Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Worship on PAX may end soon - more subs for SA?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jegrant

jegrant

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:41 AM

It appears (according to their on-air campaign) that the Worship network's overnight carriage on the PAX network may soon come to an end.

(PAX plans to cease normal programming in June; they will apparently switch to 24/7 informercials pending the sale of their network owned & operated stations. The only challenge to this is by NBC, who owns 1/3rd of PAX and has recently entered arbitration with PAX.)

Given this situation, even though Worship is currently encouraging viewers to solicit local cable companies at http://www.iWantMyWorship.net/ - will this result in a noticeable subscriber gain at Sky Angel?

This will obviously also affect Guardian TV - although I would say they are probably in a better position than most PAX affiliates to substitute original programming or other syndicated programming for PAX network shows.

I wonder (perhaps) if the few PAX affiliates that are Christian-owned/managed may opt to carry (some of) the FaithTV programming?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JeffH

JeffH

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:00 PM

I sent an e-mail to GTN inquiring about their future plans regarding PAX. Here is their reply:

"We are still prayerfully considering our options as PAX changes are implemented. It is an incorrect perception painted by the press that PAX will only carry Infomercials. Their business plan is to open their air-time for sale to major labels like Sony MGM or Universal or others that have a vault of programming, both TV shows and movies, but no direct broadcast outlet to distribute them. These networks would buy their own time-slots and run entertainment programming and sell their own commercial time. PAX would provide the stations/the audience/the air-time and the buyers would provide the content.

We have already spoken to Sky Angel about bearing with us as we make that transition and work toward producing our own scripted programming.

Please pray that God provides us clear direction about programming and leads us to funding sources who believe in our mission and will help to invest in our future."

Dave

Dave Wilson
Operations Manager
WSFJ PAX 51 & Guardian Studios

I pray that God provide GTN clear direction in their future programming decisions.

Jeff

#3 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:33 PM

Worship TV is 1 of the sub-channels that broadcasts 24/7 on pax digital OTA stations

#4 OFFLINE   marko

marko

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:55 PM

I really enjoyed the digital broadcast of worship tv on pax. If it goes, not sure I would ever subscribe to SA though, but workship tv would be one reason to subscribe.

#5 OFFLINE   jegrant

jegrant

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 11:05 PM

I read something on Guardian TV's website back when they were first added to Sky Angel that gave me the impression they wanted to eventually have their own production company producing Christian content - I suppose these changes at PAX will accelerate that transition.

I do pray for Guardian TV and wish them the best in their ventures.

FWIW, this is the first I've heard about PAX's plans to actually lease time for real programming, not just infomercials. That is also interesting, but I wonder who will take them up on it?

#6 OFFLINE   JeffH

JeffH

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:29 AM

I really enjoyed the digital broadcast of worship tv on pax. If it goes, not sure I would ever subscribe to SA though, but workship tv would be one reason to subscribe.

I have been promoting Sky Angel to friends, family and church since 1997 and have always been amazed and disheartened at the lack of interest. I was once an Ind Rep. but discontinued due to time and discouragement. :confused:

Why would any Christian not want to subscribe to Sky Angel? Although I know that there are a few legitimate reasons, most have no excuse. The cost is not excessive by any means and there are many excellent programs and specials to choose from. Of course with any media, discernment is always necessary.

So my advise is, go ahead and subscribe and enjoy Worship (and other programming) 24/7 on Sky Angel. :)

Jeff

#7 OFFLINE   jrbdmb

jrbdmb

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:27 AM

FWIW, this is the first I've heard about PAX's plans to actually lease time for real programming, not just infomercials. That is also interesting, but I wonder who will take them up on it?

I would expect that any OTA / cable channel that sells time for infomercials would also be willing to sell that time to other content providers for general interest or religious programming - but up to now infomercials provide more revenue to the channel. Perhaps these other content providers will purchase prime-time hours, so that the local PAX stations don't become 24/7 infomercials.

#8 OFFLINE   RJS1111111

RJS1111111

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:39 AM

I have been promoting Sky Angel to friends, family and church since 1997 and have always been amazed and disheartened at the lack of interest. I was once an Ind Rep. but discontinued due to time and discouragement. :confused:

Why would any Christian not want to subscribe to Sky Angel? Although I know that there are a few legitimate reasons, most have no excuse. The cost is not excessive by any means and there are many excellent programs and specials to choose from. Of course with any media, discernment is always necessary.

So my advise is, go ahead and subscribe and enjoy Worship (and other programming) 24/7 on Sky Angel. :)

Jeff

I can agree with that. AFAIK, I'm still signed up as an SA ISR, but I haven't yet made even a single sale. Christian friends seem to have rather negative concepts about "Christian TV" ("too corny" or "too much fundraising"), and it's difficult to get past that with any positive message.

Apparently the number of subscribers is approaching the one million mark, though, which I'd predicted would be about the number needed to move forward with their ambitious ministry plans. So, subscriptions are being purchased, somewhere, but maybe not so much through ISRs.

I'd say that SA should probably set up booths with "live" downlinks showing some of the best programming that it carries, at all kinds of fairs and exhibitions nationwide that are well-attended.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,297 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:58 PM

Apparently the number of subscribers is approaching the one million mark,

The FCC filing for E* buying R1 listed SkyAngel as having 1 million subscribers.

BTW: SA will not be buying R1.
BTW2: When I got SkyAngel I ordered direct ... they asked plenty of questions to see who they could credit the referral to - I told them Evie!

JL

spam firewall