Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Official July 8 Charlie Chat Discussion thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
101 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 29 June 2002 - 03:52 PM

Next Charlie Chat is July 8th on channel 101 and this is the place for discussion, comments and questions.

Don't forget to join us here in the DBSTalk.Com chat room for our exclusive Charlie Chat....CHAT beginning at 8:30 EST.

See you there!

http://chat.dbstalk.com

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 29 June 2002 - 05:13 PM

hey is there a way I can pay my monthly bill automatically? HAHAHA j/k :wave:

#3 ONLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,928 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 June 2002 - 06:05 PM

MERGER QUESTION: With the additional capacity that the merger will bring, will you provide additional West coast feeds of channels that provide them, such as SciFi Channel, Cartoon Network, and such?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#4 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 29 June 2002 - 08:05 PM

When will the 721 have Internet access available. :)

#5 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 29 June 2002 - 09:21 PM

When Thomson going to start getting involved? and no I dont mean by those RCA branded 301s RatShack has. I mean Bona fied Thomson hardware!
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#6 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 06:09 AM

Originally posted by SParker
hey is there a way I can pay my monthly bill automatically? HAHAHA j/k :wave:

Yeah I wondered that myself. It's such a pain having to write a check every month. Maybe they could have some way to do it by credit card. :D

#7 Guest_Ronaldo_*

Guest_Ronaldo_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2002 - 06:30 AM

Hey Chuck...when is the compression going to be reduced so we can get some decent PQ? Its a tough sell to show my friends how great DishNetwork is when the screen is pixelating constantly. At the last tech talk the E* engineer mentioned that PQ "might" improve for the AT100 when E*8 goes online. He didn't sound very confident or sure about the PQ improving. When will this issue be resolved? And don't tell me about the merger and additional bandwidth...blah...blah...blah...because the merger is pie in the sky stuff for now and looks less likely every day with Enron, WorldCON, Xerox, Martha Stewart/IMCLone, etc... Congress is not going to be eager to approve a huge corporate merger while creating a DBS monopoly at the same time.

Also, when are we going to get weather information similar to what the cable systems have for their subscribers? Channel 9500 isn't cutting it :(.

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 01 July 2002 - 11:36 AM

Is the DP keyboard compatible with the 721?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 11:45 AM

Nick I didn't try that yet, I will try tonight and report back.

#10 OFFLINE   psecic

psecic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Z'Loth
MERGER QUESTION: With the additional capacity that the merger will bring, will you provide additional West coast feeds of channels that provide them, such as SciFi Channel, Cartoon Network, and such?

What use would an west coast feed of Cartoon Network be?:rolling:

#11 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 04:04 PM

How many times will the word MERGER be used in tonight's chat?:D
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#12 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 05:11 PM

Originally posted by psecic

What use would an west coast feed of Cartoon Network be?:rolling:

My 5 ear old loves cartoon network, but here on the west coast that "adult swim" or soup or whatever it it starts pretty early. I'd like the west coast feed. Or why not drop the east coast feeds of some channels and replace them with west coast feeds??? :rolleyes: ;)
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#13 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,928 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 01 July 2002 - 08:42 PM

Originally posted by psecic
What use would an west coast feed of Cartoon Network be? :rolling:

Don't laugh. Dish provides both east and west coast feeds of both Disney and Nick channels. In addition, the "adult swim" programming, such as it is, takes place earlier in the evening on the west coast.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#14 ONLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 06:30 PM

I very seriously doubt that the dishplayer keyboard will be compatible with the 721 because their regular remote is not compatible with any of dish's other receivers so I dont think the keyboard is an exception.

I wonder if the dishplayer remotes are more reliable than the blue button dish remotes? I know that the keyboard for the 721 looked very very nice and won an award(s) but they charge extra for it.

#15 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 07:27 PM

Hey - that is better - a "stick up" thread for CHAT :)

anyone knows the date yet for next Tech or Retail Chats?
maybe they ll announce anything on that on July 8 Charlie's...
:)

#16 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 07:39 PM

Or why not drop the east coast feeds of some channels and replace them with west coast feeds

Actually Lee that has already happened. Soap Net on both D* and E* is the west coast feed.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#17 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 08:06 PM

Just tried the Dishplayer keyboard on the 721. It didn't do a dang thing. :D

#18 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 08:54 PM

Do those Dish DVD remotes people were talking about that they could get for $15 operate the Dish Network Satellite Receivers? If so do they operate the PVR functions as well?

#19 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 08:53 AM

Will non Open TV recivers be updated to show locals in their OTA position ? The January Charlie Chat mentioned an upgrade and did nots eem to indicate that it was only for SOME receivers.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#20 OFFLINE   Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP

Icon

• Registered
  • 844 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 12:09 PM

When will we get Dolby Digital on "Encore" and "Starz! Theater"? (Both station currently provide DD feeds if cable/sat companies want them).

-Lyle J.p.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...