Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How good is HD?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sbturner

sbturner

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:47 PM

It may be a stupid question, but I have new Samsung 46" DLP and just watched a couple of DVDs that were anamorphic widescreen, no black bars, and they looked great. I have a 942 on order will HD really blow me away?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:49 PM

Maybe for a month and then after that HD will become the new standard to your eyes and you'll just be "used" to it. But anything less will start to tick you off ;)

#3 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:32 AM

The best way I can describe good HD (and transfers can differ and sometimes it depends on the source) is like you're looking through a window. This is especailly true of sports--you'd think you had a presidential box seat.
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,245 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:47 AM

After more than a year, I still get a kick from HD.

SD has been ticking me off for years because of the compression.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:23 AM

I concur with Nick 110%, HD is unbelievable! It has ruined me. I really get mad when a show I really want to watch comes on in SD instead of HD. Once you go HD, you never want to go back! OTA HD is da bomb. :D
I'm back! Needed more than 1 HD feed.

#6 OFFLINE   pmsmith66

pmsmith66

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:41 AM

I'm new to HD but what I've seen in the past week+ has been outstanding. Take your best quality DVD viewing experience and up it from there. I have a 56" Samsung DLP and it's just amazing. I find myself watching stuff I would have never had the interest to watch simply because of the experience. Only drawback is that SD material has become relatively more painful to watch. Although, to be fair, the 942 seems to produce a superior SD picture when compared to my 510 or 50x's. I'm finding that, although I have the Everything Pack, the poorer quality picture results in not wanting to watch it as often. I'll take that trade-off any day!

#7 OFFLINE   primo

primo

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:17 PM

" I have a 942 on order will HD really blow me away?"

In a word: Yes!

You will be amazed - I even find myself watching the HD Demo channel occassionally... just because it's amazing.

:grin:

--------
Legacy 4900 : P218CCJD-N / 14ABCCJD
DishPlayer - DVR 942 : L226MAED-N / 1110MAED
Dish Pro Plus Twin (110 & 119) + Dish Pro Single (61.5)

#8 OFFLINE   srbigbutt

srbigbutt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:31 PM

They only problem with HD is that it changes your viewing habbits. Instead of watching my usual shows I watch whateve I can find in HD!

#9 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 06:13 AM

HD rules. With all of our locals coming in HD over the OTA. We only usethe Sat locals for recording, dang we need more OTA tuners. There is such a big difference,, especially with NASCAR which I am starting to enjoy. The colors on the cars are beautiful and so much clearer , you can see the car and numbers all the way through the race,, and when they crank it up and boogity boogity boogity,, woohooo!!!. It makes the investment well worth it. The wife loves it during Colts football, the picture is awesome , even on zoomed out plays.

#10 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 09 May 2005 - 06:49 PM

Lets just say you will find yourself getting the balls to show off the Discovery Channel HD to your football buddies. :D

#11 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,435 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:39 AM

The WOW! effect of HDTV increases with screen size, particularly if you're viewing on a 16:9 receiver. On my 32" Sony 4:3 HD ready TV, it looks great. On a 42" or larger widescreen set, it looks phenomenal.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#12 OFFLINE   socceteer

socceteer

Icon

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:49 AM

Maybe for a month and then after that HD will become the new standard to your eyes and you'll just be "used" to it. But anything less will start to tick you off ;)

You are so right...! I agree.... It looks great at the beginning, with time you expect them all to be as good and when you do not get the quality, you get very upset.
DVR 622 , DVR 510, HDTV 811
Satelites: 110,119,148,129 Switch 44

#13 OFFLINE   cruzer

cruzer

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:13 PM

HD is the bomb! I was a Voomer and now have the 942, viewing on a 50"Fujitsu Plasma. I've been viewing HD since July and it never ceases to amaze me! Sports are great, but the majority of primetime local channels are also in HD. I normally wouldn't admit this, but watching the hotties last night on "Desperate House Wives" in HD was dreamy!

#14 OFFLINE   Hound

Hound

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:03 PM

After getting HDTV, I do not watch SD unless it is a sports
event not available in HD.

#15 OFFLINE   RLMesq

RLMesq

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 07:38 PM

There is such a big difference, especially with NASCAR which I am starting to enjoy.

I have a Dish 942 and a Panasonic PT-AE700U projector arriving next week. Unfortunately, Speed Channel is not HD, so I won't be able to watch MotoGP and AMA Superbike in eye-popping 100 diagonal inch glory. :mad:

#16 OFFLINE   bobmcl

bobmcl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:49 AM

What is a 942 Samsung? Please explain.

Thanks

#17 OFFLINE   sbturner

sbturner

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:39 PM

The 942 is the new Dish reciever.

#18 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,245 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 01 June 2005 - 04:14 PM

The 942 is a dual-tuner HD receiver.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#19 OFFLINE   rdopso

rdopso

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:46 PM

We have a new DishNetwork DVR 921 connected to a Denon AVR 3803 receiver and a 50-in Panasonic LCD TV (using all NHT speakers) and the sound and picture quality with HD and Dolby Digital 5.1 are absolutely incredible. At full 1080i one can stand a foot from the screen and its still like looking at a photograph. Too bad there is not all that much really good HD available at this time -- but go out and get HD anyway -- you won't regret it if you get the right equipment.

#20 OFFLINE   TonyB

TonyB

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 03:52 AM

For those of you not old enough to remember, viewing HD programs is exactly what it was like back in the late 60's with color programming. Many programs were still B/W and the program would have to be definately worth watching for you to take the time to see it. However, if a program was in color, you would watch it, no matter how bad it was. Its the same now with HD. I find myself watching programs in HD that I would never have watched in SD.

I suppose in a couple more years it will settle back to the usual, as by then (hopefully) most programs will be HD.

By the way, I have a 57" Toshiba HD set - HD is awesome on it.
Dish 921 with L273HECD-N, boot 140B, flash F052
Toshiba 57" rear projection TV - model 57H81

spam firewall