Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HELP! New Onkyo w/3 HD inputs?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,213 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:05 AM

I recently read/saw/heard something about a new Onkyo a/v receiver just out or coming out that has 3 component video inputs, and priced out at an affordable ~$300. I have searched Onkyo, CC and BB but haven't been able to find it or get the model #.

Anyone know about this new receiver? Thanks.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:49 PM

Nick: the least expensive three component input receiver I've seen from Onkyo is the TX-SR702, which is $799 at CC. I'm sure you already know that. I don't use the component inputs on my Onkyo HTIB, choosing instead to use the component and DVI inputs on my Sony TV. I get around the switching problem with a Harmony remote, which does all the device switching for me.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#3 OFFLINE   BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:57 PM

I recently read/saw/heard something about a new Onkyo a/v receiver just out or coming out that has 3 component video inputs, and priced out at an affordable ~$300. I have searched Onkyo, CC and BB but haven't been able to find it or get the model #.

Anyone know about this new receiver? Thanks.

I believe its the 503!! Goto Onkyo.com or CC i think has it..

Circut city http://www.circuitci...ication.do#tabs
3 HR23-700,1 R22-100, 2 AM21, 5LNB Slimline dish PREMIER NFL SUNDAY TICKET

#4 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:36 PM

Nick, haven't heard of one that cheap yet. Did you check the Integra site? Though the Onkyo Integras are not known to be that cheap.

Cholly, did you dump the HTM for a Harmony? How do you like it? PM me. Thx.

#5 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:42 PM

I have an Integra 9.1 which has the three component inputs but mine cost $2400 in 2001 (it had a $3200 list price at the time). It is real handy as I push my XBox, GameCube, and DVD through mine.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:48 PM

Circut city http://www.circuitci...ication.do#tabs

#7 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:57 PM

Not bad, a little low on power though. I guess that depends on your setup and room size though. Either way darn good price for 7.1 and 3 comp video.

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,213 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:28 PM

Something's wrong here...

- low customer rating avg. ~2.5 (out of 5)
- 3 reviews, none shown
- back connections very/exactly like 3-component in receiver I saw at CC today @ $499 (don't recall exact model #)
- specs for a given model listed on CC wesite sometime disagree with what's on shelf in store.

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   dfergie

dfergie

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:33 PM

Not bad, a little low on power though. I guess that depends on your setup and room size though. Either way darn good price for 7.1 and 3 comp video.

I've blown up 100 watt per channel Receivers... much less 75...

#10 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:37 PM

I've blown up 100 watt per channel Receivers... much less 75...

If you have done this in a home system there was either something wrong with the amplifier or what the amp was feeding.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#11 OFFLINE   dfergie

dfergie

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:28 PM

If you have done this in a home system there was either something wrong with the amplifier or what the amp was feeding.

Guilty as charged...:D feeding 200 watt rated JBL speakers... but same ohms rating etc...

#12 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:18 PM

Also, make sure there are no nicks in teh speaker wire which can cause a short (I had one fried this way.....)
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   RLMesq

RLMesq

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:09 PM

Something's wrong here...

- low customer rating avg. ~2.5 (out of 5)
- 3 reviews, none shown
- back connections very/exactly like 3-component in receiver I saw at CC today @ $499 (don't recall exact model #)
- specs for a given model listed on CC wesite sometime disagree with what's on shelf in store.

I think the 503 is a new model; perhaps not what's in the local store? Some of the other models with three component inputs also upconvert s-video and composite to component out, which the 503 does not.

I also didn't see any user reviews at all.

#14 OFFLINE   RLMesq

RLMesq

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:53 PM

Hey, how about this...

Denon AVR-1705 with three component inputs AND upconversion of s-video and composite, for $199 from eCost.

Sure, it's refurbished... but you'll probably want to replace it with a receiver with HDMI switching in a couple of years, anyway.

http://www.ecost.com...dpno~502640.asp

#15 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:19 PM

Guilty as charged...:D feeding 200 watt rated JBL speakers... but same ohms rating etc...

The wattage is not going to matter one bit as long as it is good clean power. I mean if you are using 50 watts of killer Sherwood receiver, yeah, it's gonna suck. Personally, I have a HK DPR1001 with 55x7 driving Wharfedale speakers rated at 300 watts each. I don't get horrendously loud volume at low levels, but its solid clean power that has no hiss or background noise. I had a JVC rated at 110x5 in one of my other rooms and though it could play loud, it sounded like shite when cranked. I can crank my HK to about 3/4 and it plays plenty loud and sweet.

On a sidenote, the Onks do really well with clean power. Just be careful as I've heard bad things about the Onkyo service dept aka turnaround times.
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

#16 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,213 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:27 PM

Well, I decided to get the Onkyo TX-SR502, which has two component ins, and sells for $269. Good reviews, too. Now that Voom is kaput, three in's is not so critical. I can use the 2nd HD in on the HDTV set if I ever get a game box.

Thanks for all the responses. You guys helped me get this sorted out.

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#17 OFFLINE   Tusk

Tusk

Back in the Game

• Gold Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:04 AM

Hey Nick,

Onecall.com has the receiver you are buying on special today for $199 with $24 shipping and the TXSR503B for $269. You might want to check it out. I have used them several times with great results. Bought my 57" HDTV from them 2 years ago.

#18 OFFLINE   Larry Caldwell

Larry Caldwell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:12 PM

The wattage is not going to matter one bit as long as it is good clean power. I mean if you are using 50 watts of killer Sherwood receiver, yeah, it's gonna suck. Personally, I have a HK DPR1001 with 55x7 driving Wharfedale speakers rated at 300 watts each. I don't get horrendously loud volume at low levels, but its solid clean power that has no hiss or background noise. I had a JVC rated at 110x5 in one of my other rooms and though it could play loud, it sounded like ****e when cranked. I can crank my HK to about 3/4 and it plays plenty loud and sweet.

On a sidenote, the Onks do really well with clean power. Just be careful as I've heard bad things about the Onkyo service dept aka turnaround times.

When you talk about wattage, you have to specify RMS or peak, or any number is meaningless. 55W x7 RMS is a respectable output. 55W peak is a KMart boom box.

I have an Onkyo 702 that has plenty of power for home use at 75Wx7, particularly since my speakers have a separately powered subwoofer. Interestingly, the volume control is very nonlinear. Most volume controls are logarithmic, which pretty closely matches the response human ear. The Onkyo is even more nonlinear than that. At a volume level of 30, it is nearly inaudible. A volume level of 60 is the loudest I have ever used, and that was for segments of a rock concert music video. For home theater use, I set the volume about 55. I suppose the scale goes to 100. I should put on earplugs and try it sometime.

#19 OFFLINE   BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:07 PM

When you talk about wattage, you have to specify RMS or peak, or any number is meaningless. 55W x7 RMS is a respectable output. 55W peak is a KMart boom box.

I have an Onkyo 702 that has plenty of power for home use at 75Wx7, particularly since my speakers have a separately powered subwoofer. Interestingly, the volume control is very nonlinear. Most volume controls are logarithmic, which pretty closely matches the response human ear. The Onkyo is even more nonlinear than that. At a volume level of 30, it is nearly inaudible. A volume level of 60 is the loudest I have ever used, and that was for segments of a rock concert music video. For home theater use, I set the volume about 55. I suppose the scale goes to 100. I should put on earplugs and try it sometime.

AGREED!! My Onkyo's kick BUTT!! 702 and 602!!

#20 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:38 AM

Fascinating thread--as an Onkyo owner, I can attest to the fact that you can get room filling volume from 75 watts per channel. In addition to my home theater receiver, I have an Onkyo stereo receiver that's around 20 years old, rated at 40 watts per channel into 8 ohms. I'm driving a pair of Acoustic Research AR-3's (yeah, 45 year old speakers :lol: ) with it. They're 4 ohm speakers with very low efficiency, but great sound quality even by today's standards. The receiver is NOT rated for 4 ohm speakers, but still works just fine!
Note to Jason: My Harmony remote is a 676, which I really like. My Home Theater Master remote is temporarily mothballed. Still a good remote, but the Harmony has lots more features and easy programming via the web.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

spam firewall