Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone have info on the 942s USB 2.0 Hard drive backup feature?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shanewalker

shanewalker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:39 AM

I was most impressed by this feature as it was discussed on this past Monday's "Tech Forum". The ability to have a 500GB usb 2.0 hard drive hooked up to the 942 upon which to offload/onload HD DVR recordings is fantastic imho. Really goes a long way to circumvent the elimination of firewire for archiving to D-VHS. I've only had my 942 for a couple of weeks and I'm already worrying about filling it up/erasing recordings to keep room.

So, anyone have further details...i.e. the approved HD list the guys talked about, or an estimated date when the feature will be activated via software update, etc.?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:49 AM

During the tech forum they indicated it was at least a couple months out. Sounds like a software release and a list of supported drives that you can then go buy and use.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:55 AM

This is still a little while off. The beginnings of the new features are in beta right now.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#4 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:59 AM

It sounded like the data sent out this port would be encrypted, and keyed to only play back on that particular receiver. I don't think you'll be able to make tapes or DVDs with the USB port.

On the other hand, they did say that this would support larger disk drives, so you could keep more stuff on disk, anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   shanewalker

shanewalker

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:05 PM

No, I understand the data is encrypted and tied to the reciever. Makes sense to me--keeps the MPAA happy, too. Makes sense to keep it AS data and leave tape/DVD out of the picture, too (less crud I have to store somewhere). Archiving to HD makes sense all around, we do it at my work with big graphics/edit jobs...that's why I'm excited about it.

BTW, Mark, where do I sign up...;)?

#6 OFFLINE   dparker

dparker

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:09 PM

I don't understand why they would make it only playback on the original receiver. This would be much more useful if I could play back recordings on any Dish receiver or the future Dishpod. I guess in the future when they have a Home Media Network it would be good to just attach extra storage as you need it and every TV will have access to it.

#7 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:59 PM

Sounds too good to be true to me. I'm thinking that if they figured they could force you to subscribe to locals to get guide data, and they require you to keep your 942 connected to a phone line to avoid a $5 outlet fee.....

I'm guessing they will detect you have a hard drive connected, and dial up on the phone to tell E* you have it, and then charge you $4/mo for it. They can't charge $5, otherwise people would just disconnect their phone lines.

#8 OFFLINE   Bichon

Bichon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:29 PM

I'd consider a really BAD design if it were tied to the receiver. Do you want to lose all archived recordings if your 942's hard drive crashes and Dish sends a replacement? How about when you upgrade to an MPEG4 capable DVR? I can understand engineering copy protection to prevent distribution of content to friends or for distribution on the Internet, but it's crucial that I can view my archived content on any 942 or replacement DVR that I legitimately own.

#9 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:51 PM

A better design might be to have a location in the receiver's memory for a customer ID#, that the CSR can write to when a box is activated.

Then the USB disk could be keyed to that ID#. That way, receivers could be replaced, but the key would still work with a newly activated box.

Is E* doing anything like that? Got me.

#10 OFFLINE   Phil Smith

Phil Smith

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:19 PM

Any new news on this?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...