Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Lost 119 transponder 13 and 148 14 WIN $10!!!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rabiddbstalk

rabiddbstalk

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 07:42 AM

The customer had a Dish 300 and a 2700 receiver. I repointed it to the 148 and put in a Dish 500 with legacy 500 twin. They are connected with an SW21 switch. Check switch is fine.

Now the locals are pixilating and searching for signal all the time and so do channels on the the 119 T13 such as 107. It's strange but I put in different lnbs, switches, coax, dishpro stuff with an adapter, even a 3900 receiver - nothing makes a difference. Even if it repoint the old 300 dish to the 119 and hook it up like original, it will still do it on the 119 channels. I've also tried different spots for grounding it. If I unplug the receiver and plug it back in, it seems to work ok for about 3 minutes.

So to anyone with the solution goes $10 paypal! Hey I'm not rich :grin:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 09:52 AM

The tuner in the reciever is dying. That'd be my guess if you've replaced the LNBs and cable.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   rabiddbstalk

rabiddbstalk

Cool Member/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 06:05 PM

Well I thought it was the receiver until I put in a different one and it did the same thing.

#4 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 06:09 PM

Wow I like your style!!!

I wish more people would be willing to pay folks for advice :)

#5 OFFLINE   rabiddbstalk

rabiddbstalk

Cool Member/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 06:31 PM

Time is money and I've spent a lot of time on this problem!

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 06:46 PM

What was the other receiver that you put in place? I'd hazard a guess that that one is also dying.

OK, what is the signal strength of the transponders with the pixellating channels? Have you tried using an SW-64 switch?

Is the 3900 also the customer's receiver? Are both activated on his account? Maybe they both took a power surge from lightning or something.

Oh, another idea - are you running the coax between the receiver and the SW21 switch through a power strip surge protector? If so, I'd bet that's what the problem is.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#7 OFFLINE   rabiddbstalk

rabiddbstalk

Cool Member/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 09:07 PM

The other receiver was from a customer upgrade in another area. It was running two dish 300s and a sw21 to form a dish 500. I kind of laughed at the install as it was on a utility pole. It worked fine.

The signals are 119 13 @ 72 and the 148 14 @ 68. Some other transponders are lower and some are higher. Those don't have issues. The bad transponders sometimes have a hard time locking in the point dish screen.

No surge protector. There was a 6 out splitter in the outlet that might of been one but I don't know. I tried a different nearby outlet also. I've ran new coax from the dish via the front door just to eliminated any extra connections - no switches ect. The dishes are on the outside wall that the TV is near. All coax runs are very short.

I'll test the 3900 receiver at my house and get back to you. I'm willing to bet it works fine here.

#8 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 09:29 PM

If the 3900 works at your location, I'm fresh out of ideas at the moment.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#9 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:31 AM

Check your Line Of Sight.

BTW, for apples-to-apples comparisons, use TPs 11 & 12 for 110, 119, and 148 signal strengths. I forget what the other birds are - but 11 & 12 might not be right, there.

If you can't get 90's or above on 110/119 TPs 11 & 12 it's an aiming or LOS issue.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#10 OFFLINE   rabiddbstalk

rabiddbstalk

Cool Member/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 01:17 PM

Sorry to say but the 3900 works great at my place. It is interesting to point out that here it gets signals in the 80 and 90s. At the customers home it gets low 70s. Just to test the receiver I unpeaked my dish so that transponder 13 was right at 50. It still worked fine. All this was done with legacy gear like the customer has.

So what would cause low signal AND transponder interference. It seems like a nasty RF interference but that would be one hell of a coincidence to pop up right then.

#11 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 02:36 PM

Have you tried moving the Dish500 to a different location at the customer's place?
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#12 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:04 PM

Sounds like a cable problem. Try using an extention cord and hooking the receiver up nearer to the dish and see if it goes away.

If I happen to end up being right, send the $10 here to the site. Thanx.
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

#13 OFFLINE   rabiddbstalk

rabiddbstalk

Cool Member/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:35 AM

Have you tried moving the Dish500 to a different location at the customer's place?

That'll be my next try. I think I'll try bringing a stand and set it out away from the house.

Sounds like a cable problem. Try using an extention cord and hooking the receiver up nearer to the dish and see if it goes away.

If I happen to end up being right, send the $10 here to the site. Thanx.

Well I've ran a test line from the dish through the front door but I'll take an extension cord to try this.

#14 OFFLINE   rabiddbstalk

rabiddbstalk

Cool Member/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 07:46 PM

Well, I fixed it. I hope. I can't say wtf the problem was though. It just started working!!!

I got there today and the 119 T13 was just fine. Channels on it worked. The locals on 148 T14 still didn't work though. I was setting up the stand to try some testing and I connected my meter to the 500 twin for a base line reading and got nothing. I put it on 18 volts and got a strong signal. Very strange so I replaced the lnb. Weird because I had gone through several lnbs in the process and also because the receiver had no problem with it today. With that I got a better signal on the 119 but the locals of course still didn't work.

I pointed my stand dish at the 148 and ran a really long test line so if I needed to go around back to the electrical meter with it I could. I connected it to the receiver and it worked. Just for fun I reconnected the old dish and sure enough it's working too.

The best I can figure is a connection was just tweaked somewhere and in all the rearranging got working.

I half expect the customer to call back and say it went out again.

spam firewall