Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ok someone explain "signifigantly viewed" to me

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:30 AM

Here's my situation i'm one of those people who live halfway between two cities. So of course the cable companies in the area carry the locals from both cities. But because the FCC drew a line on the map I can only get locals from one city through my Dish and not necessarily the one I would chose if I could. I still haven't figured out why the cable company gets to play by one set of rules and Satellite another in this regard but anyway......I guess what I want to know is this potentially siginifigantly viewed thing going to help someone like me out? So if it's determined that people in my area also watch channels from the "other" city that we can't get locals from on our dishes will this allow Dish to offer me local channels from the other city? All I want is to be able to watch channels my neighbor's already do with their cable and antenna's, is that so wrong?!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:19 AM

Hello? A little help here. Anyone have any idea? Thanks!

#3 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:32 AM

First, what county do you reside in? The significantly viewed station list (which may go through a few more changes) is available from the FCC and determines SV stations by county of residence (although Dish Network and DirecTV are asking to be allowed to do so by zip instead). In a nutshell, the station must either be on the existing 1972 SV station list or prove that they hold at least 3% viewership in the out of market county in question, according to Nielsen ratings.

I can look at the 400+ page document and determine which stations could be made available by law once SV channels are added by satellite providers. Keep in mind that the new law only gives permission to sat providers to carry SV channels. It does not require that they carry them. That decision is up to each provider.

#4 ONLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:02 PM

First, what county do you reside in? The significantly viewed station list (which may go through a few more changes) is available from the FCC and determines SV stations by county of residence (although Dish Network and DirecTV are asking to be allowed to do so by zip instead). In a nutshell, the station must either be on the existing 1972 SV station list or prove that they hold at least 3% viewership in the out of market county in question, according to Nielsen ratings.

I can look at the 400+ page document and determine which stations could be made available by law once SV channels are added by satellite providers. Keep in mind that the new law only gives permission to sat providers to carry SV channels. It does not require that they carry them. That decision is up to each provider.

I live in Grant County. Where do I find the SV list from the FCC? Is it on their website?

#5 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:10 PM

http://hraunfoss.fcc...FCC-05-24A1.pdf

This is the entire FCC document on SV stations and policy. Your locals would probably be listed on page 135.

Below are the stations on the original list:
WTTV 4 Bloomington
WRTV 6 Indy
WISH 8 Indy
WTHR 13 Indy
WNDY 23 Marion
WTTK 29 Kokomo
WHMB 40 Indy
WXIN 59 Indy
WFFT 55 Fort Wayne

#6 ONLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro