Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is the Muti-Sport pak on Dish Worth it?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Grandpa Train

Grandpa Train

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:46 AM

I would like to get the pack..but will it be worth while. I keep hearing about all these blackout rules. Live in Alabama.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru and Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:54 AM

Welcome Grandpa Train.

Roll Tide or War Eagle?

The multi-sports pack is great for college sports.

All major pro sports are blacked out (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS) unless a game is on your RSN.

#3 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:16 AM

Tis true that all pro sports are blacked out but if you like MLB and don't want to waste $$$ on MLBEI, the sports pack can be great. Almost every MLB game is longer than the three hour blackout. You can catch the final innings of at least one or two games nearly every night. Rain delays ensure that you'll see more innings. If FSN South is your RSN, you will get Braves, Hawks, etc. Of course, there are no Hawks fans anymore.

#4 OFFLINE   Hound

Hound

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:59 PM

I do not think it is worth it. I had it and canceled it after two weeks.
I canceled because of the professional sports blackouts. You can only
get professional sports games for your local regional sport network.
I do subscribe to MLB extra innings and NBA league pass which is worth
it if you like to watch professional baseball and basketball. Also, I live in
the Philadelphia sports region in New Jersey, but Comcast Philadelphia is not
available on satellite. Also, my local cable company, Patriot Media, does not
carry Comcast Philadelphia sportsnet, so I do not have a local regional sports
network. I was blacked out of every professional sports event on the Dish
Sports Pak.

#5 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:49 PM

Sure, it's an old thread, but here comes that list again...

What you get in the sports pack:

Professional sporting events:
Arena Football League
Major Indoor Soccer League
National Lacrosse League
Canadian Football League
National Basketball Association (only on NBA TV)
Major League Baseball (Spring Training)
Major League Baseball (partial games that run over scheduled time)
Classic replays (some)
Caribbean World Series
International soccer
Minor league hockey
Minor league baseball
Boxing
Billiards
Golf (a little RSN coverage)
Stock car racing
Pro wrestling

Amateur sporting events:
College football*
College men's basketball*
College women's basketball*
College baseball*
College softball
College hockey
College gymnastics
College track and field
College volleyball
High school football
High school basketball

Other:
Coaches' shows
Regional sports news shows
League/sport roundup shows
General sports discussion shows
Team reports
Pregame shows
Postgame shows
Horce racing highlights
Music (Altitude)
Cheerleading
Poker
Hunting shows
Fishing shows
Boating shows
Darts
Sports documentaries

PLUS lots of opportunities to time-shift Fox Sports Net filler:
Best Damn Sports Show Period
Behind the Glory

What you don't get:
Most major league professional sports events
Some college games

*The rule of thumb for what you don't get is that anything that's available as part of a PPV package will be blacked out on the RSNs. That includes all the major professional sports and some college sports, mainly in conference and tournament games.

And a big YMMV because the blackouts can change from year to year.

My advice is to go to an online TV listing service (I use Excite for this) and choose all the RSNs you'd get with the sports pack. Then browse around from day to day and see exactly what's on. Only you can decide whether it's worth the money to you.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#6 OFFLINE   jrbdmb

jrbdmb

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:22 AM

Near Mobile, AL the Sports Pack may get you Marlins and Devil Rays games in addition to the Braves. See http://www.baseballt...rr_2003-05-13_0.

For the rest of Alabama, see post above.

#7 OFFLINE   Hound

Hound

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:05 AM

If you subscribe to the America's Top 180, you already get Golf Channel, Outdoor Life, The Outdoor Channel, Speed Channel, Horse Racing TV, GOL TV, Fox Soccer Channel, 6 ESPN Channels and TV Games Network. America's Everything Pak includes all this plus NBA TV.
America's Top 120 includes 6 ESPN channels, Horse Racing TV, TV Games Network and Speed Channel.
The Multi Sport Pak only includes regional sports networks, where you are blacked out from
professional sports, and NBATV. NBATV is worth it, if you do not subscribe to NBA League Pass or America's Everything Pak and like professional basketball. The Multi Sports Pak
does not include Golf Channel, Fox Soccer, GOL TV, Horse Racing TV, Outdoor Life, The Outdoor Channel, Speed Channel and TV Games Network per Dish's website. It is just
regional sports networks and NBATV

#8 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:25 AM

If you subscribe to the America's Top 180, you already get Golf Channel, Outdoor Life, The Outdoor Channel, Speed Channel, Horse Racing TV, GOL TV, Fox Soccer Channel, 6 ESPN Channels and TV Games Network. America's Everything Pak includes all this plus NBA TV.
America's Top 120 includes 6 ESPN channels, Horse Racing TV, TV Games Network and Speed Channel.
The Multi Sport Pak only includes regional sports networks, where you are blacked out from
professional sports, and NBATV. NBATV is worth it, if you do not subscribe to NBA League Pass or America's Everything Pak and like professional basketball. The Multi Sports Pak
does not include Golf Channel, Fox Soccer, GOL TV, Horse Racing TV, Outdoor Life, The Outdoor Channel, Speed Channel and TV Games Network per Dish's website. It is just
regional sports networks and NBATV

What? The guy was asking about FSN not horse racing, or alternates, or fishing and hunting, and NBA TV costs $5/mth.
KL

#9 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:56 PM

The Multi Sport Pak only includes regional sports networks, where you are blacked out from professional sports, and NBATV.

Most professional sports are blacked out, but there are a few exceptions. See the list above.

But you're absolutely correct that the sports pack does not include The Golf Network. I'll correct that.

And KingLoop, what the original poster asked was simply if the sports pack was worth the money. He didn't mention RSNs or horse racing or anything else. I'm taking Hound's post to say that most Dish subs already get a lot of sports programming.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#10 OFFLINE   gib4500

gib4500

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:17 PM

i know in Ohio where i live without the sports pack i get the indians and reds. With the sports pack i also get the pirates. So sometimes with the sports pack you will get more teams coverage added if you have the sports pack. for me the sports pack is well worth it considering i get the extra fsn pittsburgh games and nba tv along with all the other baseball games that run over 3 hours. You would be suprised how many games run over 3 hours. For college sports if i remember right from last year you get about 1-3 extra division 1 college football games that don't get blacked out each week. but if they are on the gameplan package then they will probably be blacked out.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...