Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Official July 8 Charlie Chat Discussion thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
101 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 05:06 PM

When will the 6000 8PSK module be free to us "poor" subs?
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   MediaMills

MediaMills

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 09:31 PM

Let's see if we can answer some questions early...

Welcome to the Charlie Chat!! We would report on some worthless news and show you some crappy videos but we wanted to get to news on the merger...write your congressman!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SParker
is there a way I can pay my monthly bill automatically? [/QUOTE]

Yes, use Credit Card AutoPay. Sure we sometimes over bill or skip your payment causing you to default but who cares, it's only your credit rating. Now here's some merger news...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Z'Loth
With the additional capacity that the merger will bring, will you provide additional West coast feeds of channels that provide them, such as SciFi Channel, Cartoon Network, and such? [/QUOTE]

We don't have the bandwidth to do that right now, so support the merger! Besides, that would make sense and we're against that.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
When will the 721 have Internet access available? [/QUOTE]

We just drop-shipped you a 721 and you want internet access? Call AOL and stop whining. Besides, after the merger is approved, we're going to buy AOL, but don't tell anyone!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steve Mehs
When Thomson going to start getting involved? and no I dont mean by those RCA branded 301s RatShack has. I mean Bona fied Thomson hardware! [/QUOTE]

Who's Thomson? A special-interest group?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ronaldo
When is the compression going to be reduced so we can get some decent PQ? [/QUOTE]

After the merger...roll the clip!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nick
Is the DP keyboard compatible with the 721? [/QUOTE]

Dr. Pepper makes computer hardware now?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by karl_f
How many times will the word MERGER be used in tonight's chat? [/QUOTE]

How many times do you want? We'll contact Arthur Andersen...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jacob S
Do those Dish DVD remotes people were talking about that they could get for $15 operate the Dish Network Satellite Receivers? If so do they operate the PVR functions as well? [/QUOTE]

That configuration is not supported. We recommend you use Pay-Per-View because it provides us a better profit margin. DVD is a fad and won't be around long...like DirecTV. Speaking of that, support the merger!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Geronimo
Will non Open TV recivers be updated to show locals in their OTA position ? [/QUOTE]

Ask the Tech-Chat. Besides what does that have to do with the merger?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lyle_JP
When will we get Dolby Digital on "Encore" and "Starz! Theater"? [/QUOTE]

That would take up more bandwidth that we don't have. We need to lauch EchoStar 8 and oh yea, the merger. Jim, roll the merger propaganda tape...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DarrellP
When will the 6000 8PSK module be free to us "poor" subs? [/QUOTE]

It's free with a $94 subscription to Discovery HD. More HD channels will become available after the merger.

Well, we are out of time. Don't forget to tune in to another extremely boring mind-numbing episode of the Charlie Chat!!!
Mediamills :hi:
spam@prmills.com (yes, it works!)

The problem with people today can be narrowed to two things:
1) Nobody pays attention
2) Nobody takes responsibility

#23 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 10:00 PM

:lol: That was good!
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#24 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 10:47 PM

Sad thing is, its probably true enough to be used as the actual recap.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#25 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,274 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 July 2002 - 06:25 AM

Media Mills - Great recap. Are you prescient or what?

Cool avatar too. What is it? :confused:

Nickster :cool:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#26 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 06:41 AM

:lol: :rolling: :rotfl: I just got done reading STXJims post.....now this......:lol: , you guys are cracking me up. Are you guys still drinking and smoking from yesterday? :lol:
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#27 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 06:55 AM

You saved me a lot of time. I can go out Monday night.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#28 OFFLINE   MediaMills

MediaMills

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Nick
Media Mills - Great recap. Are you prescient or what?

Cool avatar too. What is it? :confused:

It's the molecular configuration of Prozac...my favorite office tranquilizer! :bang:

1) Nobody pays attention

#29 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 10:19 AM

WHEN WILL THEY FIX THE DISHPLAYER?!?!?! Now that's a question that they need to answer!

#30 OFFLINE   Doug E

Doug E

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 12:22 PM

Originally posted by Chris Blount
Yeah I wondered that myself. It's such a pain having to write a check every month. Maybe they could have some way to do it by credit card. :D

:cool:

Two ways to pay bill....log on to dishnetwork.com and apply for auto payment by credit card....you may opt for one-time-only or every month. You still receive hard copy bill each month, and have plenty of time to challenge any charges before they are processed. OR you can call their 800 number and opt for credit card pay by using the automated phone system.

#31 OFFLINE   Doug E

Doug E

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 12:37 PM

Originally posted by MediaMills
Let's see if we can answer some questions early...

Welcome to the Charlie Chat!! We would report on some worthless news and show you some crappy videos but we wanted to get to news on the merger...write your congressman!!

Yes, use Credit Card AutoPay. Sure we sometimes over bill or skip your payment causing you to default but who cares, it's only your credit rating. Now here's some merger news...

We don't have the bandwidth to do that right now, so support the merger! Besides, that would make sense and we're against that.

We just drop-shipped you a 721 and you want internet access? Call AOL and stop whining. Besides, after the merger is approved, we're going to buy AOL, but don't tell anyone!

Who's Thomson? A special-interest group?

After the merger...roll the clip!!!

Dr. Pepper makes computer hardware now?

How many times do you want? We'll contact Arthur Andersen...

That configuration is not supported. We recommend you use Pay-Per-View because it provides us a better profit margin. DVD is a fad and won't be around long...like DirecTV. Speaking of that, support the merger!

Ask the Tech-Chat. Besides what does that have to do with the merger?

That would take up more bandwidth that we don't have. We need to lauch EchoStar 8 and oh yea, the merger. Jim, roll the merger propaganda tape...

It's free with a $94 subscription to Discovery HD. More HD channels will become available after the merger.

Well, we are out of time. Don't forget to tune in to another extremely boring mind-numbing episode of the Charlie Chat!!!

#32 OFFLINE   Doug E

Doug E

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 12:38 PM

Wow! Being very negative here. If not a happy camper, why not go back to the dark-age BUD C band?

#33 OFFLINE   AJ2086

AJ2086

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 12:49 PM

Well Charlie has been pro merger for like the last year now adn he has been neglecting the Dish Customers
AJ

XM Customer Since: 12/28/02
D* Customer Since: 2/6/03
Tivo User Since: 11/12/03

#34 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 12:51 PM

They even have a similar service that Primestar used to have in which you use a Primestar sized dish that is oval that is skewed like a dish 500 with two lnbf's picking up two satelites slots at the same time with a switch and it is a medium power satelite and gets most of the channels and I hear its cheaper than cable or Dish and Direct but not sure about the pricing. I know the hardware is a lot more expensive though. Its what Charter cable service uses in the Charter Everywhere service and they are getting VERY popular where I live because they dont have to pay any upfront costs, just for programming. Its called WSNET and I think they have another name for it too, like HITS or something like that, not sure. It is not C-band but Ku band like Primestar used and they probably use digicypher.

There's your alternative to Dish, DirecTv, and even C-band if you dont want to rotate a dish and dont want a big dish yet dont want the small dish service.

#35 OFFLINE   MediaMills

MediaMills

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 04:33 PM

Originally posted by Doug E
Wow! Being very negative here. If not a happy camper, why not go back to the dark-age BUD C band?

Nope, not negative. I want the merger. With a national pricing plan that would compete with cable, I would benefit with either more channels or better picture quality. The latter would be preferable... :D

1) Nobody pays attention

#36 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 09:28 PM

Why dont they also mention the service I had mentioned above as also being competition along with c-band, and cable?

#37 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 07 July 2002 - 02:37 PM

Hi all!

Back from the shores of North Carolina and ready for the Charlie Chat! But just like last month, the summary will come around midnight monday night. I have to shoot my own live call-in show at 8pm on an evil cable access channel! :-)

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#38 OFFLINE   kelliot

kelliot

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 July 2002 - 03:43 PM

I just want to know when DiscoveryHD will truly be up on 148.
Ken Elliott

#39 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 07 July 2002 - 03:45 PM

Originally posted by TNGTony
Hi all!

Back from the shores of North Carolina and ready for the Charlie Chat!

Welcome back Tony! Hope you had a great time.

#40 OFFLINE   JP-Cableguy

JP-Cableguy

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2002 - 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Jacob S
They even have a similar service that Primestar used to have in which you use a Primestar sized dish that is oval that is skewed like a dish 500 with two lnbf's picking up two satelites slots at the same time with a switch and it is a medium power satelite and gets most of the channels and I hear its cheaper than cable or Dish and Direct but not sure about the pricing. .... Its called WSNET and I think they have another name for it too, like HITS or something like that, not sure. It is not C-band but Ku band like Primestar used and they probably use digicypher.

HITS is a service that AT&T provides to Cable companies to add digital programming to their lineups. HITS=Headend In The Sky. HITS carries mostly digital tier programming (Discovery multiplex, FOX Sports multiplex, HBO/Cinemax/SHO/Starz multiplex, PPV, etc.) for cable companies to add to their system without putting in digital encoders for themselves. HITS was designed for SUPPLEMENTAL & SPECIAL INTEREST programming for cable. Their programming comes from KU band on Galaxy 4R and C-Band on Satcom C4.

WS/NET is sort of a quasi-competitor/quasi-friend of HITS. They have a lineup which almost mirrors DISH or Directv. They also parter with cable companies as their service can be put on a Cable TV system. The Cable company just puts on their local broadcast stations and they use the digital WSNET programming for everything else. WSNET's programming comes from Telstar 5 and Galaxy 4R.

Now, HITS and WS/NET are sort of in bed together with a service called HITS2HOME and WSNET Unwired. This is a service where the cable company puts a sattelite dish on your house for digital programming and their analog cable system gives you the local broadcast stations.

Both HITS and WSNET also have offerings to apartment complex owners and hotels, etc. where they can set up a mini-cable system inside their building.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...