Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fox News Channel on Sky Angel!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wayne

Wayne

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:49 PM

The wait is over to see what channel replaces the Inspirational Network on Sky Angel. The Fox News Channel is now on Sky Angel channel #9718. In the following link they mention adding more general interest channels http://www.skyangel.com/fnc/ . Where is the space coming from to add more channels?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rcwilcox

rcwilcox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:56 PM

In the following link they mention adding more general interest channels http://www.skyangel.com/fnc/ . Where is the space coming from to add more channels?

That has been my question all along since they announced additional channels to come. Perhaps when E* gets the Voom transponders SA is going to get one of it's 6 leased transponders back from E*?

#3 OFFLINE   JeffH

JeffH

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:10 PM

You don't think INSP is the only "Christian" network to go do you?

Does Daystar go out of their way to promote Sky Angel? I don't think so. I predict they will be the next to go (good riddance in my opinion). Maybe a network such as Hallmark will replace Daystar.

I really appreciate TLN and also look forward to seeing CTN-live on Angel 1 :)

Jeff

#4 OFFLINE   rcwilcox

rcwilcox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:37 PM

You don't think INSP is the only "Christian" network to go do you?

Does Daystar go out of their way to promote Sky Angel? I don't think so. I predict they will be the next to go (good riddance in my opinion). Maybe a network such as Hallmark will replace Daystar.

I really appreciate TLN and also look forward to seeing CTN-live on Angel 1 :)

Jeff

Good point but I think they are considering several channels as an add on but we shall see.

#5 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:39 PM

The wait is over to see what channel replaces the Inspirational Network on Sky Angel. The Fox News Channel is now on Sky Angel channel #9718. In the following link they mention adding more general interest channels http://www.skyangel.com/fnc/ . Where is the space coming from to add more channels?

Well, so far no new space has been used. FOX News Channel is on Tp 32 where INSP was.

#6 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:36 PM

The wait is over to see what channel replaces the Inspirational Network on Sky Angel. The Fox News Channel is now on Sky Angel channel #9718. In the following link they mention adding more general interest channels http://www.skyangel.com/fnc/

Thanks for the link....

Hmm.. some Christian Channel Fox News IS then :D

The info at the FAQ (at the link above) says that Sky Angel has not changed the direction and "will always be to disciple the Church and to evangelize the unbeliever through the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ, and a large amount of the programming on Sky Angel is fulfilling that mission. But offering a mixture of news as well as wholesome family programming and channels along with Christian-inspirational channels and programming has always been part of the vision for Sky Angel." (hehe))))

INSP - some Inpiration, eh? ;)

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:49 PM

After forcing E* to drop Daystar, "EE", and Familynet, SA is now adding a "secular" channel?! :shrug: In my book this makes the non-compete "agreement" that SA and E* had (and litigated over) null and void. Or did all the hullaboo over Daystar etc. being on E* end upon Robert Johnson's death?

I'm going to look long and hard at the channels I watch on E*. I have TOP-120, and FNC is one of the channels I watch the most. Now that my RSN is available as an add-on to TOP-60, I may consider dropping down to TOP-60 plus the RSN. I'm a Sky Angel lifetime subscriber. SA may be saving me $$$ :) ;)

#8 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:28 PM

The agreement between E* and SA is more complicated than first thought here.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,332 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:37 PM

I hope to see more religious content on E* as well.

While we appreciate and still value half-hour news shows that air on some of the Sky Angel channels at different times throughout the day, ever since the tragic events of 9/11 and the war on terror, access to live and breaking news 24 hours a day is no longer being viewed as a luxury but rather a necessity.

Nice to see them react SO QUICKLY after 9-11. :rolleyes:

The satellite receiver used to receive Sky Angel programming has a special feature that enables viewers to block/pass code-protect access to any channel at their sole discretion. For detailed instructions, visit www.skyangel.com/blockchannels or consult your DISH User’s Guide that accompanied your DISH-brand satellite receiving system.

I didn't subscribe to SkyAngel to get secular networks that would NEED blocking.

JL

#10 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:39 AM

I didn't subscribe to SkyAngel to get secular networks that would NEED blocking.

Add to that the fact that whoever is providing the EPG data has constantly been "rating" the vintage 1940's & 50's movies carried on some SA channels "R" :mad: :nono: Nothing "R" rated should be carried, nothing is truely "R" rated, however if some had the filters truned on many programs whoud be blocked on SA. This has been going on for some time now and I don't see anything being done to fix this error.

#11 OFFLINE   RJS1111111

RJS1111111

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:40 PM

Add to that the fact that whoever is providing the EPG data has constantly been "rating" the vintage 1940's & 50's movies carried on some SA channels "R" :mad: :nono: Nothing "R" rated should be carried, nothing is truely "R" rated, however if some had the filters truned on many programs whoud be blocked on SA. This has been going on for some time now and I don't see anything being done to fix this error.

On the other side of the coin, there have been DISH "freeviews", totally FTA and with no ratings locks, showing some content that definitely should be rated "R". A Brazilian channel in particular comes to mind.:rolleyes:

It gets totally absurd sometimes. Have you noticed how Sci-Fi capriciously decides to give some Stargate showings an "R" rating, but not others?

#12 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:57 PM

The agreement between E* and SA is more complicated than first thought here.

See ya
Tony

O.K., then what was involved? One of the issues with the agreement did concern the addition of Christian channels on E* and Secular channels on SA. If I were Charlie I would not be too happy with SA over the addition of a mid-tier (i.e. TOP-120) "secular" channel?

#13 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:01 PM

On the other side of the coin, there have been DISH "freeviews", totally FTA and with no ratings locks, showing some content that definitely should be rated "R". A Brazilian channel in particular comes to mind.:rolleyes:

It gets totally absurd sometimes. Have you noticed how Sci-Fi capriciously decides to give some Stargate showings an "R" rating, but not others?

A few months ago there was a Polish channel freeview with no data available in the EPG. The "no Data" status garnered a "NR/AO" rating :eek2:

#14 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:05 PM

I did an A/B compairison of FNC using the PIP feature on my 921. The crawl at the bottom of the screen was full of atrifacts on the SA feed, but was clean on the E* feed. Another difference is the "avails" where MSO's can insert their own commercials & promos. I was able to see what FNC carries while E* shows what's on PPV :)

#15 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:32 AM

Fox news channel has no buisness being on sky angel because it is a dish channel., Period
Why is okay for sky angel to put a lawsuit out there to take off 3 christian channels from dish, but sky angel puts on a dish sub channel....
Not Smart.
THis is gonna spark some bad feelings with the channels that sa got removed.
Dumb Dumb Dumb,
If it wasnt for my life sub with sa i would have dropped them a long time ago....
Only good thing that has come from have sa is i dont have to put up an extra dish to get the voom hd......
its time to wake up and see it like it is
Hypocrasy( i dont care if its spelt wrong)
clark

#16 OFFLINE   rcwilcox

rcwilcox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:52 AM

Fox news channel has no buisness being on sky angel because it is a dish channel., Period
Why is okay for sky angel to put a lawsuit out there to take off 3 christian channels from dish, but sky angel puts on a dish sub channel....
Not Smart.
THis is gonna spark some bad feelings with the channels that sa got removed.
Dumb Dumb Dumb,
If it wasnt for my life sub with sa i would have dropped them a long time ago....
Only good thing that has come from have sa is i dont have to put up an extra dish to get the voom hd......
its time to wake up and see it like it is
Hypocrasy( i dont care if its spelt wrong)
clark

It isn't hypocrisy (or hypocrasy for that matter) if it meets the terms of their respective contracts. E*s problem was they violated their contract with SA, if SA is violating it's contract then E* will do something about it. Hypocrisy means saying one thing and doing something different.

#17 OFFLINE   RJS1111111

RJS1111111

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 02:57 PM

We don't know what agreement is currently in place between SA and DISH. We do know that DISH is still providing the SA uplink and the use of E3, and that SA in turn is still leasing six of its eight transponders back to DISH. Maybe DISH has agreed not to restrict SA to adding religious content only, with the condition that it stays scrambled and reaches the SA subscriber audience only (small potatoes by DISH standards). We just don't know the whole story.

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,332 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:25 PM

I don't mind a 'family pack' add on, but taking up space that should be a Christian TV network for a secular network is a waste of their transponder space.

Then again, if they add Hallmark and Goodlife TV it could be valuable! :D

JL

#19 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:33 PM

FOX News Channel is likely the best choice. among available sources, to fill a real world news void on the service.

#20 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:36 PM

Then again, if they add Hallmark and Goodlife TV it could be valuable! :D

JL

If you want to watch Combat, get the Encore Pak. :)

I you want to watch The FBI or 77 Sunset Strip get a 4DTV.

spam firewall