Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How good is HD?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,236 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 04 June 2005 - 05:27 PM

HD is like sex, only it lasts longer and others can watch, too.. :D

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jurrie

jurrie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:43 PM

It may be a stupid question, but I have new Samsung 46" DLP and just watched a couple of DVDs that were anamorphic widescreen, no black bars, and they looked great. I have a 942 on order will HD really blow me away?

Watching DVDs on a 4:3 tube via composite/S-video connections and going to a 16:9 display using a component connection (preferably progressive with a decent processor in your DVD player) is an order of magnitude improvement.

Going from 16:9 480p/i to true HD is yet another order of magnitude improvement.

Once you get used to HD you'll refer to SD as LD - as in Low Def.

On top of that... even if your local OTA channels aren't HD but are digital you'll appreciate the nice clean signal.

#23 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:11 AM

I've had an HD projector with a 110" screen for 2 years now and I am still totally blown away whenever I watch HD on it. I never get used to it. Yes, it is the standard for me now as I watch very little SD, but I don't get used to HD. It's like Christmas everytime I turn it on.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#24 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:33 PM

I concur with Nick 110%, HD is unbelievable! It has ruined me. I really get mad when a show I really want to watch comes on in SD instead of HD. Once you go HD, you never want to go back! OTA HD is da bomb. :D

Couldn't agree more, and like Nick, I'm a pretty jaded old fart (or a jaded pretty old fart depending on your perspective). Visually, HD is simply a whole lot more interesting to watch.

John
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#25 OFFLINE   Radicalman

Radicalman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:57 PM

I simply cannot watch any sports now, unless it is in HD! (Nascar and Football for sure!)

spam firewall