Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

So, how are your 721(s) doing?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SteveS_*

Guest_SteveS_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:22 AM

There was a flurry of posts after the 175 SW spool complaining of new problems with previously "pretty reliable" 721s.

I started a thread http://67.19.74.172/...ead.php?t=40737 relating my experience and a fix that I found worked on both my 721s. My 721s have been operating fine since then.

I haven't seen anyone post on this subject lately and wonder if your 721s have settled down also or are you still having problems?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:02 AM

I didn't have any problems with my 721 after 175 was released to it -- and still haven't had any since.

- John...

#3 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:06 AM

I have had about 3 instances of the "skip back" button not working properly since I have had my 721 (and I think 2 of those were prior to the release of 175). It seems that once I get away from the spot where it happened, I can again use "skip back" even on the same program.

I soft boot my receiver once a week and use standby mode every night when I'm finished.

No other glitches during the 10 months I have used a 721. I'm extremely pleased with it!! :D

#4 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:15 AM

I didn't experience any problems with the version 175 release and in the last year I have had only minor problem like the "skip back" problem that Charise reported. I haven't rebooted my receiver in months but I do put it in standby every night.
Bill R

#5 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:26 AM

Mine are doing ok, I also keep them in standby when not in use. Most of the problems I had were my fault, when I did have trouble.
KL

#6 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:35 AM

I have had about 3 instances of the "skip back" button not working properly since I have had my 721 (and I think 2 of those were prior to the release of 175). It seems that once I get away from the spot where it happened, I can again use "skip back" even on the same program.

This is the only problem I've had and it only seems to happen if I switch between manual FF and the "skip forward/back" buttons. I'm very happy with my 721!

#7 Guest_SteveS_*

Guest_SteveS_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:43 AM

As much as your posts are appreciated I'd like to keep this thread on point.

I know many of you 721 owners love your boxes, never have problems, and think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. There is no need to add to this thread that you love your 721 and never have a single problem. Your undying love of your 721s can be expressed in any other thread you care to start.

I'm interested in hearing from those 721 owners whose boxes were OK before the 175 spool and then had problems after it. Are you still having those problems or have they resolved themselves?

I'm trying to gain as much info as possible on this specific area of problems. Since I seem to have resolved my 175 induced problems I'm interested in learning if others with 175 SW induced problems are still experiencing them.

A simple question requiring only a simple answer.

#8 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:56 AM

I completely disagree. I think people that got the 175 upgrade that have 721s and did NOT have problems are important to be noted here. Otherwise, people start to think that ALL 721s have problems.

I posted here specifically to share that -- that 175 did NOT cause the problems on my 721 that some other experienced. It was just meant to add more data to the situation being discussed.

Yes, a simple question -- but forcing people that did NOT have problems after 175 to not reply with said information only causes more problems down the road.

- John...

#9 Guest_SteveS_*

Guest_SteveS_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2005 - 12:18 PM

I completely disagree.

And you have that right and can start your own thread asking any question or making any statement you choose.

In my thread I'm asking a specific question and would appreciate replies that address the question I asked. I don't care about the hundreds, thousands, or millions that don't have a 175 SW induced problem with their 721s. Their response does not address my question.

I am interested in the responses from people whose 721s were effected by the 175 SW spool. I want to know if those problems still effect their 721s or if the problems have disappeared.

#10 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 12:33 PM

And you have that right and can start your own thread asking any question or making any statement you choose.

True -- actually, I can do that in your thread too. You don't "own" this thread just because you created it. :rolleyes:

In my thread I'm asking a specific question and would appreciate replies that address the question I asked. I don't care about the hundreds, thousands, or millions that don't have a 175 SW induced problem with their 721s. Their response does not address my question.

You might not care, but others might. Plus, you were not clear in your original post. I did not KNOW, at the time, that you ONLY wanted to hear from people that WERE NOT having problems before 175 and WERE afterward. My original response was actually what I thought you would be interested in. It was not intentionally off-topic -- just so you know.

I am interested in the responses from people whose 721s were effected by the 175 SW spool. I want to know if those problems still effect their 721s or if the problems have disappeared.

Yes, that's fine. Good luck...

- John...

#11 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 12:49 PM

Sorry, SteveS, I posted because I've seen lots of complaints that 175 caused the problem with "skip back." I thought it important that people know I had seen that prior to 175, and 175 didn't increase the problem for me.

#12 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 01:34 PM

As much as your posts are appreciated I'd like to keep this thread on point.

I know many of you 721 owners love your boxes, never have problems, and think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. There is no need to add to this thread that you love your 721 and never have a single problem. Your undying love of your 721s can be expressed in any other thread you care to start.

I'm interested in hearing from those 721 owners whose boxes were OK before the 175 spool and then had problems after it. Are you still having those problems or have they resolved themselves?

I'm trying to gain as much info as possible on this specific area of problems. Since I seem to have resolved my 175 induced problems I'm interested in learning if others with 175 SW induced problems are still experiencing them.

A simple question requiring only a simple answer.

Your subject isn't that specific.. if you want to hear from complainers only, you need to reword the subject. However..

You don't get to be the traffic cop here. Forum rules apply - end of story.

And BTW.. my 721 has never had any trouble in the several years that I have owned it.
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#13 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 02:01 PM

Steve S - Two of the responses were right on point to what you asked and two said they had no problems before you posted your "clarification" point. Myself and Charise expressed a similar problem. I think your subject is NOT specific at all and the responses you got were reasonably on point.

#14 Guest_SteveS_*

Guest_SteveS_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:21 PM

Your subject isn't that specific.. if you want to hear from complainers only, you need to reword the subject. However..

Apparently my subject was not as specific as I intended it to be. My mistake.

I don't consider people who pay for a product or service and don't get what they pay for and want something done about it "COMPLAINERS". I do consider people who pay for a service or product and accept less than they paid for fools that have more money than sense.

You don't get to be the traffic cop here.

Never intended to be a traffic cop. You have too much fun doing it and your enforcement is way too selective for you to want to share.

I was seeking substantive information and not subjective opinion. Again, my mistake.

Forum rules apply - end of story

It's your ball and since I'm not one of the "in crowd" here I fully expect the rude and inconsiderate treatment I see many of the "favored ones" in this forum heap upon those who don't agree.

It's becoming more and more clear to me that DBSTalk relishes it's "back door" relationship with Dish Network more than the people who support the forum. Rather than support Dish customers who have real and legitimate problems with Dish you support your DBSTalk SS troops labeling them crazy and unreasonable and complainers.

DBSTalk.com is becoming more part of the problem that it is part of the solution.

I'll play elsewhere.

And BTW.. my 721 has never had any trouble in the several years that I have owned it.

Never? Really?

#15 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:19 PM

It's becoming more and more clear to me that DBSTalk relishes it's "back door" relationship with Dish Network more than the people who support the forum. Rather than support Dish customers who have real and legitimate problems with Dish you support your DBSTalk SS troops labeling them crazy and unreasonable and complainers.

DBSTalk.com is becoming more part of the problem that it is part of the solution.

WOW! I don't always agree with the way things are run here but I think you are WAY out there in left field.

I think, for the most part, the administrators do a good job keeping things on an even keel and NEVER try to hide problems or stop people from posting about them.

What I don't understand is "all" you people that keep complaining about DISH's (or any other vendor's) service and yet remain customers. It seems to me that you would be happier if you switched to another vendor.
Bill R

#16 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:56 PM

Thread starter doesn't understand his own request. Then get upset. My 721 is working fine with the L175 after it had a hard drive crash.

#17 OFFLINE   rcwilcox

rcwilcox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:58 PM

I don't consider people who pay for a product or service and don't get what they pay for and want something done about it "COMPLAINERS". I do consider people who pay for a service or product and accept less than they paid for fools that have more money than sense.

[/B]

While my two 721's may not be perfect and while others may disagree with me, I do not consider myself a "fool with more money than I should have" for being happy with the overall product. I have a car and a truck that I am happy with. Do they do everything exactly like I would like them to? No. But I find them "acceptable and my 721's acceptable. I have studied all the available options and these 721's are the best for me. It may not be for someone else but it is the best choice for me. My goodness it is only TV.

#18 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:00 PM

I have not had any problems with my 721 lately.

#19 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:51 PM

Never intended to be a traffic cop. You have too much fun doing it and your enforcement is way too selective for you to want to share.

I was seeking substantive information and not subjective opinion. Again, my mistake.

It's your ball and since I'm not one of the "in crowd" here I fully expect the rude and inconsiderate treatment I see many of the "favored ones" in this forum heap upon those who don't agree.

I'll play elsewhere.

Never? Really?

Really... It is that stable.

Sounds like you want a E* sucks thread. just say so in your subject... as long as you stay inside the rules, you're ok.
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#20 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:27 PM

Steve S - you're right, you should go elsewhere. We'll stay at DBStalk...cya in a little while when you find there's nothing better out there.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...