Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Good News Voomers!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,181 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:33 AM

Charlie Ergen did it again!. He pulled a rabbit out of the hat.

In a stunning moov for die-hard voomers, DishNetwork will pick up 10 of VOOM's original programming channels. Specifically, Dish will add RUSH HD, Gallery HD, Rave HD, Ultra HD, Equator HD, Monsters HD, Animania HD, Majestic HD, HD News and Guy TV HD to its HD lineup. This will give DishNetwork's HD package, currently offering 5 + 2 channels of high-definition programming, a total of 15 + 2 channels as of May 1, with no duplication or overlap of programming

According to an earlier announcement by the network, VOOM is scheduled to go dark as of April 30, 2005

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   killah

killah

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:56 AM

Cool, I won't have to miss a minute of programming, my Dish guy comes out in a couple of hours.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:38 AM

I'm curious, for the lack of details, how they are going to do this... Way back when I got my Dish HD setup, they added a second dish for the 61.5 location... which is where Voom is now... so IF they add (or would that be keep) the new channels there, I'm set...

but new installs of Dish, may or may not be putting up a 61.5 dish for you unless you specifically ask/pay for it, since as of today there essentially isn't any programming on 61.5 after they moved most of the HD off to other satellites.

For ex-Voomers in particular, I think it would help you to know what the Dish plans are to make sure you do have a dish pointed in the right place on your installation date.

#4 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:02 PM

They have the channels at 61.5 and will mirror them to 148 for those on the west coast. It will be in MPEG-2 and I am thinking that the rest of the HD VoOm channels that they will add by next year will be in MPEG-4. This is probably the beginning of regular HD channel additions that we can expect to see. This is something that we can have until they go to MPEG-4 later.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,200 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:55 PM

Note: As these are E* carried channels you are invited to visit the E* forum to read more about it. More news is appearing there. Rancid speculation is available at another site. :D

JL

#6 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,181 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:15 AM

Note: As these are E* carried channels you are invited to visit the E* forum to read more about it. More news is appearing there. Rancid speculation is available at another site. :D

JL

Good point, JL. Other threads about the VOOM/DishNetwork deal are ongoing in the General Dish Network Discussion thread.

Also, there is a thread in General Discussion forum discussing the VOOM MOOV from an industry perspective. According to press releases, VOOM channels will also offered to other MVPs, such as cablecos.

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#7 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,181 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 06:47 AM

Pressing the VOOM button, final-day VOOM viewers now see this message:

VOOM's HD Channels Live On!

That's Right. Starting May 1, 2005, 10 VOOM Channels will
be carried on Dish Network, with plans to carry all 21 channels
in the future. To find out about Dish's great offer for
VOOM customers, CALL 1-800-969-HDTV today!

Also, VOOMers tuning to HD News on channel 100 will hear a self-news report
about the new VOOM/Dish deal.

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 07:01 PM

What will probably happen when VOOM shuts down their services for the night? (testcards?)
Do you DVR?

#9 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,181 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 04:08 AM

I have 10 VOOM HD channels on Dish.

It's over.

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#10 OFFLINE   f1_viewer

f1_viewer

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:00 AM

Just called Dishnetwork to find out what the deal was
and was told that i did not qualify as I had cancelled
my Dish account a year ago (actually exactly a year,
April 2004) and was considered an "existing customer" :confused:

I'm was dumbfounded, do they want my business or not??
Going to check out Comcast and DirecTV .............

#11 OFFLINE   wshaff

wshaff

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:07 AM

was gone for 4 months and got the test drive talk to former dish cust. csr

#12 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:41 PM

They have the channels at 61.5 and will mirror them to 148 for those on the west coast. It will be in MPEG-2 and I am thinking that the rest of the HD VoOm channels that they will add by next year will be in MPEG-4. This is probably the beginning of regular HD channel additions that we can expect to see. This is something that we can have until they go to MPEG-4 later.

If you want the "VOOM 10" today you have to be pointed at 61.5. All else is speculation. The VOOM Originals are being transmitted via Rainbow-1 @61.5 and are receivable on E* HD IRD'd only. SO if you never had a High Def. E* IRD before you made the switch to VOOM, you would need a 6000, 811, 921 or 942 before you can see these channels.

Your VOOM dish pointing at 61.5 will only work with E* gear if the rest of your E* LNB's and switches are LEGACY. If you have DP or DPP you will have to get a DP LNB for 61.5.

spam firewall