Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Video splitter question...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,885 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 April 2005 - 01:38 PM

Any suggestions as to a video splitter that will allow me to input a S-Video signal and output either a S-Video or Composite signal? I want to divide up my signal from my DirecTiVo to several sources:

INPUT: DirecTiVo (S-Video, L/R audio)
OUTPUT: TV (S-Video, L/R audio)
OUTPUT: Computer for video/audio capture (S-Video, L/R Audio)
OUTPUT: Stereo (L/R Audio)
OUTPUT: VCR (Composite, L/R Audio)
OUTPUT: Future DVD-R recorder? (S-Video, L/R Audio)

Okay, maybe I can get away with just a S-Video splitter. Is Radio Shack's any good? Any suggestions?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 01:49 PM

Mark, I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with s-video distribution other than working in home theater installs for a year or two. I know that the products we used for this type of application was made by Genesis Cable Co. They are a high end cable and splitter manufacturer. This was about two years ago. I can ask around to a few of my former colleagues and find out what their suggestion is. The RS stuff is ok, but don't expect real great build quality. I would say if it is affordable, jump on it.
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

#3 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,463 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:35 AM

I've used S-Video splitters by Hosa with generally good results. Are you planning on outputting to several devices at once? If so, you might want to look into a distribution amplifier. The real hitch, as I see it, it your VCR and its need for composite input. You could use a dongle to convert S-Video to comoposite for that purpose, but you might be better served by just biting the bullet and getting a low priced DVD recorder.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#4 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:12 AM

I'm going to assume your computer erred and thought you meant "component" when you really typed "composite"...

A seller on eBay has a distribution amp that inputs s-video and/or composite. One in/four out. You'll find it on an eBay search for "s-video distribution." at the following link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ssPageName=WDVW

note - the complete link didn't want to appear here, so I had to break it into two parts - you'll have to piece them back together

Radio Shack has something similar. Check catalog #15-1172 on their web site.

Fixed broken link - Holtz
AllieVi

For good reason, I never criticize someone until I've walked a mile in their shoes. If they don't like what I say, what're they gonna' do? I'm a mile away. And they have no shoes!

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,885 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:50 AM

Nope, I meant composite. Component is Y/Pr/Pb.

Is the Radio Shack unit any good?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#6 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:30 PM

Nope, I meant composite. Component is Y/Pr/Pb.

Is the Radio Shack unit any good?

Now that I re-read your original post, I see that the word "component" was never used. I found and repaired the broken link between my eye and my brain... :)

I can't vouch for this particular Radio Shack item, but other amplifiers from them seem to work as well as any others.

A year or so ago I found lots of similar distribution amplifiers on eBay made by Audio Authority, apparently a high-end producer of such things.

Good luck.
AllieVi

For good reason, I never criticize someone until I've walked a mile in their shoes. If they don't like what I say, what're they gonna' do? I'm a mile away. And they have no shoes!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...