Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

LCD Flat Panel TV & PC setup: VGA to DVI Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:12 PM

Can I use a VGA to DVI adapter in the following setup/application?

I am researching a 30" to 40" LCD flat panel TV for my employer that is going to be connected remotely to a PC (via cable locally and eventually via our network to two other remote locations). Mind you, I am not a techie/geek. I am in employee communications and our department wants to use this setup to pilot a program to broadcast important text/visual bulletins for our customer care department. Also, we want to be able to present PowerPoint slide shows and video with audio, like AVI/Windows Media files - - DVD presentations are not necessary but would be nice in the future. We already have the software in-house that's based on/uses Macromedia. We are not going to use this setup to broadcast commercial TV like DBS, cable or over the air signals.

Our corporate office has running such a setup with one PC and a 37" Sharp Aquos TV with a VGA input. The problem is cost. This Sharp unit costs about $4K. I have found a Polaroid brand 37" LCD set for $2100 but it only has DVI input. We have about $6K tops to spend and we have to leave enough money for a vendor to come in and to the install, cabling, and possibly hire an electrician.

Just about all LCD sets I've looked at have DVI inputs, but our PCs don't; they have VGA connectors. However, I have found a few LCDs that do have VGA connectors, so I could avoid the VGA to DVI adapter completely and recommend an LCD with a VGA input.

I'm looking to hear what kind of drawbacks, if any, we could expect in this setup. Thanks!

Follow-up Question: How many years of use could we anticipate if we went with a plasma screen? This unit will be on 8 - 12 hours a day, 5 days a week (not on weekends). We also would have the capability of running a screensaver during the day, but the image will be changing constantly so burn-in shouldn't be a probelm. Some of the LCD sets have a half life of 50,000 to 60,000 hours. In our setup, could we expect the same from a plasma but only operating for a measured time each day?

#2 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:58 PM

Chris, what you might want to look at is one of the Samsung DLPs. I've got one of the large size sets, but it has separate inputs for PC, DVI, S-Video, Components and I would expect their smaller sets to provide similar flexibility. Their web site should have the info. you need. These sets are very cool. You'll have a bulb to replace every few hundred hours, but that should be about it.

Good luck! John
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

spam firewall