Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2nd half of the year promotions suck big time

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 10:09 AM

Nick,

Catherine Bell? I always thought you were a Bea Arthour type of guy. :D

(Ducking)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 10:21 AM

Another thread notes continued strength in DBS subscriber acquisitions with E* outpacing D*. So why not throttle back a bit on the giveaways and keep the margins up? Also, we don't know what the churn rate is on some of these deals.

As a longtime subscriber, I don't want to be subsidizing low ball installers who sign up new customers for a song (and without a credit card :rolleyes: ) who roll back to cable after the bill arrives.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#23 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 06:54 PM

Yeah, growth if the promotions continue to be good but since they want to give the new customers less, their return will be less, given that at the time that they predicted dish would outpace directv and that it would be continued strength was when dish had aggressive promotions, things can change when dish changes its promotion to not be as aggressive.

How is it against Dish's rules to give 35% of your commissions to the customer? We dont work for Dish, we work independently to ourselves and can set our own price for our products and service. Our competition keeps us in check most of the time.

#24 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 07:53 PM

Richard, that is one weird uuugly avatar you have there.

I am highly offended in that that picture was taken as a self portrait using the timer function on my digital camera. Trouble is the camera hasn't worked right since. Do you think I broke it? :lol:
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#25 OFFLINE   HTguy

HTguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 08:12 PM

Originally posted by jeffwtux
HTGuy:
I'm an independent retailer, and I give on average about 35% of my commission away back to my customers, which I might add is against the rules. Dish could if they wanted to revoke my license for doing so. However, I can only go so far. I won't make a sale unless I can provide a 2 receiver system with the 1 year average monthly payments for AT100+locals, with any install fees averaged in to the first year, for less than analog cable on 1 TV. I did that from March 25-May 1. Then 123 Great TV was just $149 for a 2 receiver system. I did it for just $50. With 123 Free, I have to charge $100, which would make the first year average month be about $41. I can't make a sale at that price. I wouldn't buy it at that price.

Far be it from me to criticise your philosophy or business practices but I'm unsure why you feel the need to provide a better service on 2 TVS for less than your cable co. does for 1. :shrug:

DBS subs, as a rule get more channels, more features & better service than cable for about the same price. That's why DBS is growing.

You don't have to run your business like a charity but, if you choose to do so, good for you. Just don't expect E* to do so even tho some of their promos have made it seem like they are. IF they go out of business we'll all be the losers.
"A DISH IN EVERY HOME"

#26 OFFLINE   jeffwtux

jeffwtux

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 12:40 AM

Basic cable doesn't charge per TV so unless you have a analog box, the charge for 1 TV is the charge for 5 TVs and of course that includes locals. That's why I have to beat their rate for 1 TV with my rate for 2 TVs. The fact is that satellite is, was, and will always be the second choice. If your city has a good cable deal, almost nobody has a satellite dish. Thus I have to beat the cable's price or what's the point. 90% of disgruntled cable viewers are angry about the price first.

#27 Guest_sean_m_*

Guest_sean_m_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2002 - 07:44 AM

While some cable companies may offer great signup deals, others do not. I was with comcast for awhile (while in an apartment, dish could have been done here but would have had to been inside) and there prices were reasonable, though no better than the satellites. You did get the locals though for the price.

Upon moving to an Adelphia serviced area (prior to their current bookkeeping problems) I called to inquire about pricing. Ridiculous!! Their overall pricing wasn't much more than sat for about the same programing but additional programing added up quicker than sat. If you wanted some additional channels that weren't in the basic services you may be forced to digital which adds further to the monthly cost and eliminates the choice of anything on any x number of tvs. In addition, even though the prior homeowner had adelphia here, they wanted to charge an additional $31.95 to check the cable run to the first tv. My decision was made. Sat.

Part of this debate depends on want your personal desires are though.

I have seen the 501 and really like what it can do. I am waiting on mine right now. To achieve the same thing in cable, or even in D* means I am going to have to pay an extra $12-$13 per month, or a onetime (additional fee of $250) for use of service. In addition, I am going to have to pay substantially more for the recording box itself. Add it all up and E* is the hands down winner.
The advantages I see in cable are: Analog service means as many tvs as you like. No dishes littering your house, automatically get the locals.

#28 OFFLINE   jeffwtux

jeffwtux

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 11:18 AM

Sean_M: your last line sums it up well. Fortunately, the majority only need 2 TVs, which means I don't have to do DHP. However, after Aug 1, Dish won't have a decent plan to satisfy those customers which are the bread and butter.

#29 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 11:20 PM

Yes but they may have a new promotion by the time August rolls around even though they are cancelling the current ones.

#30 OFFLINE   HTguy

HTguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Jacob S
Yes but they may have a new promotion by the time August rolls around even though they are cancelling the current ones.

My area rep told me last week that there would be a new promo to replace 1-2-3 for C&C custs.
"A DISH IN EVERY HOME"

#31 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 02:44 PM

Most of my customers dont have credit cards and the very few that do dont want to use them. I hope they have a new promo for non credit card customers because if they dont then there is not much hpe for my business since most of it is made up of people that dont have credit cards due to the fact that most people here dont have them or dont believe in them.

#32 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,211 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 July 2002 - 08:11 AM

Nick said: "Richard, that is one weird uuugly avatar you have there. Please revert back to the "Coming Soon..." default avatar until you can come up with something that resembles Catherine Bell on the cover of FMH mag. :lol:"

To which Rking401 replied:

"I am highly offended in that that picture was taken as a self portrait using the timer function on my digital camera. Trouble is the camera hasn't worked right since. Do you think I broke it? :lol:"

Absolutely amazing, Richard! I am honored to have my name emblazoned upon Cathy Bell's countenance. Your talents far exceed our expectations of you. Keep off the grass. ;)

Nickster :cool:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#33 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 12 July 2002 - 03:13 PM

Looks like they took some advice and came out with the promotion for the rest of the year starting next month by coming out with a promotion that does reimburse for the system through programming credits without a credit card required, just as I had hoped for. I was just thinking why dont they give $12.50 increments per month for a year and thats just what they did after I had thought about it, not sure if I had posted the idea on any of the forums or not but was going to, its like they were reading my mind or something.

#34 OFFLINE   HTguy

HTguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 04:23 PM

Originally posted by HTguy

My area rep told me last week that there would be a new promo to replace 1-2-3 for C&C custs.

Toldja so! :P

;)
"A DISH IN EVERY HOME"

spam firewall