Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What are the advantages of using a 4 channel modulator?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jbrettz

jbrettz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:03 AM

Can someone tell me the advantages of using a 4 channel modulator with 8 way power passive splitter to operate additional viewing choices. My installer recommended this if I wanted to have more options to view different sattelite recivers on the same TV. I have three receivers, 2-508 and 1-721, I plan on adding a additional receiver for my future hometheatrer room. I also will be adding some additional TV's in the basement, game room and workout room. I know Dish is now limiting each account to 6 receivers. The installer was trying to explain that using a modulator I could run the recievers through the modulator and then watch different receivers on different channels on my tv, this could be a way around having to have additional receivers for each TV.

Before I go back and have him explain this to me again, I thought someone here could give me some pointers or questions to ask him. Those additional receiver fee's start adding up. So I thought this sounds like a way around the additional receiver if they could be modulated.

He quoted me a cost of the 4 channel modulator with 8 way power passive splitter at $425.00 Which is a lot of money. Do you know where I can get some other quotes for this?

Thanks
Brett
St. Louis. MO

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:07 PM

I can try...

With the exception of the 322, 522, 625 and 942, all other Dish receivers output the coax signal on either channel 3 or channel 4. What a modulator will do is take that output signal and modulate it to another channel. So, if you've got 4 receivers, you can put together a system with the 4 channel modulator that will allow you to watch each of the receivers on 4 different channels on every television in the house. Obviously, the system requires all of the wiring and installation, but that's the gist. And $425 sounds like a decent deal, especially if the 4 channel modulator also sends stereo audio. The cheaper ones will only do mono audio.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:04 PM

What Mark said, with one exception. Modulators use the baseband audio (red/white) and video (yellow) connectors, not the channel 3/4 output. The is a product that uses the channel 3/4 output, but I wouldn't recommend that approach if you have access to the baseband signals.

I have several modulators that I got from various eBay sources. My home-run system currently modulates 3 receivers, two DVD players, a VCR and six security cameras. All those signals can be selected from any of my 14 (IIRC) TV's.

You should also consider modulators that do one or two channels instead of four. It's easy to combine their outputs using a signal "splitter/combiner." That's what's happening inside the 4-channel units.

I'd go to eBay and do a search for "rf channel modulators." Respected names in the field are, among others, "Channel Plus", "Channel Vision" and "Blonder Tongue". As Mark noted, stereo audio adds a lot to the price.
AllieVi

For good reason, I never criticize someone until I've walked a mile in their shoes. If they don't like what I say, what're they gonna' do? I'm a mile away. And they have no shoes!

#4 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:10 PM

Good simple answer Mark. Jbrettz remember that is a 1 time charge not $5/Mo continually being added to your bill, the fact your dealer suggested it means he knows what he is doing for the customer. You might find a cheaper price but will they know what they are doing and will it really cost you less?

#5 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:30 PM

Forgot to address the "8 way power passive splitter"...

You probably mean "8 way power splitter" - a combined amplifier and 8-way splitter in a single unit. Passive=UNpowered.

I'm very happy with mine (Channel Vision 8-way amplified splitter/combiner). Once again, check eBay for prices, but they're around $120.
AllieVi

For good reason, I never criticize someone until I've walked a mile in their shoes. If they don't like what I say, what're they gonna' do? I'm a mile away. And they have no shoes!

spam firewall