Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need Wall fishing Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SouthernSky

SouthernSky

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:44 PM

Here is the situation:

An electrician pre-wired coax in a 2.4 million dollar home. Only. he didn't put a phone line or more than a single coax in the wall.

The customer wants TIVO, meaning, we need two wires and a phone line. (Wireless modems aren't recommended with TIVO).

After the electrician did his part, someone came an sprayed foam insulation in the holes beween floors. Then the insulation folks came in and put in interior insulation, and then the wall was drywalled. We suspect, but can't be sure, they may have tacked the coax in the walls.

So --- how would you get a new wire straight down through from the attic, through the second floor, to the first floor, WITHOUT going through the now-finished wall coverings on the drywall? Keep in mind, the original coax doesn't seem to want to move so you can't use it to pull back a new wire.

Thoughts and ideas welcome.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:15 PM

I assume you need to do this because the dish is (will be) located on/near the roof. Is it possible to locate it somewhere else so that it's not necessary to go through the second story? Is there a basement/crawl space where wire could be brought from a ground-mounted (see my avatar) location?
AllieVi

For good reason, I never criticize someone until I've walked a mile in their shoes. If they don't like what I say, what're they gonna' do? I'm a mile away. And they have no shoes!

#3 OFFLINE   BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:27 PM

With blasting dynamite? :shrug:

#4 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:41 PM

These are the kind of installations that I do every day. Without more information, I can only speculate. First, is this on an interior or exterior wall? Is the siding material vinyl, Hardie Plank, wood or brick, if it is an exterior wall. Is there a crawl space or a basement. In Lousiana, I would expect a slab. Is there enough headroom over the place in the attic, where you want to place thephone line and the drop?

First, I will describe the interior wall drop to the first floor.

First, remove the entire electrical box into which the original cable is threaded.

I'd drill a very small 1/4" pilot hole some 1-1/2 inches to the side of the current cable entrance hole. If you hit thin air, this is the side int which that you want to proceed. Then, using a 2-9/16 inch self feeding plumber/electrician's bit to cut a hole into the 2x4 top plate into the wall cavity. I'd use a very bright xenon flashlight like a Scorpion and look down into the cavity. If you see a firestop, you'd need to use a 6 foot long 3/4" flex bit like a Greenlee (Home Depot) to drill through it into the next cavity. Be sure it is spaced midway between the walls. If the cavity is empty to the floor, used the same bit with a five foot extension, drill through the floor plate 2x4 into the cavity between the floor and the ceiling and into the first floor wall cavity. Withdraw the bit back through the attic. Using 1/4" Greenlee extension rods (Home Depot). run the rods into the cavity until you reach the floor plate of the first floor. If you measured correctly, you will see the fiberglass rod in the wall cavity, through the electrical box hole.

Exterior walls can be handled easily, if you are working with vinyl siding. If this is so, please indicate that you want a discussion on that.

#5 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:27 AM

It may be cheaper to just move!
Mike

"I always wanted to be a scientist, and now I are one."

#6 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:38 AM

We run into this often. Idiot contractors. Homeowner thinks they had it done right.

Customer will have to pay a bunch of money to have this done, so ...

No matter what, he's gonna be pissed at someone - make sure it's not you.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#7 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 02:11 PM

I don't mind if they get it right. But, I get a lot of business doing wall fishes.

It's hard to know what the future developments are and what future cabling need are.

#8 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:45 AM

True - but any house pre-wired in the last 5-10 years that doesn't have multiple RG-6 homeruns was done by someone that was clueless.

#9 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:12 PM

Just did one, Thursday. Ran a dual cable from the attic to the basement. Only evidence of a wall fish was a blank 2x4" wall plate about 6 inches from the floor in a closet. There was even a firestop in the middle of the wall, which I penetrated with a 6 foot flex bit from the attic floor. I could have repaired the drywall, but the homeowner said it was no matter. I ran a five tuner install, including two 322s and a 311, using a DishPro twin, a DP34 cascaded with a dp21. Dual cables went to inwall plates on outside walls full of insulation. Backfeeds went to four secondary TVs.

spam firewall