Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

XBox 2, er... XBox 360 REVEALED!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:37 PM

I agree that the MTV show was a waste (hmm. I've used that phrase a lot recently, they must be losing their touch), but I am looking forward to the leap in visual quality. This new unit will be on par with a good PC now, so games like Half Life 2 will shine.

cdru, there haven't been many HD games capable of 1080i due to hardware constraints (they tend not to run that smoothly). The only game I have that I know of that is 1080i is Dragon's Lair which is a cel shaded type game, and doesn't require as much processing power as some of the 3D engine based games.....

Even Halo 2 isn't true HD, contrary to popular opinion.

Yes, PCs have had the capability for years, but I haven't seen many 57" widescreen computer monitors lately, which explains my excitement at getting that on my TV.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,410 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:55 PM

"Over 256 audio channels"

First, two, then eight, now 256! :eek2: I'm running out of places to put speakers! :eek:

~ 13 Years on DBSTalk ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#28 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:27 PM

"Over 256 audio channels"

First, two, then eight, now 256! :eek2: I'm running out of places to put speakers! :eek:

It's the 256 lengths of speaker wire that will break you.......
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

Posted Image

#29 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:34 PM

Any word on estimated Price $$$? I'm happy with my XBOX and Would Like a new one when they come out!

#30 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:22 PM

The last one debuted at $299. I would expect close to the same. With the graphics processor they are including, some have estimated it would have an initial price of $499, but that would be suicide (Plus most initial preorder bundles of the original XBox pushed the $500 mark after the console, extra controllers, memory pak, and 3 games were included......)

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/default.htm

Another good link with more details

Posted Image

#31 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:23 PM

The other thing I've heard is that games will start to approach the $59.99 price point for some releases.... No big deal to me, but I know that will put some off........ If you really hate that, wait 6 months and it will be $39.99 or wait a year and it will be $19.99 for any given title

Posted Image

#32 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:15 PM

I've never been an avid gamer but I'd have no problem laying down $300 for a gaming system that would get a few hours of playing a week, preferably a Xbox, if not PS2, if the games weren’t so expensive. $50-$60 for the latest titles, first on the list would be the entire GTA series followed by the Halos.

The new Xbox looks horrible, yet another thank you to Apple and cell phone manufactures for turning electronics into fruity fashion accessories. :rolleyes:
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#33 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:07 PM

Amen, Steve. Once something is successful, everyone tries to mimic it..... Sony does well with their Wega TVs and now all of our components are silver. Blech.

One thing I saw that I don't like.... The hard drive is NOT built in. It is an "addon". Uh oh. Storage add ons have failed every time (Sega CD, PS2s hard drive, etc....). Well, at least I'll have custome soundtracks on all my games now. I'm guessing the drive will connect to one of the three usb ports.

Posted Image

#34 OFFLINE   John Walsh III

John Walsh III

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:52 PM

I too was underwelmed by the MTV special. I have to see much more to buy the new XBOX.
Hail to the Redskins!!!

#35 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:55 PM

No way will it be backwards compatible. Ever use a program called Virtual PC for Mac? That's what backwards compatibility would be like. Microsoft moved from an Intel-x86 platform (used by Windows XP on the desktop) to an IBM-PowerPC platform (used by MacOS X). Which many said wouldn't be likely, but remember Microsoft already has had Windows NT for PowerPC, they just had to update it for the Xbox 360, it's not a totally new product. (I'm assuming it'll be running Windows, remember that the Xbox just runs a customized version of Windows 2000)

#36 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:23 PM

Since they went with a standard DVD-ROM drive instead of HD DVD or BluRay, I can't see WHY they wouldn't be able to make it reverse compatible.

You're gonna have a LOT of ticked off Halo 2 players if you don't.

Posted Image

#37 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru and Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:42 PM

The other thing I've heard is that games will start to approach the $59.99 price point for some releases.... No big deal to me, but I know that will put some off........ If you really hate that, wait 6 months and it will be $39.99 or wait a year and it will be $19.99 for any given title

There have been some rumors on the game boards of some AAA next gen titles going for $59.99 and $69.99.

It had better be a kick ass game and not end in 15 hours for me to drop 60-70 for it.

#38 OFFLINE   John Walsh III

John Walsh III

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:18 PM

I agree with Scott. The MTV special was a letdown. I was excited for it when they showed a commercial for the next generation Madden. I will wait to see what the games look like to decide whether to buy one. I currently own, PS2,PS1,Dreamcast, SNES,NES.
Hail to the Redskins!!!

#39 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru and Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:20 PM

Just announced, XBOX 360 will be backwards compatible with "prior system's top-selling games".

Whatever that means.

#40 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:21 AM

I've heard pessimists say that that will mean only 20 or so titles. I think it means what the PS2 had to go through, that although MOST PS1 games would play on the PS2, there were a few that wouldn't run properly.....

The big problem are those games that used the hard disk heavily. As the hard drive is only an option on the 360, they will have to work on the memory cards or have access to the optional hard drive in order to work properly.

Posted Image

#41 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:22 AM

G4 had a two hour special last night on the PS3, X360, and Revolution press conferences. More shows start at 7 pm east coast tonight through Friday.

Wow, did they break out the good makeup for Morgan Webb. She looked model gorgeous last night.

Posted Image

#42 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:35 AM

I've heard pessimists say that that will mean only 20 or so titles. I think it means what the PS2 had to go through, that although MOST PS1 games would play on the PS2, there were a few that wouldn't run properly.....

The big problem are those games that used the hard disk heavily. As the hard drive is only an option on the 360, they will have to work on the memory cards or have access to the optional hard drive in order to work properly.

Everything I have seen at MS's official Xbox 360 page indicates that it will come with a 20 gig drive that is upgradable.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#43 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 10:29 AM

Yes, it looks like it is built into the side of the unit (I had visions of a separate box with a USB cable going to the front of the case).

I'm wondering if they will sell a stripped down version without the drive, which would be bad since they will have to dumb down the games to make sure they will run on the XBox 360 "Lite". Then again, if this IS standard it will be great, since we would most likely be able to upgrade the drives over the next few years if we fill them up.

The BIG question to me still remains the backwards compatibility issue. Any offical word on what they are promising here? The switch from Nvidia to ATI may wind up being the main hangup here as they will have to issue patches tfor all the games to get them to work, I'm guessing.......

Posted Image

#44 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:51 AM

No real word other than some "Top Titles" about compatibility. Iwas actually hoping a little more would come out during E3 but they pretty much got everything out right before.

As far as uprading a hard drive, that would be cool, but how would you do it? There is only one place to plug it in and the 360 certainly does not have the space to copy the entire drive into memory, then copy back? I would also assume that MS does not want these drives to be able to be put into a computer easily for hacking reasons so there may be some hardware limitations on that. I'm stumped unles there is some temporary cable or maybe you can use 2 xbox 360s?

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#45 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:20 AM

They referenced the "upgradable" hard drive during the E3 presentation. How they do this, I don't know, but those memory card slots could probably be used to transfer save files and the like.

Also, it looks like the hard drive WILL be standard after all, which will make sure that they don't have to dumb down games to make them run off the disk drive only like we feared.

Posted Image

Protected By... spam firewall...And...