Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

PVR Shootout

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2002 - 07:22 PM

It's been 30 years since the introduction of the VCR, but only recently have we seen another device that can change the way we watch TV. The personal video recorder, or PVR, is the result of several technologies converging to become more than the sum of their parts.

The first PVRs, introduced under the brand names TiVo and ReplayTV, took advantage of the latest video-encoding standards and the increasingly spacious hard drives flooding the market. Microsoft later entered the PVR arena with UltimateTV, which supported the recording of two channels simultaneously.

MORE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2002 - 10:19 PM

Not a lot of information most people don't already know, but I did notice an omission - the Dish PVR 501 (ouch for E*).

They did forget to mention that the UTV has PIP capabilities and WebTV access, but most articles seem to be funded by Tivo, as most seem to view MS as the great Satan. That is their opinion, so it does not good to argue the point.

As an owner of two UTV units, I am very happy with the service and especially with PVR's in general. My main VCR broke about three months ago, but with UTV and my DVD player, I haven't even missed it.

spam firewall