Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Audio/Video equipment in a closet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MrFooks

MrFooks

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 07:23 AM

Is there any reason why Audio/Video equipment cannot be installed in a closet, i.e. at the top of a hat/coat type small closet.
I would like to install a plasma over a new fireplace I am designing but have nowhere to install my 921, Denon receiver and dvd player.'
I'll install everything with infrared repeaters on it.
I don't think the ventilation or lack of is any different that being hidden away in a tv stand with glass doors on it.
Any opinions?

#2 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,440 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:39 AM

It's doable, but your Denon is probably a good heat generator. You really need good ventilation to protect the equipment. Although you may think a stand with glass doors doesn't have good ventilation, most stands have good sized holes at the top and bottom of the back in addition to air leakage around the glass doors. Think "chimney effect" -- heat rises.
If the closet has a fairly tight fitting door, you won't have any air circulation. Putting your equipment on the shelf at the top will allow for considerable heat buildup. You need a way for that heat to escape.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#3 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:06 PM

It's definitely doable. Have a chat with your local high end A/V store and they should be able to help you out. For example, Magnolia A/V in Seattle has a design center where they do custom installs like this all the time. They can develop a configuration for you, sell you the cooling/rack mount fixtures you need, or give you a turnkey solution.

I've got all of my components in custom enclosures mounted adjacent to my display. My Denon receiver has a thermostatically controlled fan (cost of a couple hundred bucks or so) that forces air down from above and the back of the enclosure has two fans that suck the hot air out. The toe kick in the bottom of the enclosure has a 1" X 19" wide slot that allows cool air to enter from the bottom.

System works well.

PM me if you want more details and I'll shoot you some pix.
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

spam firewall