Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

XBox 2, er... XBox 360 REVEALED!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:22 AM

G4 had a two hour special last night on the PS3, X360, and Revolution press conferences. More shows start at 7 pm east coast tonight through Friday.

Wow, did they break out the good makeup for Morgan Webb. She looked model gorgeous last night.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:35 AM

I've heard pessimists say that that will mean only 20 or so titles. I think it means what the PS2 had to go through, that although MOST PS1 games would play on the PS2, there were a few that wouldn't run properly.....

The big problem are those games that used the hard disk heavily. As the hard drive is only an option on the 360, they will have to work on the memory cards or have access to the optional hard drive in order to work properly.

Everything I have seen at MS's official Xbox 360 page indicates that it will come with a 20 gig drive that is upgradable.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#43 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 10:29 AM

Yes, it looks like it is built into the side of the unit (I had visions of a separate box with a USB cable going to the front of the case).

I'm wondering if they will sell a stripped down version without the drive, which would be bad since they will have to dumb down the games to make sure they will run on the XBox 360 "Lite". Then again, if this IS standard it will be great, since we would most likely be able to upgrade the drives over the next few years if we fill them up.

The BIG question to me still remains the backwards compatibility issue. Any offical word on what they are promising here? The switch from Nvidia to ATI may wind up being the main hangup here as they will have to issue patches tfor all the games to get them to work, I'm guessing.......
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

Posted Image

#44 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:51 AM

No real word other than some "Top Titles" about compatibility. Iwas actually hoping a little more would come out during E3 but they pretty much got everything out right before.

As far as uprading a hard drive, that would be cool, but how would you do it? There is only one place to plug it in and the 360 certainly does not have the space to copy the entire drive into memory, then copy back? I would also assume that MS does not want these drives to be able to be put into a computer easily for hacking reasons so there may be some hardware limitations on that. I'm stumped unles there is some temporary cable or maybe you can use 2 xbox 360s?

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#45 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:20 AM

They referenced the "upgradable" hard drive during the E3 presentation. How they do this, I don't know, but those memory card slots could probably be used to transfer save files and the like.

Also, it looks like the hard drive WILL be standard after all, which will make sure that they don't have to dumb down games to make them run off the disk drive only like we feared.

Posted Image

spam firewall