Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

XBox 2, er... XBox 360 REVEALED!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:50 AM

http://www.canada.co...4e-84756ca02044

Aargh. Another sleek black box in my component stack is about to get goofy looking.

I like the wireless controllers (well the no wires part at least... I like my bulky old school controller (XBox Mag calls it the Duke)). WHITE????? Blech. Ya just know they will fade to a french vanilla beige over time like every other "white" PC I've had.

At least they left me my hard drive as an addon. Unfortunately, most developers won't support something that is optional so I wonder if the hard disk will get as much use as the Original XBox got.

Last mystery remaining...... will it be reverse compatible? My guess is no, since nothing leaked out of the MTV taping touting that it would...... I guess we may have to wait until E3 next week for that official word......

Attached Thumbnails

• XBox 360.jpg

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:58 AM

http://www.chicagotr...ack=1&cset=true

And another story and another pic I found.........

Attached Thumbnails

• xbox360at2002.jpg

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:08 AM

... and a link to an ad Microsoft is using to ramp up the hype even more ....

http://64.191.55.6/v..._with_audio.mov

Note: Right click the above link and left click on Save As: to find a folder on your computer to save to so it can initialize the download of the file.......

I also replaced the link... this one loads much faster

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:13 AM

Whoa, here's some much better photos......

Attached Thumbnails

• ss_preview_Xbox360_1.jpg
  • ss_preview_Xbox360_2.jpg
  • ss_preview_xbox3601.jpg
  • ss_preview_xbox3602.jpg
  • ss_preview_xbox3603.jpg
  • ss_preview_xbox3604.jpg

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:21 AM

Hmmm. November is shown as the unofficial launch month (which fits as November 15th was the launch date in 2001 for the first XBox, with September 1st being the first date that most sites allowed preorders to start - look for the infamous "bundles" to come back as you are forced to buy 3 games, an extra controller, or some other accessories in order to get one of the first ones off the line. )

http://gamesradar.ms...bsectionid=1586

This article notes that the faceplate will be customizable so you can ditch the white if you hate the look (Yeah, I'll be doing that....... Gimme my black back - although if you want to give me a color shifting green neon (Xenon?) glow we can talk)

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:25 AM

One of the first games available is announced as well.....

Perfect Dark Zero.

You Nintendo 64 old schoolers will remember this one. At the time it was the best First person shooter (not named Goldeneye) for that platform.

http://gamesradar.ms...bsectionid=1586

Sorry about the post blitz, but I'm as psyched about this as I was for my first HD PVR, so I figured there were a few more like me out there who are interested in this. I'm psyched that some REAL HD videogames will be coming down the pike real soon.

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru and Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:43 PM

Short article from Business Week:

http://www.businessw...011.htm?chan=tc

A Sony PR hack has a zinger for Microsoft.

#8 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:46 PM

All you ever wanted to know about XBox 360.

http://xbox360.ign.com/

Debut MTV Thursday 9:30 Eastern.

#9 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:59 PM

What's the zinger? The article just seems to talk about how Microsoft came late to the current party (20 months after Sony), and how they are trying to return the favor to get a 1 year headstart on the next generation of hardware.

Unless I missed it.....

Sony should be REAL concerned. Apple stole their thunder (The IPod blew away their Walkman/Discman business), and now Microsoft is trying to do the same with XBox 360 vs. the PS3. Sony's bulletproof brand has been getting dinged pretty hard the last few years. Other than the successful PSP launch which hurts Nintendo's dominance in that market, they have had a tough time.

It will be interesting to see how many of these consoles Microsoft can produce. If they can sufficiently supply the channel for XMas 2005, they could get out to a real solid headstart. Also, the XBox will ship with a standard DVD drive. Sony is trying to put their BluRay drive (the next generation of HD DVD) in their unit, but announcements over the last month may preclude that, as it looks like HD DVD and BluRay may get together to come up with a unified next generation spec. Good news for us since it will avert a format war, but bad news for Sony as it will take 12-18 MORE months to hammer out the details of a unified format. This will force them to either delay the PS3 launch or go back to a standard DVD drive. (Or even worse, try to keep to the proprietary BluRay spec which might introduce compatibility problems with DVDs designed to work on the unified format's specs)

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:07 PM

All you ever wanted to know about XBox 360.

http://xbox360.ign.com/

Debut MTV Thursday 9:30 Eastern.

Thanks for the heads up on that site. Here's another photo which will be useful to us folks that have to make room in our component stacks...... It shows the dimensions of the old console as well as the new.......

Attached Thumbnails

• xbox-360-update-42505-20050425042458413.jpg

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:19 PM

The PR guy calling the XBOX 360 Xbox 1.5.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next 24 months.

Microsoft is taking a huge chance launching 9-12 months before Sony (remember Sega Dreamcast). If the PS3 is really all that the rumors claim, it could be a couple of steps above the XBox 360. Microsoft will either have to rush XBox 3 or hope they have moved enough units to keep software sales up.

Another big question mark is Nintendo's Revolution. Nintendo has stated they will launch when Sony does. Very little has been leaked about the Revolution other than it will change the way games are played. It will definitely be a make or break for Nintendo. They will either be a strong competitor or relegated to a niche player.

We will know a lot more about the PS3 & Revolution @ E3 next week. BTW, Sony scheduled their pre-E3 press conference 2 hours before Microsoft's.

#12 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:32 PM

OK. I went right by that comment about XBox 1.5......

Dreamcast failed because they didn't market it well and they didn't have enough games and programmer support at launch.

Microsoft is investing BILLIONS in this project as they see it as a beachhead into American living rooms for their "media center" technologies. If they add PVR and mp3 playing functionality they could blur the lines sufficiently and get casual gamers interested as well. This whole MTV stunt is a way to get a week's worth of press all to themselves before Sony can steal their thunder next week.

XBox hooked me with their optical TOSLink surround sound support and HDTV capabilities as well as the hard disk. Some said they were "overengineered" from the start (which is why they lost anywhere from $50-200 on each console sold during its lifespan), but I like setting the bar higher. BluRay support could be good as a way to jumpstart acceptance of HiDef DVDs, but their lack of a well implemented hard drive kept me away. Burnout 3 with my own music, blows away Sony's offering with the developer's choice of music (which was awful). XBox 360 will let you override the music soundtrack for ANY game (WAAAAYY cool... Imagine playing your own favorite music during Quake 4 instead of the minimalist Nine Inch Nails track (if it is similar to Quake 3).

Either way, the next 2 years WILL be fun............

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:04 AM

Just a program reminder...... MTV has the debut of the new platform tonight at 9:30..... My 921 will be workign overtime tonight with a double dose of Smallville in HD, the MTV show, and the NBC slate (thank God for distant waivers)

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 02:36 PM

I noticed something funny. Don't laugh, I only have Paint on my computer here.

Attached Thumbnails

• 360 on xbox.JPG

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#15 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 03:01 PM

Ya know, I noticed the same thing........ If they aren't backward compatible, that will probably be how it looks in my component stack. I'm out of inputs on my A/V Receiver (Who woulda thunk that 6 wouldn't be enough........ DVD, VCR, 921, GameCube, Laserdisc, XBox are already taking up slots (yes, I still use the laserdisc..... a bunch of old movies that haven't been released on DVD yet.... mostly Criterion Collection type discs.......).

I might have to kill the VCR connection and run it through by DVD Recorder if I have any old tapes to watch (assuming that Macrovision doesn't scramble the signal running it that way)

Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:52 PM

Wow. What a disappointment.

I don't know what kind of hype Microsoft was trying to create with MTV but that did nothing to make me want to go buy a XBOX 360.

I hope they do a better job next week at E3.

#17 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:48 AM

Yeah, that sucked. After the super bowl fiasco and now this, MTV is showing they have lost their ability to make something "cool". They waste 8 minutes on a band, 10 minutes on commercials, and a story about "professional gamers" playing a Perfect Dark Zero deathmatch that didn't show any of the screen. The capper was Fez from That 70's Show getting screen time as part of the team. Blecch. The blipvert preview of games was too quick and didn't show anything off..... They didn't show the controllers. the only thing interesting was the customization part which gave us a hint of the types of faceplates you can get to get rid of the icky Apple Wannabe White standard faceplate.

No mention of custom soundtracks, a hard release date, or anything of note other than the name officially being XBox 360 (Man, I hate that name.......).

I did get chills from the Samsung commercial with the Halo 2 theme playing and a tagline bragging about the XBox 360 having full HD gaming capability. THAT'S what has me interested along with expected continued ingame surround sound support.

Bring on E3!!!!

Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:12 AM

Let the hype war begin:

Nintendo released more info on Revolution yesterday.

http://cube.ign.com/...3/613340p1.html

HD Games, WI-FI out of the box, 3 DVD cases wide, & backwards compatible with the GameCube.

#19 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,357 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the heads up on that site. Here's another photo which will be useful to us folks that have to make room in our component stacks...... It shows the dimensions of the old console as well as the new.......

It has the front profile of a lite-days mini-pad.

The original X-Box "looka lika man". The new X-Box 'looka lika a girl'.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#20 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:24 AM

It has the front profile of a lite-days mini-pad.

The original X-Box "looka lika man". The new X-Box 'looka lika a girl'.

Thanks, Nick. I was thinking it and was wondering if anyone else was, too.
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

Protected By... spam firewall...And...