Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DATA COLLECTION: Stuck Aspect Ratio

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Allen Noland

Allen Noland

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:02 AM

The problem is that there isn't a way I've found to reproduce the bug. I only get problem about once a week. If you get the problem often, please posts in as much detail as possible how your 921 is used the day of the problem.
Allen

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:56 AM

I use my 921 on an analog TV for now. My aspect ratio gets stuck about once avery two weeks. I find that if I get impatient (i.e. switching between Gray Bars, Letterbox, etc.) too fast eventually the aspect gets stuck. A front panel reboot usually fixes the issue for me.

I can't say if the same would hold true for those using the HD outputs (although I would not be surprised). With the 921 the key to sucess is patience, Patience, PATIENCE! :P

#3 OFFLINE   richardlazar

richardlazar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:11 PM

This happens to me often. I'll try to notice what triggers it, but I think it is when I switch from a HD OTA station to the guide and then select a non-wide screen sat. channel.

The only fix seems to be a hard power off and power on.

Richard
Boot Version 150B
Flash Version F053
SW Version L213HEED-N

#4 OFFLINE   bbomar

bbomar

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:24 AM

This happens to me often. I'll try to notice what triggers it, but I think it is when I switch from a HD OTA station to the guide and then select a non-wide screen sat. channel.

The only fix seems to be a hard power off and power on.

Richard
Boot Version 150B
Flash Version F053
SW Version L213HEED-N

This seems to have gotten worse on my 921. It seems that switching
from an HD channel (either OTA or satellite) can trigger the problem
where satellite and recorded programs are stuck in stretch mode.
Strangely, OTA channels are still correct.

#5 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:55 AM

Was watching Access Hollywood last night via the HEED 921. I was not doing anything to the unit and nothing was recording. As I was watching the screen went from 4:3 to 16:9. I grabbed the remote and found that the Format button didn't work. Had to reboot to fix.

#6 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:01 AM

I don't use the OTA tuner, but I still get this bug. I haven't discovered what triggers it, but it isn't just an OTA users issue. Once again, only a hard power reboot clears the bug.

Also, the vertical/horizontal custom positioning is also disabled by this bug

For those who don't realize, you can adjust the picture position on the second page of the preferences menu (click on the "More" button when you get to the preferences page). Move the position up or down to adjust the picture..... this is useful for those who use stretch or zoom modes and want to make sure you keep the ESPNNews or CNN ticker crawl at the bottom fully viewable. Ditto for the FoxSports score banners at the top of the screen on MLB games.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   jventre

jventre

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:24 AM

This seems to be happening more frequently. It used to happen about once a week, then stopped for a while and now happens more then ever. Yesterday it happened 2 twice. It only occurs when switching from an HD channel (OTA or sat provided) to a non-HD channel. My system always freezes in Strtetch mode. I;ve seen other that say they get stuck in ZOOM but I never have, only Stretch but the screen display still says NORMAL. It also only seems to happen after watching the HS channel for a while (>15 minutes). I have not seen it happen after viewing a recorded HD program but that doesn't mean it can't happen. From the posts I've read this problem has been occuring for over a year. Does DISH ever plan to fix it. Re-boot is a royal pain but it is the only way to correct it once it happens.

#8 OFFLINE   Allen Noland

Allen Noland

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 12:30 PM

Does DISH ever plan to fix it. Re-boot is a royal pain but it is the only way to correct it once it happens.

Yes, this is why I'm collecting information about the problem.

Has anyone noticed the picture getting stuck in 1/4 (preview) mode as well? I don't change my aspect ratio much so I don't notice the problem until I go to watch a DVR event and it stuck in 1/4 screen mode. If I go to the Display Setup screen, the picture will go full size.
Allen

#9 OFFLINE   Larry

Larry

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:00 PM

Yes, this is why I'm collecting information about the problem.

Has anyone noticed the picture getting stuck in 1/4 (preview) mode as well? I don't change my aspect ratio much so I don't notice the problem until I go to watch a DVR event and it stuck in 1/4 screen mode. If I go to the Display Setup screen, the picture will go full size.

Yes, it happened to me over the weekend. I thought to myself, "just when you think you've seen it all...". It happened when I turned on the 921, so I don't know what caused it. As I remember it seemed smaller than 1/4 size...probably a size in between the two different PIP sizes. A power reset cured it. I have a switched power strip next to my 921, so I usually power down anymore since it's usually faster than trying different fixes (as he throws up his hands in surrender).

#10 OFFLINE   djdj

djdj

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:16 AM

It seems this happens about the same time that the Page Up, Page Down, and SD/HD keys quit working on the remote too, at least for me. And the only solution I have found is a reboot.

#11 OFFLINE   jcord51

jcord51

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:39 AM

Same thing happens to me and is really annoying. I have to do a power button reset for it to work once more. :mad:

#12 OFFLINE   Allen Noland

Allen Noland

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:46 AM

How many of you are having this problem while running 720p? I had been running 1080i for the last few weeks wasn't having any problems. I switched to 720p the night before last and it came back with a vengeance.
Allen

#13 OFFLINE   bbomar

bbomar

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:55 AM

How many of you are having this problem while running 720p? I had been running 1080i for the last few weeks wasn't having any problems. I switched to 720p the night before last and it came back with a vengeance.

I am running 720p with a DVI output to an LCD TV. I need to reboot
more than once on some days to get out of stretch mode. Other than
this problem and the red dot going in the wrong box, I usually have no
problems with the 921. In 8 months I got only one ZSR and I record
OTA and satellite a few times every day.

#14 OFFLINE   Larry

Larry

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:57 AM

We seem to have morphed two problems into one thread. Are you referring to the stuck aspect problem or the preview window problem?

BTW, I'm using 1080i and got the preview window problem again. I was using the guide and when I cancelled out...nothing left but the preview window. No button presses seemed to do anything, except pressing "guide" brought back the guide for about a second...then back to the preview window. Yet another power reset. :nono2:

#15 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:25 PM

How many of you are having this problem while running 720p?

Running 720p on both 921's. Monitor is native 720p.

#16 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:33 PM

I have the stuck aspect problem, but I can't say how often as I rarely watch SD material. It is always fine in 720p.

-Chris
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#17 OFFLINE   Allen Noland

Allen Noland

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:43 PM

We seem to have morphed two problems into one thread. Are you referring to the stuck aspect problem or the preview window problem?

BTW, I'm using 1080i and got the preview window problem again. I was using the guide and when I cancelled out...nothing left but the preview window. No button presses seemed to do anything, except pressing "guide" brought back the guide for about a second...then back to the preview window. Yet another power reset. :nono2:

I don't get the aspect ratio problem until I get the stuck preview problem so I'm thinking it is the same root problem.
Allen

#18 OFFLINE   Larry

Larry

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:36 PM

Maybe so. Unfortunately, once I get the stuck preview window I have to reboot...so I am not able to see if the aspect ration is stuck or not. (I was watching HD OTA today when I went to the guide.) Next time the aspect ration is stuck, I'll try the guide to see if I can force the preview window problem.

#19 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:30 PM

I don't get the aspect ratio problem until I get the stuck preview problem so I'm thinking it is the same root problem.

I have 1080i and get stuck aspect frequently. I nave not had the stuck preview problem most of the time. I don't think they are related.

I was one of the first to post this problem. http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=36171 . I have often noticed that all sorts of other functions stop working once the stuck aspect problems occurs. Slower or no response to various other remote functions. I am fairly sure some process is running away and delaying other processes from occurring. I've seen other options such as bringing up the DVR recorded program list take 5 minutes after I requested it once this problem hits.

I've seen this problem occur the first thing I power up one of my two 921's. Presumably after a overnight reboot has occurred.

If I don't have a program recording, or that I feel I must watch, I now always force an immediate power button reboot to avoid all the problems I've seen in the past. Seem to keep my machines much healthier then it was at the worst.

At the worst I have rebooted 3 times in a single day. Then I have gone a couple weeks without a problem.

Whatever causes this may be triggered by a signal dependency. I frequently have both machines go out at not at the same exact time, but within a few hours of each other. If they still have no idea what causes this, then it may be important to record when this is occurring.

I don't think its HD/sd switching related, as I've had this while previously viewing SD channels and without switching to HD programs at all.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#20 OFFLINE   bbomar

bbomar

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:25 AM

I have 1080i and get stuck aspect frequently. I nave not had the stuck preview problem most of the time. I don't think they are related.

I switched from 720p to 1080i last week. For a couple of days the stuck
aspect was gone but now it is back, seemingly just as bad as when I
was using 720p. Last night I saw a new problem. The DVR menu would
not come up. The guide would come up and I could change channels
but the DVR menu just would not come up. A reboot was necessary.

spam firewall