Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A good DVD recorder to copy VHS video tapes?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mark22

mark22

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:51 AM

Please can anybody recommend me a good DVD recorder (for computer or by itself) to burn my home made VHS video tapes; around $300. What would be pro/con between computer DVD burner or separate DVD recorder? Thank you so much.
Edit/Delete Message

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:27 PM

I think that ANY dvd burner would be adequate for VHS tapes, including the cheapest one at Sam's club.
http://www.pepper.net/(my personal noncommercial site)
ViP622-DVR L445RBDD-N, DishHDGold+Mobile/Pcola_Locals+SkyAngel4Life
MRX1000 and Primestar oval dish on SG2100 for FTA

#3 OFFLINE   compubit

compubit

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:33 PM

I personally have 2 Panasonic Set-Top DVD recorders - a DMR-E50 and a DMR-E55. Both are Disc-only (no hard drive) - I record to DVD-RAM, copy the file to hard drive, then burn it from there to DVD-R (with my own menus). This works great with straight to disc videos with little or no editing (only trimming at the start or end).

If you need to edit the video, I'd look for a Set-top box with a hard drive in it (a la TiVo, but not necessarily TiVo). Panasonic makes several of these.

I tried the PC-based methods, but would run into Audio synch issues (only on PC-based - no audio issues on set top boxes), especially from VHS tapes, but you have better editing options on PC-based. For things I want to edit on the PC, I run through a DV camcorder and can edit down the to frame there - but you need lots of HD space, time and patience. Right now Target (at least in my area) has a Cyber-home Set-top DVD recorder for $129.

Check out http://www.avsforum.com/ for more info - select the "ALL FORUMS" link, then look under the DVD Recorders forum.

Hope this helps!

Jim

#4 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:36 PM

Take a look at DMR-ES30V (VCR/DVDR combo). I just got one for the Mother-in-Law. It is priced just at your price point. It got a 6.2 rating on cnet but if you read the review it got it for some of the shortcomings. Mainly having to do with no svideo output for the VCR.

I took a look around and most VCR/DVDR combo unit at the 300 dollar price point have shortcoming and none that I saw had great reviews.

Did a quick scan and found this thread. Might be helpful
http://www.avsforum....highlight=ES30V
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#5 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,435 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:08 AM

If you're planning on editing the content of the tapes when recording, then the PC route is the best way to go. I have two standalone DVD recorders: a Sanyo DVD+R DVD only unit and a Panasonic DVD-R/VCR combo. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. The nice thing about a combination unit is that most of them offer a one button dubbing capability, which makes for easy copying. I've also dubbed from my TiVo to my Sanyo DVD recorder, pausing the recorder to bypass segments I didn't want to record. It's cumbersome and doesn't always work out too well.
The manuals for both of my recorders are atrocious. It takes a good deal of reading to become proficient with the use of the recorders. OTOH, I've glanced at the manuals for a few cheap DVD only recorders by Emerson and ilo at Wal-Mart, and they're somewhat easier to follow. The ilo is apparently made by LiteOn, and seems to be a nice unit for less than $150.
Another thought: most of the lower priced DVD/VCR combos in the market use DVD-R media only. There are a few under $300 that record on DVD+R/RW (including one by RCA, and when you look at the $300 plus price range, you can find a lot of recorders that record on both DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

spam firewall