Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Beware of What Your Extended Warranty DOESN'T Cover!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 06:50 AM

The bulb on my 40" Panasonic RPLCD blew yesterday. I noticed for about a week or so that the color was looking very washed out and then all of a sudden POP!

I purchased the extended warranty on both TV's and was told they cover everything. Imagine my suprise when I called the service number and was told "bulbs are not covered as they are considered consumables"!

The bulbs on these types of HDTV's run around $300! (they are user replaceable)

I called and spoke to the manager at Ultimate Electronics in Albuquerque who really went the extra mile. The salesman who sold us the TV's is long gone of course (almost 3 years now). He is going to order a bulb and have it sent out next week no charge as a gesture of good will.

I guess I should start looking now for a replacement bulb for the other TV!
Mike

"I always wanted to be a scientist, and now I are one."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:08 AM

. . . I called and spoke to the manager at Ultimate Electronics in Albuquerque who really went the extra mile. The salesman who sold us the TV's is long gone of course (almost 3 years now). He is going to order a bulb and have it sent out next week no charge as a gesture of good will.

I think most extended warrantees aren't good value, particularly on electronics. Other than mechanical parts and bulbs, if they are going to fail, they'll fail within 90 days or so.

And not to hijack the thread, but the manager's reaction is totally cool. It amazes me how often business people miss opportunities to create life-long customers through simple acts like this. I will pay more $$ initially on purchases to do business with companies that treat me the way I want to be treated. I've got an A/V shop in Seattle that I've been doing business with for over 35 years for that very reason.
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#3 OFFLINE   zubinh

zubinh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:20 AM

"Consumables are not covered" Thats the same terminology used in the circuit city terms and conditions.

I had the manager put in writing that lamp replacement is covered so I wouldnt have any problems
Living Room:61" Samsung DLP HLP6163W, Dish 942, & a Yamaha RX-V1500.
Basement: 65" Toshiba 65H84, Dish 811

#4 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:05 AM

This was the first (and probably last) extended warranty I'll ever purchase.
Mike

"I always wanted to be a scientist, and now I are one."

#5 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:22 AM

This was the first (and probably last) extended warranty I'll ever purchase.

Why not? It looks like it saved you $300 this time.
"But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to."
Peter Green - Fleetwood Mac

Protected By... spam firewall...And...