Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR522 connections? puzzling

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SF522

SF522

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:37 PM

Hi,
I have a dvr522 with two televisions one near the receiver and one upstairs.

1) TV1 -- tv connected to vcr. The vcr connected to dvr (all coax ) no rca nor s-vhs. THe vcr is unplugged for testing. It still works. I don't understand how this can be. If the tv is ONLY plugged in to the vcr, and the dvr hooks into the vcr only, why would this work?

2) Wouldn't the better connections be s-vhs (first if available) then rca 3 cables, then coax?

3) Upstairs tv with uhf pro---- no cable connected is this handled strictly by the wireless signal from dvr on a high #'d channel . It's set to cable channel 73.

4) Now with this logic, if I buy a laptop with usb2.0 external tv card. If I'm in the room with tv1, I could hook this to the back of the dvr tv1 with either rca or s-vhs and get same channel as on tv1. If I go into a separate room altogether, and set up the tv card to same channel as on tv2, I should get a wireless signal there as well, although probably same one as on tv2.

5) If one had more than 2 tv's , would the others pick up the same channel as tv2?

Much thanks for your comments on this.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:23 AM

A1: I'm thinking you have the 522 coax feeding the VCR, and it feeds the TV. When a VCR is powered down, the coax is a pass-through. Is that what you're seeing?

A2: Yes - both for input to and output from the VCR. You'll need to leave it plugged in of course, and the VCR's "tuner" set to the "video" or "Line" setting.

A3: The video signal from the 522 TV2 IS going somewhere via a wire - unless:
  • You've got a video sending/receiving set, and I would think if you did, you'd know it.
  • It's hooked to enough bare wire to be an antenna. This is ILLEGAL.
A4: See above.

A5: If the TV2 signal is being fed into the house's existing coax (if any), it can be watched from anywhere there's a wall jack.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#3 OFFLINE   the_bear

the_bear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:44 AM

A5: If the TV2 signal is being fed into the house's existing coax (if any), it can be watched from anywhere there's a wall jack.

I think this is more likely what happened. If you were previously a cable subscriber, all the TVs in the house would work without any “new” wires.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...