Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

HDTV/Svideo question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rich_*

Guest_Rich_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:50 AM

All -
My dad has an apex hdtv monitor. Sometimes, when connecting s-video to the monitor, he gets a black and white (monochrome) picture. I cant figure this out for the life of me. My camcorder gives color pics from all jacks, dvd gives color on the front jacks only, and an old dish receiver didn't give color at all.

Anyone know what could be causing this? (besides the fact he bought apex)?

Thanks,

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   goodcableguy

goodcableguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:23 PM

The first question is what receiver are you using? There were some models with compatibility issues. I'm sure you know this but S-Video is not Hi Def.
Have a Great Day

#3 Guest_Rich_*

Guest_Rich_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:54 PM

Well - the HDTV receiver using the Pbybr is fine, its just the other video sources that have problems. Iwas wondering if there is something related to how a svideo signal is sent or something that may cause the monochrome pic. Like I stated earlier, my camcorder work in color on all of the svideo jacks, dvd on the front video jacks but not the 2 in back, and the dishnetwork receiver I just hooked up for fun to the svideo jack in front was an old 7100 dishplayer. I would think that the tv was totally screwy if my camcorder didn;'t give color from all of the svideo positions, but nothing else seems to work. He went ahead and bought a progressive scan dvd player and hooked it up to the 2nd set of Pbybr jacks since none of the svideo would give color.
I am sure this has something to do with the TV, I'm just not sure what the problem could be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:08 AM

If you have both S-Video (black) and composite (yellow) cables hooked up to the same input, the TV can get confused about which is hooked up, which can cause exactly the problem being described here.

The solution, if you are going to hook an S-Video source to a given input on the TV, is to simply remove the composite cable from that input, instead of leaving both of them hooked up simultaneously. This should (hopefully) alleviate the problem.

spam firewall