Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Advanced Program Guide (APG)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_logan5_*

Guest_logan5_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2002 - 03:08 PM

I wonder how many non-tivo or non-ultimate tv subs out there have the new APG (Advanced Program Guide). APG allows the viewer to scroll 7 days into the future guide while you will be able to continue viewing what you are watching in a window on the guide . My Hughes GAEBO has the APG, but i know for a fact that many of these executive gold boxes do NOT have the APG, but a older guide system called a MPG. Hughes claims all thier current boxes will be upgrade to the APG as soon as possible with a software patch, but i find this hard to believe. Since RCA thomson claims models such as DRD480 re will never get the APG even though they are upgradeable via satelite and you need to get a newer box such as drd435-485 RG. These thomson boxes are terrible, they are slow as hell. Directv in general seems to have a problem with their guide systems and really needs a overhaul to bring its customers the most up to date technology.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   timf

timf

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 June 2002 - 07:19 PM

I would believe what Hughes said. It's not whether or not a receiver has the ability to receive software upgrades, but most likely comes down to the amount of memory in the receivers. The RCA DRD480RE was developed well before the APG was released, so it likely lacks the memory needed for the APG. However, since the GAEBO/GCEBO line is brand new, they probably have everything needed to use the APG. It's just a matter of how long it will take to get the software ready.

#3 Guest_Nixon_*

Guest_Nixon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2002 - 11:08 PM

Logan ,you have a Hughes executive gold box with the advanced program guide , well your the only one who does. On the GCEB0 or the GAEB0 , the APG has NOT been released yet and its NOT in stores yet. Both the sony and the hughes have the same guide and its a mpg guide wich only keeps the channel view window open when your in the current time.The second you scroll to the right, you loose the picture . Logan, you must know people in high places to get a box that has not yet been released yet.

#4 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 05:39 AM

logan5 and Nixon.... welcome to dbstalk! I really hope you will consider registering... It doesn't cost anything, and we don't share your information with anyone.

Again, welcome!
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#5 Guest_ADent_*

Guest_ADent_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2002 - 02:45 AM

Originally posted by logan5
APG allows the viewer to scroll 7 days into the future guide while you will be able to continue viewing what you are watching in a window on the guide .

TiVo's version allows around 12 days.

spam firewall